Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1967 17' Caravel
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forum. Your Bambi looks great. Nice to see another vintage unit in BC. The two events Barry mentions are great events. Lots of fun and so many trailers to view. I highly recommend both if you can make it. Even though the TinCanTourist event is an all make vintage event there are lots of Airstreams to look at.

Gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Susan ~

The Aircraft Stripper was used on the interior to remove several layers of paint including the original Zolotone. This stuff is "big nasty in a can" and I cannot caution you enough of its ability to eat through almost anything. Funny, it doesn't harm aluminum at all.

As for the polishing, yes I did that myself and it several years ago and it needs a going over again to get it back to the shine it was in most of those photos. I hope to get to it if and when it ever will cool off enough here so the polish won't dry on contact.

Keep at it, you'll get to polishing soon enough and once you start, you have to finish.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
Chase , BC
Welcome, Rallies

Hi Barry
Thanks you! I can't wait to go to a rally, but just can't this year. Something to look forward to next summer!
SusanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
Chase , BC
Welcome, Stripper/Polishing

Hi Brad,

Yeah, now I recall that after gutting Bambi, stripping the paint off the panel retainers was much more of a job than it should have been. That's because under the paint was some Zolotone overspray, or more likely in the factory the retainers were installed before the Zolotone was completely dry. Anyway, I am fine with the polishing now, that is, resigned that it will take time, but will be worth it. Will look into a clearcoating afterwards.
Thank you,

SusanC is offline   Reply With Quote

bambi, parts, vintage