Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #1

2006 30' Classic
Sorrento , Florida
Hi second silver

Hi Folks,
My wife and I just purchased our second Airstream camper. We moved from the 25 ft. Safari to a 30 ft Classic. Just retiring, we're ready to travel!
I need some advice. What do you seasoned campers do for electricity at road stops for air conditioning? Your advice is greatly appreciate.

Best regards,
Carl
Mason01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason01
Hi Folks,
What do you seasoned campers do for electricity at road stops for air conditioning?
Best regards,
Carl
Not sure I understand your question, Carl, so I'll just give you the obvious answer. You stay at RV parks that have 30 amp 120 volt hook ups. Or, you carry a generator. There are some very good threads on this forum that describe the best generators for your needs.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Hey there Carl. Congrats on the Classic! We love ours.
If by 'Road Stops' you mean Interstate highway rest stops, we don't ever use them for security reasons. It sounds like you like spots that may not have electricity such as national forests etc. or even a church parking lot, Cracker Barrel restaurant, Walmart parking lot etc. (after asking permission of course). We tow with a pickup truck and can fire up our generator in the back of the truck for an overnighter in a place like that. Watch the prevailing winds so as to have the genset downwind for obvious reasons of sound and exhaust fumes. There are many great spots to camp with minimal charges such as state and national parks. Florida has some of the best state parks that we've camped in so far. I've even seen mention of county parks on this forum and there are threads you might look for in that regard.
Happy trails.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. Carl, come North. I have two air conditioners in my motor home and have never had both running at the same time. Once in awhile we will turn on the front one to cool off the interior while we drive. Occasionally I do run the back AC just to exercise it. We always choose a shady camp site and just run a fan. Night time we open the windows and listen the the outdoors. In the wintertime it is even easier to keep cool.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #5

2006 30' Classic
Sorrento , Florida
Thanks folks!
For those that use a portable generator, what brand and type do you like?

thanks a bunch,
Carl
Mason01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Big ones...

Carl-

As a new member, I get to advise you of the duties and privileges of the "Search" tab on right side of blue bar above.. That is one of many benefits of joining here...

If you type in "generator" and Air conditioner and honda or yamaha or some other brands, you'll be linked to dozens of existing threads or messages from people expressing their feelings and knowledge of generators...

I'll try to give you condensed summary...

1. Only Honda or Yamaha type inverter models are quiet enough for most parks
2. You'll need at least 3000 watts of power, maybe more. That means either a pair of Honda Eu2000's in parallel, or a big Eu3000 or more.
3. The big ones are too heavy to easily load into tow vehicle and back, unless you can run in pickup bed or have clever ramps and wheels...
4. It is possible to convert generator from gasoline to propane, and hard mount on the trailer tongue, but it requires talent and skill and effort.
5. The contractor models like Coleman you'd buy at Home Depot or Lowes are cheaper, but really noisy and vibrate.
6. The yellow "Chinese copy" (literally) of Honda generators are cheaper, and may be reliable, but not a lot of data yet.
7. Using old bad gas in a generator will cause problems.
8. Running A/C on fewer watts than required can and will damage compressor even though it might seem to work for a short time. Long term cost is substantial...

That about sums it up...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote