Old 03-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
how come no one saying casita, owns one?

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Buy a newer model used 19' or 20' Airstream...plenty of space for one traveler...go find an Airstream dealer and get a feel for the layout of each...then buy a TV that will comfortably handle the load...don't buy a TV that is marginally capable of towing the trailer...we purchased a lightly used 3 year old unit and have had very few issues to resolve...
good luck with your decision and happy trails

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wayzata , Minnesota
Wow, so helpful and so much to look into! In random order, I want to respond to a few comments. I forgot to mention that since I'm going to fulltime, I want a dedicated shower. That seems to be a huge hurdle with anything under 20 to 22 feet. How do you who don't have a separate shower manage? Straddle the toilet? Next, I may not be lucky enough to drop dead while contemplating a sunset. I want the best resale value in case I wear out an essential organ and need to buy a tiny house near family or medical. Next -- OLIVER! I've been lusting for one since October. There are few used ones, though, and isn't the rule of thumb that 50% of a new whatever is lost immediately? Plus other excellent reasons to buy used. Next -- the consensus, including RVSue, seems to be that it really is a big deal to have to pack up to make a run into town, etc. I hear that loud and clear, now. The pace I intend to follow is slow, contemplative, peaceful but with an occasional party. So breaking camp to dash off somewhere isn't attractive.

I'm grateful and relieved to have your input! More is always welcome. Your experience is my teacher. Thank you.
Wendy

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." (E.B. White)
WendyW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
If a wet bath is a deal breaker then Oliver, Escape and Casita are out. The toilets are out of the way and the shower curtains prevent water getting onto the toilet seat. I prefer a dry bath. That leaves Bigfoot for a fiberglass trailer and the AS floor plans except the Bambi 16.

Kelvin
Old 03-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW. View Post
Last September I realized the rest of my life was calling, and it would not be stationary. The decision to buy an RV was easy when seeing the wild parts of the country became far more important than clinging to my stuff, which had become an anchor, and having a home base. I can't afford to pay rent AND travel, so full timing it will be. My lease is up in August so I still have several months to find my chariot.

At first I wanted a used (always used) travel trailer, 16-20' feet, but my 4-cyl. Kia Sportage is a wimp. The more I thought about having an unfamiliar TV towing an unfamiliar TT, I began considering Argosys or anything else under 26 feet. I thought a Moho would be easier and cheaper than a two-vehicle combo. Now I don't know what to do. Cash is limited, but I'm trying for an Airstream to be safe.

I'm retired, single, fearless and excited beyond belief. I would love help sorting out which mode of travel would be better, and I would particularly like to hear from solo women who can relate.
Wendy, I've been fulltiming for 8 or 9 years. And it's not really too difficult for a single woman - many times it is easier since there's always some big stong man wanting to do half of the hard stuff for you. Of course you've got to be able to do it all just in case one isn't around.

You are right about the Kia - it's not going to tow anything but a teardrop. I'm going to advocate an RRC: "ruthless reality check" first. Fulltiming can be fulfilling or a disaster - most of that will be defined by facing the realities squarely. When I started I asked myself if I could afford to spend $50,000 for a vehicle and trailer - and lose most of it IF I decided six month's later that I'd made a huge mistake. The answer for me was "YES" - That kind of money isn't chump change to me, but I could lose it all and not have to live in a garage and eat cat food and die too soon.

You say "money is tight" ... which right off the bat probably means that an Airstream or Argosy is unlikely to be a great idea. Why? New ones are very expensive, used ones can be fixed up, but that can be a process which is neither simple nor inexpensive.... And a first time buyer is likely to make a mistake or outright be swindled. You need to read several threads right here about "the full monte" so you get a real appreciation about the costs and timelines to do a big repair/renovation on a vintage trailer (Argosy or Airstream). You're not going to find a great one for $10K that's ready to roll, unless it comes down to you through your family - and you've got a very nice family. Doing the repair work yourself - a lot of women DO, and there is nothing you can't learn, but if you don't already have the tools and the skills there's a real cost of LEARNING those skills - not excluding the doing it two or three times to get it half way right.

A lot of SOB's (some other brands/square old boxes) are pure crap too and even 5 years old are rolling wrecks. There are only a few RV's that are four season homes - and my Eddie Bauer Airstream (2012) is marginal in a Virginia coastal winter. Of course you could be a "snowbird" and head for Arizona, New Mexico or Texas during the winter.

