Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
How to assess 2004 25' Classic

Hi Gang,
I've got a line on a 2004 25' twin Classic and would appreciate forum knowledge on common troubles, repairs and upgrades to look for, and "fixes" to be aware of/stay away from. I'm getting shaky just hoping this is the one, and don't want to lose my head. Once I get a better idea of what I'm going to be looking at, I'll try to arrange for an inspector, but don't want to jump the gun.

I've looked at the NADA and it comes in between 19 and 23 depending on options and condition. Is it true that NADA tends to be low on AS?

Stories, ideas, lucky events, all welcome!
I've gleaned from these pages that I should expect to upgrade from drum to disc brakes, and sure enough, the spec sheet lists this one as having drum brakes.

Does this model tend to have a good heater? 25,000 btu w/electric ignition. How about the AC? 15000 BTU w/ heat pump.
Does the skylight pose any problems or is it awesome?
How easily can I upgrade these lights to the new LED lights and is it advisable? What other upgrades would you suggest? It's listed as having 15' radial tires--I'll have to find out how many miles.

Is this the model where the front stone guards tend to come loose and fall off? What should I look for?

Those are all the questions I can think of so far--except where's the obvious places to check for moisture?

Thanks to all of you for helping out this newbie stricken w/ aluminitus!
Kathy
Could it be possible that I'll be camping in my AS this summer??!!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have a minute before I go so here's a couple of answers.

The air conditioner is adequate and is large a single roof air as you can get. It should perform well in most instances.

The heater is adequate for spring, summer and fall. It may be somewhat satisfactory even when temps get down to 20. But these trailers are marginal for winter conditions where it gets cold. Some people do manage with extraordinary means.

Tires, check mfg date as well as miles. Age is a factor here.

Most people don't choose to upgrade the brakes. Probably the disks are better however. The drums can be maintained quite inexpensively.

I haven't had trouble with the rock guards and haven't noticed a lot of comments about them.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Brakes will probably be OK. If you are doing a lot of mountain trips with a small TV you might consider the change. I don't know for sure about the rock guards problem. (possibly) A lot of the led is a matter of taking the lens off and putting the led in. If you have any florescent lights then they will be more of a problem.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, the drum brakes work fine, you don't need discs. Proper usage of your transmission, your tow vehicle brakes, and your trailer brakes is all you need. I had my trailer in below freezing temps for about a week; It got as low as zero and never above freezing and our furnace kept us warm. But in those temps, plan on using a lot of propane. My trailer only has the 11,000 BTU air conditioner and it has always kept us cool enough. On the tires, the first thing you need to check is the DOT date code. Next condition, like cracks in the sidewalls, flat spots, or unusual wear pattern. Mileage and tread depth means little on a trailer. Most people never wear out trailer tires. I have only heard of a few segment protectors coming loose, so it can happen, but not that common. As for leaks, you need to check and or reseal all roof vents, all compartment doors, and all wrap around windows. Check the floor for water damage, mostly in the front, rear, and entrance door areas. My opinion, from what I have read on this forum, is that the sky lights are nothing but trouble.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
My 2009 25FB had a 13,500 A/C in it, kept cool in summer, heat pump mode was good to about 35 where you need to switch over to the propane furnace which does fine down to 10 degrees and no issues. Furnace more pleasant (quiet) then heat pump with heat coming from lower ducts - favorite way to heat trailer but does use some propane.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Danville , Virginia
Trailer evaluation

The main thing is to make sure EVERYTHING works, and an exhaustive check will drive the owner nuts. All appliances in both electric and gas mode, shore power and battery, all lights, outlets, faucets (shore water and pump), drains, valves, doors and latches. All keys present and accounted for? Any deficiencies can be a bargaining tool, as most airstreams go for considerably over NADA.. so much so that the "book" seems totally disconnected from the market. I agree with the prior posts re. brakes and tires... if the tires are original they are aged out and need immediate replacement. Check the battery dates, deep cycle batteries are only rated for 2 years, and mfgrs. have made those age-out dates a fine science. I changed all my lights to led, inside and out... superbrightled.com seems to have both the best selection and prices. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter241 View Post
Hi Gang,
I've got a line on a 2004 25' twin Classic and would appreciate forum knowledge on common troubles, repairs and upgrades to look for, and "fixes" to be aware of/stay away from. I'm getting shaky just hoping this is the one, and don't want to lose my head. Once I get a better idea of what I'm going to be looking at, I'll try to arrange for an inspector, but don't want to jump the gun.

I've looked at the NADA and it comes in between 19 and 23 depending on options and condition. Is it true that NADA tends to be low on AS?
I would be surprised if you could buy a trailer in good condition at those prices. Some people believe that NADA's methods for RV pricing are not as rigorous as for used car pricing.

