Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

1974 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Home Away from Home

Not too far away: in my backyard!

so my grown nephew has been paying to store his airstream since he's no longer living in it (that was a short-lived experiment, now he's back in school) and my husband and I are having some major remodeling done later this year. So I figured we could save money, kill two birds with one stone, and keep our dog in her own yard if we just let him park his airstream on our lot so we can crash there when we get kicked out of the main house. We prepared the site and converter our fence to a large double gate and on Sunday my brother-in-law entertained the whole street by backing in the airstream. That night we had four tornadoes swirl around our area (that never happens here) and I wondered if it was a bad omen! The next morning I found two leaks in the airstream. But at least it didn't land in Oz.

Truth be told, I've wanted an Airstream my whole life, so I'm kind of excited about the whole thing, but I'm also a total newbie and have dozens of questions -I don't even know what most of them are yet. First off, I'm wondering how best to hook up electrical to the house, esp since the main electricity will likely be cut off during remodeling...is there a way I can still get electric to the trailer? Likewise for water. Also, I want to help with upkeep and repairs (like those leaks), but since it's not technically MY airstream I want to be sure I'm making things better and not worse. I also would like to help him with improvements he said he'd like to make, like upgrading A/C and fridge. Did I mention I'm in Texas? I really need that A/C to work well! Can I add a window unit I have to the airstream? Just while it's parked...not on the road.

Looking forward to the adventure,
Diane
HomeAwayTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
You'll always need electricity even on a new building site. If the parking spot isn't close to electric (in a field?) Call the co op or power company to drop in a meter loop and then have your electrician do the rest with a circuit panel and dedicated 30-50 amp supply to the airstream. What about a sewer line, gonna need that too. Water lines? Close with a long garden hose? How old and what model coach do you have? Welcome and congratulations on your prized possession.

Bill
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Remodeling, you'll still have power, just make sure you know how to wire the circuit, it's not 240v, even though the plug looks like a dryer plug. I'd run a separate breaker to a post in the yard.

Make sure the remodeling is far enough away so you don't get hit by a Bobcat or dump truck.

I think it would be a sacrilege to put a window unit in an airstream, but I'm sure it's been done. There are some stand alone units that stay inside.

Oh, yeah, the sewer line will be an adventure. Not impossible, but maybe a plumber can put a clean out fitting above ground, and you can connect to it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Check local codes too. In our town, a trailer can be used on our lot for 2 weeks a year. It can sit there indefinitely, unused. They don't pay too much attention (we once stayed in it for 6 weeks while we were remodeling). But you'd hate to have authorities come around half way through, and kick you out.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

1974 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Hadn't even considered local code issues! Will have to look into it. I'm very close to the house (<50'), so should be able to reach water and electric panel easily. A neighbor with a newer rv came by tonight and says she can help me install the 30amp breaker. My contractor says that I'll be able to access the half bath throughout most of the project, so that will do for sewage but it doesn't have a shower. May need to sponge bath or set up my camp shower out in the yard. I said "adventure," didn't I?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Have a blast
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #7

1974 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

Make sure the remodeling is far enough away so you don't get hit by a Bobcat or dump truck.

I think it would be a sacrilege to put a window unit in an airstream, but I'm sure it's been done. There are some stand alone units that stay inside.
Good point re the bobcat -yikes! hopefully I'm far enough from the main structure but I'll confirm that with the contractor. An inside A/C might be just the trick! I can take the heat (native Texan here), but my husband and dog will need more comfort esp if this project pushes much past April. It gets mighty hot down here by April Fools Day at the latest.