Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
Howdy

Hello all My name is Shane. I have been bitten by the Airstream bug and have been looking to get my first one. I am looking to buy one that I can fix up the way I want it. I have heard and read about staying away from the rear bath ones and try to avoid the very late 60 ones. I see a ton of them for sale on this site but I really dont know one from another yet. All I know is I would like one in the 28 to 30 foot range. I live near St. Louis so something close would make me smile. As long as I wouldnt need to do any frame work and can keep the cost under 5k I would like to buy one. Any help in finding a good one would be great. Thanks for you time. I am going to start reading post now and get my self informed the best I can.
Flysoncloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uoshane View Post
Hello all My name is Shane. I have been bitten by the Airstream bug and have been looking to get my first one. I am looking to buy one that I can fix up the way I want it. I have heard and read about staying away from the rear bath ones and try to avoid the very late 60 ones. I see a ton of them for sale on this site but I really dont know one from another yet. All I know is I would like one in the 28 to 30 foot range. I live near St. Louis so something close would make me smile. As long as I wouldnt need to do any frame work and can keep the cost under 5k I would like to buy one. Any help in finding a good one would be great. Thanks for you time. I am going to start reading post now and get my self informed the best I can.
Welcome to the forums! By "can keep the cost under 5K", do you mean purchase price or final cost?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
purchase price and I could go a little more if it is worth it. I have just set my starting budget at 5k to buy one with.

Is the rear bath thing really that bad? It seems all the ones I see on here have rear bath. I really like the mid bath layout.

I have a 2002 keystone that got real wet with a leak so I have lots of parts to start with.......stove/oven/fridge/ac heat/ water heater all that stuff is like brand new.

I dont mind one that needs a floor just need a good frame.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums, Shane. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place to learn before you buy.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Welcome, Shane! The forums can be your learning tool to understand not only cost/value of AS's but how to select the right one for you and your needs... Have fun learning, I did...

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Shane welcome to AirForums, there is much information on here as well as many trailers for sale so I hope you find what you are looking for. Start in our classified ads, I also have one listed on there, it is a 1976 Soveriegn 31.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Welcome Shane,
The only thing I could add is, finding out what the price of parts are from a Airstream Dealership will give you an idea of how much you’re going to have to spend on your desired projects. Also learn what "frame rote" and "rear-end sag" is. Knowing how large a project is will give you an idea of what you are willing to pay. The above to mentioned projects are very large ones.

Dan
Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I have found the AS I want here in St. Louis. A member here in the forum has a 1953 flying cloud that he has started to restore. If he sees this post maybee he will chime in. The wife and I are very excited to finish his dream. I don't know if he has pics up here or not but I will when it is officially ours. I think his screen name is ArmyMedic or something close. He is also the one that got me to this forum to start with and I have spent almost every waking hour reading everything I can. I am so glad he got me here before I made a grave mistake and bought something I shouldn't have.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
I had his name wrong. His name is soldiermedic. He has his starting pics and stories in the 1953 flying cloud section. I really owe him and very big thank you!