Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Old Greenwich , Connecticut
Hi, new to the forum and trailers

Hello all!
My name is David, from Old Greenwich, CT & the proud owner of a 1959 Avion R23 Rover.
I've been reading quite a few threads & gathering as much of the vast knowledge that all of you have been kind enough to share.
My Avion is in need of a bit of work. It's mostly original exterior is in excellent shape but the interior is a mess. The bathroom was removed to repair the floor but never reinstalled & there is a soft spot at the main door & just to the right of it as you enter.
I'm a builder & after reading several threads on how repairs should be done, I'll have the floor fixed in no time.
We are boaters & summers are spent on Long Island Sound & the new England area on out 50 Hatteras so we really aren't planning on doing too much with the Avion. In fact, we have three acres & we want to use this more of a "home camping" destination & set up a nice little camp site where the kids (daughter 10 and son 13) can have friends over for camping.
I know some may cringe at this but the plan right now is to remove the stove, leave out the bathroom and add several bunk beds. I'd also like to panel the walls & ceiling with a cherry veneer. I love wood & was disappointed to see that these Avion's didn't have much.
The reason I fell for these is recently I was at a party in a house in Greenwich, CT. It's more of a palace than a house with a full tennis court with 40' ceiling in the basement but the coolest part was next to the vintage bowling alleys, they have a camp site complete with two full size travel trailers. Yes, indoors, in the basement. They craned them in place when the house was being built & there is no way to get them out other than in pieces.
Anyway, I've got the big! I have to run for now but I'll post some pictures tonight of mine but I think you will love to see the indoor camp site.

Thanks again for taking the time to post all of the incredible information and I look forward to sharing my renovation story!

best,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8697.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	235355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8699.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	235356  

Name:	IMG_8704.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	235357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8711.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	235358  

CTdave2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Welcome, from a fellow Avion owner.

Wow, an indoor campsite! Another one of those things most people would never even imagine! Can't wait to see the pictures!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome! Nice looking trailer. Looking forward to seeing pics of the indoor campground.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

I posted a thread in the Interior restorations & then a second one with the photos of the indoor campground. Well, I tried. I keep getting "upload failed". I've tried reducing the size & am now down to 5oo pixels but it still says download failed. Anyone know what the issue might be?
Thanks
David
Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTdave2000 View Post
I posted a thread in the Interior restorations & then a second one with the photos of the indoor campground. Well, I tried. I keep getting "upload failed". I've tried reducing the size & am now down to 5oo pixels but it still says download failed. Anyone know what the issue might be?
Thanks
David
Isn't there a minimum post count that has to be there before you can do certain things on the forum?
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome CTdave2000. Your idea of renovating your old Avion into a "sleeper" is neat. Having an inside place for the night is the reason mankind invented campers; warm, dry and cozy. Your trailer, your rules. There are so many creative ways travel trailers have been repurposed for other uses, like food vendors or even as guest rooms in someone's mansion.

Maybe your "cabin" would have solar panel to charge the 12v batteries, and then invert to 115v AC so the kids can charge their internet devices? How many luxuries you plan to have? Heat, light, water, AC? Or maybe it's a plan to just have an "aluminum tent". Sounds like a very fun project.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hi David
Well, the area where this will be is only 50 or so feet away from an old pump house from when this was a farm back in the early 1900s & it was made into the pool equipment house in the '70s so power is close enough that I'll bury a line in conduit. I'm planning on a small a/c and heat unit, tv and plenty of outlets. I "might" put a little refrigerator and microwave.
This won't be a permanent lawn ornament, it will get out to an occasional car event & I'll tow it with my '59 El Camino (trailer is a '59 as well).

By the way, I'm still trying to upload the photos but still no go. I did it two days ago when I uploaded the pics of my trailer but now I can't anymore. I tried resizing too. These are in jpeg format. Perhaps I could email them to someone & they could try uploading to the thread?

best,
David
Old 04-03-2015, 05:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I wonder why you have not succeed in uploading a photo. I think i-phone photos are more challenging to upload. Here is my routine for uploading photos:

You gotta be in the "post reply" or "go advanced" screen to find the paper clip. This screen has all the silly emicons on the right side.

Click on the paper clip to attach a file. Have your cursor in the spot you want the photo to appear in your post.

The paperclip gets you the "manage attachments" screen. There are three categories, the top is "upload file from your computer". Click on "choose a file".

Now scroll to your computer's picture folder and to the picture you want to upload. There is no picture resizing or file name change necessary as I find Air Forums website will take my 3 meg photos and resize them to 200K automatically.

Select the picture file, and then select "open". This will return you to the "manage attachments" screen with the file you selected identified in the "choose a file" location. I think you can upload 4 photos at one time, each one selected as above.

Now click on the "upload" button and go have a coffee. It may take several minutes to upload, at least it does for me on my rather slow DSL connection. It is much faster on my hot spot.

When Air Forums gets done uploading the photo, the photo file name appears in the bottom section of the "manage attachments" screen. Don't close this "manage attachments" window until the file name is posted. That is your signal it is done.

Then you can "close this window" and finish your post. You must hit "submit reply" your post for the picture to appear. You can "edit" your post for about 30 minutes after you have saved it just in case you want to make changes.

Again I notice the apple pictures give people more difficulty and I don't know why. I am anything but a computer systems person. I can just get by.

Here is a picture of a 59 Overlander I was considering some time ago. It would look good on your farm. I notice your 59 Aviion is a 13 segment end cap trailer, where this 59 Overlander is a 7 segment trailer. Strange.

Hope this helps...

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1309 Door Side 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	235481  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote