Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Howdy

Hi, I’m new to the Airstream Forum. I don’t have an Airstream at this time but as soon as I can retire I plan to live and travel in an Airstream full time.
HighRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
Welcome to the Forum! You are among kindred spirits!
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome!

If you can afford it, you might consider buying your Airstream before you retire, and take short trips every time you get time off from work.

I did exactly that. I bought my Airstream in December 2011, but didn't retire until January 2015. In the three years in between, I took at least 10 trips a year, ranging from 3 days to 9 days in duration. That gave me plenty of time to get used to all of the systems and decide whether Airstreaming really was a suitable retirement lifestyle for me. Every trip was "retirement practice." Then, when I retired and I could devote more time to Airstreaming, I was already past the steep learning curve and I could jump straight to enjoying the experience. In fact, I celebrated my retirement by going to the 2015 Canopener rally less than a week after I retired, going early and staying late just because I finally could set my own schedule.

In New Orleans, there used to be a radio and television personality named Frank Davis. When he was being interviewed one time, the interviewer asked him, "What is the secret to your success?" He answered, three things: one, find something you really enjoy doing; two, do that thing better than anyone else; and three, find someone who will pay you to do it."

I attempted to apply that philosophy when I tried Airstreaming. I found that I really enjoyed doing it during all of my retirement practice. After three years of practice beforehand, I was pretty good at it, though I'd never presume to call myself the best at Airstreaming. And I consider my monthly retirement check as payment to go Airstreaming. So to my mind that makes me both a successful retiree and a successful Airstreamer.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum. It's good to have you with us!

Just a comment about buying an AS when you retire, I wish I would have bought mine 10 years sooner! FWIW!

Are you thinking of a new unit or a used one?
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
HighRoad,

Welcome to the forums and a future welcome to Airstreaming. I couldn't agree more with the preceding comments. (Welcome back Pro). We started about 10 years before we retired and because I "vacationed out" at retirement, my first official day as retired we were traveling in our Airstream photographing waterfalls. I loved every job I ever had and every one more that the one before, but this is truly the best job I've ever had. (Airstreaming and the people we've met and now call friends are an important part of that.)

We wish the same for you,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoad View Post
Hi, I’m new to the Airstream Forum. I don’t have an Airstream at this time but as soon as I can retire I plan to live and travel in an Airstream full time.
Hello HighRoad, welcome to the forums. Greetings from central Kentucky. If you're planning on buying a used Airstream, you should start your search now. Hope you enjoy your retirement travels.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote