Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Howdy from the 3rd coast!

Howdy everyone, I am Nick, originally from south west Montana, now I reside in Corpus Christi Texas.

I have full-timed in an RV for 3 years, it helped me save enough money to get my current business going. I also have traveled extensively I have seen 47 states, 3 Canadian Provinces and Mexico. I have over a million miles towing behind me between pickups with trailers all the way up to 8 axle heavy hauls weighing in at 137,000 lbs.

I am also a Veteran of the US Navy.

I live with my girlfriend Kena

and my best buddy Dexter

(He also doubles as my security system )

I am looking around right now learning what I can, I really want an airstream, my last trailer was a screaming POS, this time around I really want to do it right.

I am thinking this winter I am going to pick up a 27-31' International, yank the shell off the frame and build a new stronger frame for it with 2x6x3/16" box tube for the rails, and 6x1.5x1/8" box tube for the cross members, along with air ride suspension, and im going to lift it and upgrade to 35" tires that are going to be the same as I am running on the tow vehicle I am hopefully picking up next week, it is a 51 Willys wagon that is also going to get the full frame treatment and it will be re-powered with a Chevy 327 with Vortec heads and a TBI setup, along with a NV4500 5 speed, 205 transfer-case, (possibly with a 203 doubler since I have 2 of em laying around) and a pair of Dana 60's I have been saving.

I have a serpentine drive setup that I have also picked up for it, and I am going to run a Vintage air AC/heat system in the Willys to keep it nice and cool on the hot Texas days.

The ultimate goal, and the reason for running 35" tires is that in a couple of years I am going to hook up to the AS point the whole works north and go as far north in Alaska as I can drive all the way up to Prudhoe Bay and back, and along the way I am going to take plenty of opportunities to go boon-docking and check out much of the path less traveled, the whole trip is going to take 2-3 months and will take me and mine through some of the most beautiful scenery known to mankind.

It should be a really great adventure.

Anyhow I am looking forward to meeting you all, I have done quite a bit of reading through the site, and it looks to me as though there are a pretty good group of folks here, and if anyone is down my way feel free to look me up - Nick
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Wow - and I thought I was mechanically inclined... not 'nuf to really grasp your set-up!

Anyway, I think I stumbled on a couple of your previous posts and appreciate your style of living. Your plans for Alaska made me think about the movie "Into The Wild". Great movie - except for the ending.

Wishing you & your girlfriend happy travels and luck on the Airstream! The larger units are usually easier to find at a decent price.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
West Montana to Corpus Christi?

Your in for Culture Shock, Weather Shock, Geographical Shock...etc. Welcome...!
If you have time, drive south to the Valley and look for your Airstream. The Winter Texans bring them down there and when situations change...they come up for sale at way good prices. The month of March and April seems to be the best. If you need one soon...PM me and I can tell you where a couple are now.....were two weeks ago.
Some real great Forum members right there around you in Corpus too.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to Airforums, Nick!

You certainly have some ambitious plans, plans that will take you at least a few weeks to complete!

And all the best to you, your lovely GF, and Dexter on the travel plans. Please be sure to document every little bit of what you do, we are hungry for pictures here!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Thanks guys, I am pretty excited about it, it is a big plan that is going to take a lot of hard work to make it happen, but I think in the end the experince will be well worth the while.