Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Howdy from the Lone Star State!

Hi all! New to the forum, AS's, and TT's in general. My wife and I did a lot of tent camping before the kids came along and are excited to get back out there now that the kids are older (9 & 10). We think we have settled on an AS in the 28 ft range, not ruling out the 25's or up to 30's, either. Open on year of trailer as well, trying to learn what years to look out for, though. Trying to stay in the cash purchase range, which for us in somewhere around 25K. This price point seems kind of like a minefield, but I guess any range can be. We look forward to getting to know some folks on the forum. Even only officially lurking for a short time has reminded us of the great people we met in campgrounds! I'm sure there will be lots of purchasing questions and the inevitable follow-up questions after bringing one home, so thanks in advance for having patience with me!

Dave & Alisa
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Welcome! Your on the right path here.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bought my next to last Silver Streak in Montgomery.

Texas has an abundance of aluminum trailers. There are those here who will help with inspections. But, the main thing is to view as many as possible. Whether or not you are buying.

A moisture meter with probe is a good tool for inspections ;among others). And, no such thing as too many pictures of a unit.

We're it me, I'd use 1996 as cutoff year for an AS. Depreciation is done, and chances of original owner is still fair to good. Coach condition should still be good (especially if stored under cover).

I'd also stick with 28' or longer. In reference my parents bought their 28' Silver Streak when I was in high school and sold it twenty seven years later when my son was in college. Room for family, and, later, space for extended travel in retirement.

Expect that bearing service, brake adjustment, and new tires may be required. So, get ahead now on those topics of research. .

Usually faster to use Google and type in airforums plus a somewhat specific topic.

Bob Jones RV has many recommendations for AS service.

If you can store at home, cover plus sewer and 30A service a very good idea.

Welcome, and good luck.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Try looking for Airstream Owners Club contacts at www.wbcci.org. Many members in Texas, and some are selling their trailers as they are traveling less, resizing, upgrading, downgrading. Good people, who are your good friends you haven't met yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Will do!!! Thank you, Tom! Zavalla is (almost) on the way to our parent's places. My wife and I both grew up about 30 minutes from Sam Rayburn Lake. I'd read a (maybe your) recommendation to someone about checking with AS-only campgrounds for units that may be up for sale. I'll get on that and see if I make any headway at the Zavalla one before checking into the Hillsboro one. Thanks again!!!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote