Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hi! We're new here :-)

In the last week we bought our first Airstream...an '76 24ft Argosy. We found it on CL here in the Northwest. We went over the very next night and bought it. What the heck did we get into!? Lol...in pics its not so bad, but this community knows different! We are not purists, so this AS will not be restored to its original glory but hopefully...better than! We are a family of 5 that live in the Seattle area. Our hopes for this trailer are to totally gut the interior. That includes pulling the interior skins, replacing insulation (bad smell), reinstall the skins and repaint them with a nice warm color. We will be replacing the front goucho with a banquet. New cabinetry throughout. New 10gallon hot water tank, furnace and a new AC unit. The PO tore it out and replaced it with a skylight. The twin beds will have new bunks above them. The bath vanity will be resurfaced. All the floors will be replaced, not sure if the sub floor needs to be done just yet. We do know that the dividing walls need to be replaced as well. Whew! That's not so fun now that I have typed it. Here's the kicker...its got to be done by June! Wish us luck! P.s....thank you to all...I've already learned so much from reading thru the threads. P.s.s The family just came up with her name... Kalakala (Seattle's First Ferry, if you Google her, she looks similar to an AS) She's our first trailer and will hopefully take us to many new places!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.facebook_850088295.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	149139  
terrytrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the Airforums Bamrabnw! We are glad you found us... Your new project sounds like fun! and it has to be ready by June?

We will be there in spirit.. and we love pictures!

Welcome aboard!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Nice report bamrabnw. Welcome to the forum!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome fellow Argonauts! We really enjoy our '75 Argosy24 and have found it to be a fun and relatively reliable trailer. Lots of good work was done by the previous owner, and I'm working on maintaining all that while improving it further, so we were able to camp in ours early on.

You have set yourself quite a task for June. How much time do you have to work on the trailer in a normal week? Is it close to your home so that it's easy to get to for short tasks?

I wish you luck, and look forward to seeing pics of your progress! None of the work is rocket science, but some of it may make you practice your cursing skills.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Welcome! Wow, that's a pretty big plan! (Personally, since I love long showers, I'd put in a tankless water heater.) Looking forward to the pics of your rehab, you've come to the right place to get answers to any of your questions, people here are so great about helping out.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I'm very thankful to have an extremely talented hubby when it comes to things like this. The trailer is parked on our property, so we only have to travel out the back door. Well, June is our goal. School is out then and we have short summers here in the NW. Not to mention we have plans to go on a long trek, following the inlaws in their fancy fancy coach, maybe up to Canada? I discovered last month while building a walk in pantry in our house, that we work well with deadlines and schedules. I'm hoping to get the whole project down on paper once we can get back into it. We are experiencing a nasty little snow storm right now. I have a few interior pics posted right now. Will definately take more for everyone to follow. Thanks for the warm welcome!
terrytrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

At least the axles look good..... Where's Andy?

Nice looking Argy....hope the resto goze well.

Keep posting.

Bob
Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, checking out your posted pictures, I can see why you want to repaint the interior walls... the previous owner really liked BLUE eh? Our interior skins are the original not-quite-white that manages to be bright (when clean) without being cold.

It's amazing what changes from year to year... our '75 has hinged doors for the upper lockers except the end cap, while you have the tambours like a silver trailer.

As to the June deadline... well, do the structural and systems stuff ASAP (insulation, plumbing, checking the subfloor, etc.) and then at the very worst you can do what lots of people have done and use it on the first trip as a "tin tent" with a less-than-complete interior but functioning plumbing, fridge, etc.

It looks like there's a padlock hasp on the door. Is this because the lock is broken? Or is the whole latch non-functional? There's a nice modification done by many people (including the previous owner of my Argosy) that adapts a residential deadbolt to secure the door of Airstreams and Argosies from the '70s. The mechanism goes into the trailer wall, and the bolt throws into the door. You can shave down the bolt so that the hole in the edge of the door can be smaller.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Welcome, your new trailer actually looks reasonably well cared for, so that's a good starting place. I really like the Argosys, love that huge panoramic window!

All new cabinetry? I have no idea why you'd want to replace that (glass?) tiled counter and front faceframe in the galley!

I'd say your project timeline is ambitious even if your full-time job were renovating this trailer, but it's not impossible. I'm hoping for your sake you don't run into any rot in the subfloor, but I'd be willing to bet you're going to find some, and potentially some frame rot as well.

But all of these problems have been faced by other members of this community, so you've found the right place for information and support. Good luck with your reno, and please keep us all updated on your progress-- we especially love pictures!

Good luck,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote