Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Pauline , South Carolina
Howdy

I'm new to the forum. We just bought an '89 29ft Excella. New Fridge and 4 new tires later she looks great. Her name is Miss Pearl and she lives in upstate SC. Her top, front and rear plasticoat is fading/worn. Is this a redo I can do myself?
MissPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Hello and welcome.

You could certainly strip the balance of the clear coat off yourselves but recoating it is pretty much a job left to those who are equipped with the proper equipment and have access to the materials. The clearcoat on your trailer is not the same as that applied to cars. I like to do my own maintenance but clearcoating and anything to do with propane I leave to the professionals.

I had mine done three years ago and did save a couple hundred bucks by stripping it myself but it was still almost a grand to get it done. So far it is holding up pretty well. There is no great hurry unless you live on the coast (then you can get some agressive corrossion).

Again, welcome and if you would like to know how to strip it justdo a search -- there will be lots of responses.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote