Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #1

2006 16' International CCD
Erwinna , Pennsylvania
How do you find the best campgrounds?

My husband and I just bought our first RV last year, a 16' Limited Edition Quicksilver Bambi, and we are having the most fun with it and are thrilled to be a part of this community. We've found some wonderful campgrounds in the NE, which I will try to post pictures/info on later. For now, what is the best way to find more sites? We've had a lot of luck using Frommer's, but there's nothing like feedback from "real" folks. Where is this kind of info featured on this site? Thanks!
KrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
One place you can look is in the 'reviews" section, but be aware that not all that many CGs are rated at this point. Another approach is to use the search function entering the area you want to camp in as the term. You can also start a thread if you are going to a given area and ask people for advice. It helps to know what kind of CG you like. For example, are you a resort-full hookup type, a NF CG type, or a boondocker. Stating your preference in the thead will make it easier for people to respond.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hi Kris, try these;
campgroundreviews.com :: Home

northeast campground reviews at That's Camping™

You will make lots of new friends and build a database of favorite campgrounds eventualy.
You will also find some losers along the way...

State and NP have the best sites/privacy, but usually no hook ups...

Have fun finding your favs!

Bill
Old 05-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
In the eye of the beholder

"best" Campground is a relative term! I saw a post by our pal Moosetags where he stayed in one of our local campgrounds and had a favorable impression. I would have lost a sizable bet on that one. We stayed at a full service paved resort in Texas that my wife loved, spa, heated pool, they even had a rental car delivered to our campsite! In my opinion it was ok but she loved it. I perfer something completely different, such as Piney Grove in north Mississippi where the nearest Ice is 20 miles but the view of the lake is stunning (and boring as the wife would probably add).
Having said that, add in what your expectations are during an outing. Golf? Fishing? Shopping? Do you need full hookups? lots of room? Isolation or neighbors to meet?
The good part is there are camping locations that will meet everyones "best" definition and finding them is part of the fun.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
As the thread I started "Kicked out of a Campground" demonstrates, you can't even go by the reviews in the camping guides, and it's all a matter of taste. The now infamous Seacliff boasts a 10 in the Foghorn Outdoors guide. Even if we hadn't gotten kicked out by the rude camp "host" I wouldn't rate "camping" in a parkinglot a 10...no matter how pretty the view. SequoiaCoast says that we got shunted into the "overflow" and that the regular sites are better. We have the Trailer Life guide that is the size of the phone directory for a major metropolitan city but it doesn't list a lot of state parks which I think are the best places to camp. It's more focused on the private parks. And, the times we've stayed at the parks listed they have been pretty close to what's described.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I use word of mouth, Woodall's, internet, and personal experience. I have had a few bad experiences with Woodall's but the good has always out weighed the bad.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Kris, you've asked what seems to be a pretty straightforward question, but I suspect there's more to it.

First of all, I think we can all agree that a crappy campground or RV park is just a crappy campground or RV park. End of story, or so it seems.

You see, I think it's also important to understand why you're in a given location and to weigh its importance.

Here are some examples from some of our recent trips:

1. We were thinking about seeing a small national monument located between Zion National Park and Fredonia, AZ. Presumably there was an RV park right next door. So we drove in and looked at the park: Bunches of gravel, some little trees, a servicably clean restroom for showers. Met by a guy wearing a dirty t-shirt, beer in hand, cigarette hanging out of mouth. Park was pretty sad, too. We decided that we'd just as soon come back to the national monument at some future point when we could just do it while passing through, not staying at that park.

2. On our way to Zion, we got a late start (doesn't everybody), so made as much headway as we could the first day out and landed in Farmington. Pulled into a small RV park next to a busy street with bunches of gravel, some little trees, a servicably clean restroom for showers. I wouldn't dream of staying there more than just one night, but it was worth it to get off the highway, rest, and pull out the next morning on our trek.

3. One of our favorite parks is a small one up in Bluff, UT. In reality, there isn't a lot to the park: Bunches of gravel, some little trees, a servicably clean restroom for showers. But it's location, location, location: Bluff is smack in beautiful red-rock canyon country! We spend a week if we can!

4. In Moab, we needed a night in a park to stock up, dump, resupply with water, take last showers before heading off to Deadhorse Point for a week. Pulled into a park with -- guess what? -- bunches of gravel, some little trees, a servicably clean restroom for showers. Spent a pleasant night and headed out the next morning.

So, then, when you read all of this, what's good and what's bad? Well, the only really bad one was the first one, though, in a sense, mainly because of the guy who came out to meet us.

However, you do discover a common thread in these little narratives: These parks can be somewhat equal, but a really important factor is what the surrounding area offers, and how the area's offerings can influence your decision on where to stay.

My advice, then, is always to look first at where you want to go, that is, at the area. If the area is really that great, you'd be surprised at how "easy" it becomes to locate a park!

Lynn
Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
And he didn't mention.....

a great RV park in Angel Fire, New Mexico.... with gravel and little trees, clean restrooms....but my oh my the view!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to be surrounded by mountains in clean, fresh air, gorgeous pines, quaint towns, and great shopping just a few miles away through the mountains, then that's where you want to be.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Consider, though, sometimes you don't visit a place for the nearby activities. We often visit state parks for things that are right there in the park. You need to think about what you want from your own particular camping experience.

Mrs. RedSHED
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
a great RV park in Angel Fire, New Mexico.... with gravel and little trees, clean restrooms....but my oh my the view!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to be surrounded by mountains in clean, fresh air, gorgeous pines, quaint towns, and great shopping just a few miles away through the mountains, then that's where you want to be.
Oh, gawd, now I'm embarrassed!

Lynn