Old 08-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Howdy

My name is Ken as you can tell this is my very first post. I came here to get information on Airstream MotorHomes. I have always been in love with the 1973-1978 GMC MotorHomes. I was on another site and noticed an Airstrean MH, which I believe was a 1979 and I think the first year of production. It seems a lot shinier then the next years model. When did Airstream stop making the All Aluminum MH? The GMC MH were eith 23" or 26'. I don't believe Airstream ever made one that small, but I could be wrong. So, I'm here and I want you to sell me on buying an Aluminum Airstream.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJ
My name is Ken as you can tell this is my very first post. I came here to get information on Airstream MotorHomes. I have always been in love with the 1973-1978 GMC MotorHomes. I was on another site and noticed an Airstrean MH, which I believe was a 1979 and I think the first year of production. It seems a lot shinier then the next years model. When did Airstream stop making the All Aluminum MH? The GMC MH were eith 23" or 26'. I don't believe Airstream ever made one that small, but I could be wrong. So, I'm here and I want you to sell me on buying an Aluminum Airstream.
Welcome Kenny!
I am far from being a Motorhome expert, but I believe that Airstream ( or Argosy) made a 24ft Motorhome. It was the same profile as the larger ones, just a few feet shorter.
Welcome to Airstream Forums!

Old 08-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
and a 20 footer!

welcome aboard ken!

john
Old 08-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
this may be a good place to look!

http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/mh.html

john
Old 08-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Hi Kennyj and welcome. I have a 79 and love it. I recently saw a 20' for sale on craigslist here in the San Francisco area. Also, I've seen several on rvtraderonline.com Good luck on your search. joe
Old 08-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
this may be a good place to look!

http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/mh.html

john
John, thank you for the link. Seems like most of you here own Trailers only. Are there not a lot of MH owners here. Don't get me wrong, the Airstream trailers are in a class by themselves. If I had something to tow with, I would own one too.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlover
Hi Kennyj and welcome. I have a 79 and love it. I recently saw a 20' for sale on craigslist here in the San Francisco area. Also, I've seen several on rvtraderonline.com Good luck on your search. joe
Thanks Joe.
Actually I am looking for something in the 26'-31' range. I want to be able to use all Recreationally places. Although I know some of my friends can't get into some Campgrounds because their trailers or MH are over 10-15 years old. A stupid rule, but seeing how some people treat their trailers and MH, I can see how they justify it. Believe me, I have been looking a long time and there is a lot of junk that people are trying to get rid of.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Welcome Kenny!
I am far from being a Motorhome expert, but I believe that Airstream ( or Argosy) made a 24ft Motorhome. It was the same profile as the larger ones, just a few feet shorter.
Welcome to Airstream Forums!
Thanks UWE, you have a nice looking trailer.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kenny, just look into the forums under Motorhomes and you'll find lots of us are MOHO owners. Most of these folks are off and running over the weekend and will likely jump into this thread as they return from their weekend of fun.
Welcome to the forum. Like you I loved the look of the GMC/Chevy motorhomes but chose to go with Airstream because of the support here and the availability of parts for the P30 chassis.
I use my rig as a daily driver for my business so mine is somewhat different from others and I take the weekends off.
Use the search feature for all your questions and explore all the subforums under motorhomes.
AS MoHo's come painted, dull, shiney and polished....pick one and go have fun.
Once you contract what we call "aluminitus" you'll never go back!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Availability of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Welcome to the forum. Like you I loved the look of the GMC/Chevy motorhomes but chose to go with Airstream because of the support here and the availability of parts for the P30 chassis.
Once you contract what we call "aluminitus" you'll never go back!
Hi GlenCoombe, so far everyone here seems real friendly. I heard the opposite about availability of parts for the Airstreams as opposed to the GMC. This is my one big concern. The older GMC MH, you can go to any Chevy dealership, local part stores or even WalMart to get your parts. I have been told that a windshield alone would cost me over a $1000 on the Airstreams. I am debating on the GMC, The Airstream Engine or the Airstream Diesel. I believe I want to stay under 1990 on the Airstream. I'm here to learn and to find the correct info from the people that buy and use these MH.

Ken
Old 08-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Kenny J--I think you may be reversed on your thinking of MH parts availability. Many (or all, not sure) of the A/S MH's are on GM P-30 chassis, with good parts availability. The GMC MH's front drive is from the Olds front wheel drive Toronado of the same vintage. When the Toronado, and similar Eldorado went, 30-years ago, so went availability of a lot of the parts that were unique to those cars. I believe the GMC MH windshield is also unique to the vehicle. Try and find a front wheel bearing, and if you do find one, you may need a bank loan to afford it.--Frank S
Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Ontario , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi Kenny J--I think you may be reversed on your thinking of MH parts availability. Many (or all, not sure) of the A/S MH's are on GM P-30 chassis, with good parts availability. The GMC MH's front drive is from the Olds front wheel drive Toronado of the same vintage. When the Toronado, and similar Eldorado went, 30-years ago, so went availability of a lot of the parts that were unique to those cars. I believe the GMC MH windshield is also unique to the vehicle. Try and find a front wheel bearing, and if you do find one, you may need a bank loan to afford it.--Frank S
Frank S, that is why I am here to learn from you guys and gals that own these. If I am going to learn, I need to listen to those that own them. Thanks again,

Ken