Quote:
Stories, ideas, lucky events, all welcome!
I've gleaned from these pages that I should expect to upgrade from drum to disc brakes, and sure enough, the spec sheet lists this one as having drum brakes.
I have drum brakes on my 30' classic and have been satisfied with their performance. I have no plans to replace them.

Quote:
Does this model tend to have a good heater? 25,000 btu w/electric ignition.
You should find that to be sufficient down to below zero temperatures as long as the trailer is protected from the wind. I have had some problems with the heat distribution being uneven with my 30' which I have corrected through upgrades (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ack-71852.html). I would guess that a rear-bedroom 25' would have the same problems.

Quote:
How about the AC? 15000 BTU w/ heat pump.
It's the largest offered. You'll find it's insufficient on hot, windy days in full sun.

Quote:
Does the skylight pose any problems or is it awesome?
They sometimes leak and there have rare instances of breakage and of the covers flying off while on the road. Some people have replaced them with Maxim skylights. Mine are still stock and haven't posed any problems.

Quote:
How easily can I upgrade these lights to the new LED lights and is it advisable?
Replacing the fluorescent lights with LEDs isn't advisable because the LEDs aren't appreciably more efficient. You may wish to replace the tubes with higher efficiency tubes with better color rendition (see the link in my next reply)

Quote:
What other upgrades would you suggest? It's listed as having 15' radial tires--I'll have to find out how many miles.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f519...ods-68375.html
Quote:

Is this the model where the front stone guards tend to come loose and fall off? What should I look for?
I'm not aware of this being a problem.

Quote:
Those are all the questions I can think of so far--except where's the obvious places to check for moisture?
The gasket around the sewer vent on the roof is usually the first thing to go. After purchase you should consider having a leak test performed where air is blown into the interior and soap solution applied to the outside. Any leaks would become obvious.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The other general advice you've received is good. With any used RV you want to check everything, but the areas where you're most likely to run into expensive repairs (other than correcting rot from leaks that weren't fixed in time) are the fridge, air conditioning, and furnace.

Also a unit subjected to freezing temperatures without being winterized may require extensive plumbing repairs, so you will want to confirm that the plumbing more or less works.

You'll need a weight-distributing sway control hitch, which might be included in the sale.

The batteries, brakes, wheel bearings, and tires require periodic replacement so for planning purposes you should allow for doing all those in the first couple of years unless everything was just done.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard

We have the same trailer, one year older....good choice.

One of the first things I did when we got our Classic home was climb up on the roof. You can see one of the things I found, black tank vent leak and cracks around all the skylight mount screws. I re-sealed both. The cracks in the skylight finally caused a leak and it was just replaced this Spring.

Fully agree with all that others have said. It is MOST important to check all functions, making sure everything is working properly. If original, the tires should be replaced.

Inspect closely for evidence of leaks. I just discovered some in the rear storage compartments and trunk. If carpeted, make sure they are dry. Inspect around all seals, anywhere the skin was breached, windows, door, vents etc. The tell-tale trails are usually pretty evident inside.
Rock guards never a problem, brakes, basic, reliable (no acti-brake system) and adequate.

Most of our issues occurred within the first few seasons, so in that regard you may not have any nasty surprises.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Sweet Streams
Attached Images

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Thanks for the GREAT response

The information and comments y'all have provided are a huge help. We may be arranging a visit to see the trailer and I'll keep you posted on our progress.
As some have said, the quest and research can be an enjoyable part of the process.
Many, many thanks for the information and support that you give. I love this community!
Oh, and I also have about 999 more questions! I'll organize my thoughts and post later on--probably first do some more reading in the forums as a lot of the answers are already here. Thanks again!
Kathy
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Brought Home a Beauty!

Today we brought home the beautiful dream stream a 2004 Classic twin and her TV, a 2004 F250.

The amazing POs allowed me and my buddies to go over all systems and appliances. All worked beautifully. A few dents and scratches add personality.

POs were so kind to this noobie--delivered the rig and even gave us hitching lessons! Feeling blessed and lucky and grateful!!

Pics to come, just had to brag, and change my profile pic & status.
Thanks to all of you who helped on and off lineóIím sure Iíll have many more projects and questions and am so excited to be part of this family.

Now gotta practice backing and go camping! YEEEeeeeHAAaaaaa! I got an Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Predelivery_photo2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	133672  
Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Congratulations looks beautiful!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Congrats! Looks awesome!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Another NYS Airstream, silver and white too!!! LOOKS GREAT.

Congrats, real good choice on such a sweet used unit, any questions just ask away!!!

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 25' classic, drum brakes, stone guards, led