So... what would I do in your circumstances? Google "Scamp RV Factory" - it's in Minnesota. (Casita is another "egg" trailer - probably more popular - but they're located in Texas and in Minnesnowda you can go take tour of the factory!) The most important thing about Casitas and Scamps is that they depreciate about $500 per year - almost nothing. And when one goes up for sale it does not hang around long. I saw a very old raggedy one go in 36 hours recently. The Oliver is a much better trailer - for over double the price... do you have an Motel 8 budget or a Hilton budget?

Why buy new? Why spend $1000 less for a 2-3 year old one - and why not get the layout you want. And why hunt for months and months and months to try to find a used one? New is simple with a Casita or a Scamp. There's a green one made in Canada too, but the name escapes me.

OK - I've read some of the comments that have been posted. You want a dedicated shower? You've got enough hot water for a 5 minute shower max - In a tiny trailer 4 to 6 square feet of space doesn't get wasted on a room you use for 5 minutes daily. The idea may seem icky - because you simply haven't seen a wet bath yet. It's not a big deal, and they're super easy to keep sparkling clean. Squeegee and a fake Chamois pushed around the floor with your foot - voila. Even males with "targeting deficiencies" who hit the outside as often as the inside? OH thank goodness for a shower sprayer and a floor drain! Your hands need never come within 3 feet of the offending mess!

You can pull an "egg trailer" with a used half ton truck of your choice, or a mini-van, which you could get used, and which gives you some additional storage for you off season clothing and some tools.

Google "Scrambled Egg RVs" - they may actually beat Airstreamers as a cult or niche, or whatever. (Airstreamers can echo Bender and say "Kiss my shiney metal hiney" but really?) My sister wants to get a Casita and cover it in aluminum foil so she can sneak into a few Airstream rallies. Forum ralliers would find it funny, WBCCI... well many of them would immediately require a "stick-ectomy".

Paula
Old 03-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Our 20' AS has a dedicated shower...and a shower door/curtain...the shower door is a bi-fold (very heavy plastic) door...I believe the 19' also has a dedicated shower...the difference in the 19' and 20' baths is with the 19' model the bath sink is outside the bath...the 16'/17' AS do have "wet baths"...the 22' A/S Sport is 6" narrower than the 19' or 20' but the bath extends across the entire rear section. For us the full bath and extra kitchen space (rear kitchen) was what sealed the deal.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Consider that full time means year round living in a trailer, summer, winter, spring and fall weather.

Airstream : Spring and Fall Great.
Summer : in the shade Good , full sun Not so good HOT big a/c unit to keep
warm.
Winter : COLD lots of propane to keep warm.

Bigfoot : year round Great

Casita : spring, summer and fall Great, winter not so good

Escape : year round : Great

Oliver : year round : Good

Also consider the Big Foot, Casita and Escape hold their near full value for years.

We've had 3 Casitas , 1999 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe bought new. Sold for $1000 less then we paid for it the same day we took deliver of our new 2004 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe . Sold in 2012 for $1000 less then we paid for it a week after we bought a 1969 25' Airstream Tradewind .

That was a big mistake ! I should have kept the Casita until this Tradewind is done.
We paid $5500 for it and by the time I'm done with it we'll have $30,000 in it.

Oh and in 2008 we bought a 2001 13' Casita Patriot Deluxe which I had to replace the axle and have the exterior buffed out at a boat shop . The poor thing had been stored outside in the Nevada desert and taken to La Paz a few times. We still have it and use it for short trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2515.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	233732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4276.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	233733  

Name:	IMG_3579i.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	233734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3628_2.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	233735  

Name:	IMG_0475_2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	233736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tundra : Airstream Test Drive.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	233737  

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Ask Yourself: why are all these people recommending SOBs on Air Forums? Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
A friend of ours wanted to sell her condo and go full timing in a RV.

We and a few other friends talked her out of selling her condo and instead rent it out thus keeping her equity and getting some income. So she did that but kept the thought of an RV.

We suggested she get a Casita or a Bigfoot but she didn't want to tow anything so she got a LazyDaze 26' class C motor home.

Her thought was to drive around the country and spend the winter at her sons house in her RV in Michigan , Silly California girl !

Well she made her way to MI in the fall and with the first cold wave she forgot about MI and headed south for the winter.

As time went on she found herself work camping and not traveling very much.

Another problem for her was once she was in camp she only had her racing bike to get around on. So getting supplies required begging a ride

Well as luck would have it for her we had just built a new vacation house about a mile from her condo and suggested that we store/use her furniture instead of her having to pay for storage. She went for it.

About the 3rd year of her being on the road she was getting tired of it. So we suggested that she stay in our vacation house until we decide to sell it. She sold her LazyDaze and stayed 3 years for free and in the meantime here condo was generating income.

