Old 04-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Paula, You are too funny. Love reading your replies.

Myra, Since you prefer Vintage have you checked the vintage.com site
this is done by Mr. Dial. You can select the year the size and there are photos for each Airstream.

Perhaps you could locate one with a full bed. Check this out. There are a few more sites will look them up and PM to you soon. Aria

Old 04-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Barry,

By the way, I looked at the pics of your '51 Flying Cloud and it is just gorgeous. Lucky you.

M.W.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
All Airstreams are beautiful. The owners make them what they like. It takes time and you will have one Beautiful Airstream. It is a labor of love.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #74
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I bought a 25' Safari from Fred at CA. Airstream Fontana. Didn't need their service dept for any warranty work. Mine was one of the lesser equipped Safari models, was surprisingly affordable in '05. Expect a healthy discount. The total cost of the trailer payment and RV park rent will be shockingly less than what you're paying for rent.

I could full-time in mine with no problem. I have stayed weeks at a time in my trailer.

It may be possible to tow a 25 with the most stout F150, but I would recommend the F250 with the gas V8 or V10 and shop hard for price. It probably won't be much more expensive than the 150.

Check out the 23' model. I think that would be within the range of a strong half-ton.

Since where you stay is important, check out
RVparkreviews.com :: Home

Most reviews have links to the campground website.

Personally, especially for a newbie at towing, I'd recommend staying weekly or monthly in an area. This gets you the best campground rates. Then thoroughly tour the area before moving on. As opposed to dragging the trailer from one overnight stop to the next for long periods of time.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
1988 25' Excella
cedar lake , Indiana
Hi Myra,
Now, may I add a few words of wisdom....I have a 1960 22' Safari. The floor plan makes the difference. I just spent 6 months driving around the south of the USA. My traveling companions were 2 cats and a Cocker Spaniel. We had a grand time and as soon as I get business taken care of I am off again.
I used the bathtub for the liter cat station, worked great. Kept the mess contained. My floor plan has the dinette in front. One side has stove/sink and on the other fridge. The bed was most important to me. I put in a "real" mattress. There are two closets and a dresser. Lots and lots of storeage for all of those shoes....I had company/ traveling friends and they slept in the front where the dinette makes into a double bed. We would leave the beds as beds. It worked very nicely.
I use a 98 Dodge Ram, V 8. I like the truck idea you can haul additional things. Like a bike, cooler just stuff you accumulate over the time you travel it will be your storage space.
I stayed in parks, yards, fields, camp grounds. The cost is very reasonable. Fuel is your expense.
Size will matter in towing and places you can go.
good luck maybe I will see you on the road
Hoosier Gypsy
Old 04-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks tpi and HoosierGypsy, for your comments and advice. I'm reading all these posts, not once, but several times so that all the info sinks it.

Hoosier, it sounds like you are able to full-time in your vintage just fine. Bed is important to me, too, I decided. I want a real mattress, something cozy with lots of pillows and my down comforter on top. I think I would use the bathtub for a bathtub and try to find another option for the kitty litter box, like putting a kitty door in a drawer space.

At least with the '60 Safari you have less weight to tow, so maybe that saves on gas. What is your mileage while towing?

Myra

"
Old 04-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Myra, thanks for the kind comments on my FC. I'm very pleased with how it's turned out, but as always it is a continuing project with updates and redoing things as time allows.

I don't want to dissuade you from pursuing a vintage trailer if that is what you want. If you do purchase one and it doesn't work out they retain their value very well and you can move on to something larger/newer. I just want to make sure you are aware that with vintage comes other considerations that need to be kept in mind. If you do pursue a vintage unit make sure you get it at a competitive price so that if it does turn out you want to move up, you can at the very least realize back your investment.

The all important thing is, no matter what you buy if it is used, be sure you have someone who knows trailers check it out for you before you lay down your money. There are some spectacular vintage units out there for sale and many of them could work well. There are a few where looks are great but functionality may be an issue or repairs required sooner than later.

There are some pretty creative ideas on this forum for dealing with kitty litter, including one where the lady has put it under the bed in a cupboard, and has one of the outside storage doors open with a screen across it for that much needed ventilation, and there have been other ideas as well that all seem to work for their pets. In any unit where space is at a premium there will be some level of sacrifice but can we ever do enough for our little fur friends?

Take care,
Barry
Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #78
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
Barry,

Thanks for all the good info. I'm starting to think the vintage trailers are for "collectors" and not "full timers." That stinks because I really love the vintage ones. They have so much character.

M.W.
Myra, if you want vintage, but don't want "collector quality" vintage, you can look for a late 60's/early 70's coach, in 24'-26' size. Starting in 1969, they were another 7 inches or so wider, so you can decide if you want the living space of the "new" ones, or the towability of the "older" ones. Starting in the 80's, Airstreams went on a weight-gain program, with the end result today of them weighing twice what they did in the 60's and 70's.
24' and up have beds that don't have to be made daily, and the tandem axle units tow better, and you can back them up easier, as the two axles tend to resist jacknifing.
You can get a unit in good shape that doesn't shine like a mirror in those sizes for much less than $10,000, and keep the leftover cash to buy a good tow vehicle.
Just have someone look at them before plunking down your hard-earned cash, to be as sure as possible they will be trouble free.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #79
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I tend to be with Barry on this one. I love vintage cars, but would never use one as a daily driver. For that my wife has an 07 Expedition and I have an 05 F-250. I'd love to have a mid-50's Thunderbird or 'Vette, to drive to classic car rallies, yes, but not as a daily driver.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hi Terry,

Thanks. I'm researching the years you suggest. I have a feeling it's going to take a while before I find the right one.

M.W.

"
Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #81
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
Hi Terry,

Thanks. I'm researching the years you suggest. I have a feeling it's going to take a while before I find the right one.

M.W.
If you want an Airstream with a grey water tank, you are limited to 1974 and newer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
If you want an Airstream with a grey water tank, you are limited to 1974 and newer.
Those can be added from what I understand?

"
Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #83
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Not very easily. They were not designed for them. The time they are usually added is the shell off restoration.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #84
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Not very easily. They were not designed for them. The time they are usually added is the shell off restoration.
Our Argosy 20 had a 10 gallon grey tank retrofitted to it, cost to the PO was about $500. The black and grey tanks then were 10 gallons each. Some 73 models came with grey tanks also, that is something to check over before purchase.