Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1961 22' Safari
2003 25' Safari
newnan , Georgia
Smile Hi! I'm new :)

Hi Everyone

My name is Teena and my husband and I, Phillip purchased our first Airstream last Sunday 7-10-10, 31' Sovereign (bath center) twin and yesterday 7-15-10, we purchased a 1961 Safari 22' double! Not sure what got a hold of us! We had no intentions of having 2 but now we do and we are excited! I previously had no interest in remodeling of any kind. I have become consumed with looking at Airstream blogs, links, forums etc! Anyway, we don't have a workshop so the first thing I am focusing on is water proofing the girls. I have called Inland RV to inquire about ordering the seals I will need to replace the window and the door gaskets. Now I am not sure if I need to do weatherstripping around fans and anything in the ceiling. The 73 has an AC unit that is working OK that I plan to replace and the fans seem to be in decent shape. I want to replace them with the ones that have rain sensors but hubby says to wait. Now the 61 is a different story, someone has geri rigged and ac unit to the roof and did a very bad job. There is plywood around the base on top of the roof and they went halfway through the vent and cut part of the roof, real messy looking. The 61 will definitely need rewiring and I have looked for a diagram, found several diagrams but not a 61 safari (joined VAC and downloaded a 1958 owners manual type thing (not sure what unit is for though) and also copied a diagram of a 64 overlander wiring I found on here. I am open to any suggestions on where to start!
We plan on using the units to visit as many of the 58 National Parks as possible!
Anyway, hello and I will be lurking around!

Teena

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Hi Teena, Welcome to the forums. You can learn a lot(everything) about Airstreams here.I wouldn't concern myself about the wiring thing yet, get waterproof first. It's a big job with one Airstream, and you have two already! I've had to restrain myself several times to keep them from following me home. It's not easy sometimes.
The wiring is probably mostly intact unless someone stripped out the interior. If it's there you will be replacing it wire for wire, for the most part. Anything you might like to add can be run once you have a plan in hand.
Back to the newer one: after waterproofing you need to inspect the floor if you haven't already. You will probably find some soft areas. Some of these can be left for a while if they are not in too critical a place, while others may require some plywood replacement. You can learn how to do this type of thing here if you need to. Hopefully you won't have any big things to do on it. It's camping season after all.

Best to you on your case of Aluminitus!

Rich the Viking

Old 07-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Welcome! As they say"Double your pleasure double your fun"Stay in touch.Viking was my Guru when I started last Dec.It's not rocket science,but things need to be done correctly and everyone on the forum has done each job at least once,so pour through the threads,you'll learn alot!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for all of the information that you will need.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Teena,

Sounds like you caught the Airstream bug bad!. Congratulations on your newly acquired rigs and best of luck as you work through the repair and discovery process. As others have stated this forum is filled with informative threads and knowledgeable members that can often provide just the information you're looking for.

Keep us posted on your progress,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Hello from Jonesboro Georgia

Welcome to the Forum. Be sure to check out the Falluminum and Springstream Rally information. The North Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds in Hiawasee, Georgia is where they are held. The Falluminum is in October and a great place to meet other local members.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Welcome Teena

Sounds like you have jumped in with both feet first and have a handle on what need to be fixed first.

Also check www.Vintagetrailersupply.com for things like window seals and seam sealing products for water leaks.

I cannot offer advice on air conditioners as our 62' does not have one.

But I can assure you once the rehab work is done hitting the road and visiting National and state Parks will be even more fun with your Airstream(s).
Good luck!

Gary
Old 07-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse222 View Post
Hi Everyone

My name is Teena and my husband and I, Phillip purchased our first Airstream last Sunday 7-10-10, 31' Sovereign (bath center) twin and yesterday 7-15-10, we purchased a 1961 Safari 22' double! Not sure what got a hold of us! We had no intentions of having 2 but now we do and we are excited!
I am open to any suggestions on where to start!
We plan on using the units to visit as many of the 58 National Parks as possible!
Anyway, hello and I will be lurking around!
Teena
Welcome to the Airstream family, Neighbor, I am just across the border in tenn. Boy Alumnitus bug must have bit you multiple times. You can find most of the information on here you need, many have done their own restore/upgrades, some on here refurb AS for a second business, others work at or did work at AS dealers and are very knowledgeable as well.
I do have a suggestion though, if those have leaks and you do not have the space to put them inside, you might consider one of those portable garage covers. They come as long as 30 foot, some even can be made longer, you can get side panels and such, this will keep the weather off while you are working and can be easily taken down later and stored so you have it for future use. You can find them at Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, or any farm place.
Hope to see you in the future, DutchStream takes place Oct 1-3 in Pigeon Forge and is something you might want to look into.

Sarge