When we listed our vacation house she gave her tenant notice, and they moved out leaving her time to remodel and move in.

She did take a big loss when she sold the Motor Home.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
After having just finished up three months of camp hosting, I can say I saw quite a few Casitas and they appeared quite nice. I'm not familiar with the other smaller trailers but I will recommend you try to get a small trailer rather than an RV. One of the best ways to get by is to find jobs at campgrounds - it paid our rent. But being able to detach is a lot better when you have to go grocery shopping or take time to explore. I would see people have to detach their umbilical cords each time they would venture outside of their spot. So I would pay up front and go for the flexibility.
Seems to me, all of them are "RV's. Some people have the mistaken thought that only motorhomes are RV's. Class A, B, B+, and C, are motorhomes.

Then we have 5th wheels, and trailer trailers.

Different strokes for everybody. We've owned Airstreams for years, and a couple of SOB's also, but we always came back to Airstream..
For whatever it's worth.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wayzata , Minnesota
Greetings, friends,

Every post on this thread had a helpful impact on my decision-making process, and I cannot thank you enough. After much more research into molded fiberglass trailers, I finally did decide to order a new 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe. I will pick it up in Rice, Texas, on July 13 (could have been sooner, but I opted not to store it for an extra month before I leave Minnesota). After ordering almost all the options, the total came to under $20,000, an outstanding price, IMHO!

I gave a lot of thought to the Scamps, but availability, price and layout led me to Casita. In the end, I chose to order something new, since in order to buy used, I would have to act very quickly and drive a long way to get an unknown quantity for close to the same price as new. So in mid-July I'll be on my shakedown cruise from Rice to Wayzata!

Now I'm going through the same process to buy a tow vehicle. At this moment I believe I'll get a used pickup with crew cab, tonneau, tow package, 8 cylinders and reasonably low miles. This time I really can't buy new. If you have one you want to sell, please PM me.

Every one of you who participated in this thread was instrumental in shaping the rest of my life, and I am extremely grateful. If it's OK, I'll continue to lurk on your forum, but this will be the last of my participation as an Airstream seeker. But the connection to you will remain in my heart.

Wendy of Wayzata for 4.5 more months...

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." (E.B. White)
WendyW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #26
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Congratulations, Wendy!

My parents owned several travel trailers over the years, progressing from a 19' Nomad through 27' Airstream, then 34' Avion...... then, as they aged, they went back down to a 23' Coachmen, then finally to a Casita. They LOVED that Casita, and I got to see it up close and personal. I really liked the features, and for not-overly-large people, thye work nicely.

Good luck on your truck quest.

Keep up posted.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Congratulations, Wendy! You did the research and found the rig that seems best suited to your needs now. In a year or two you will have more experience under your belt and you may see that you need to make a change. Do so. Many full-timers go through several coaches before getting it exactly right. That's why there are so many recommendations to buy used first.

Now that you have your trailer (or at least it is on order) you should be able to have some reasonably accurate numbers to work with. Unless the factory is doing something really special for you, the gross weight should be easy enough to find. You will need that number plus the weight of the loaded truck to determine whether your truck is capable of towing your trailer. With such a light trailer, that shouldn't be too hard. Tongue weight should be about 10-15% of gross, so just use the 15% for now. That's the weight the rear axle has to carry in addition to whatever you have in the bed of the truck. Again, shouldn't be much of an issue. Don't skimp on the tow vehicle, but don't go overboard, either. I would think that most half-ton pickups (F150-class) should be able to handle your trailer, but check the numbers anyway. Don't believe the salesman. Go to a dealer for the brand of truck you are considering and have them pull up the VIN to find out what towing capabilities it actually has.

Don't forget a weight distributing hitch with anti-sway capability. Have the dealer show you how to hitch up properly. You want to be towing with the truck level and the trailer level. That may mean a drop hitch, which is fine.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Congrats Wendy

The 17' Casitas have a gross weight of 3500 # With a tongue weight of about 450#. Both of our's loaded for travel came in at 3250 #.

As for a Tow Vehicle I recommend one with at least a 5000 # tow capacity . This opens up a lot more then just a pick up to you. But don't go too small. We used a '98 Tahoe 2 door 2 wheel drive with 7500 # tow rating to pull our 3 Casitas and it worked out great for us .

Now that your leaving the AS forums Check out A Home for Casita Travel Trailer Owners and Casita Travel Trailer Forum where you can download a great owners manual the Gene put together , also check out The Fiberglass RV Community .

There is a great wealth of info and ideas on those forums . See ya there