Old 11-30-2005, 06:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You may be able to get an Argosy cheaper, although I still don't know why that is. I actually got my Argosy from El Paso, Texas, last year. It's a 1978 24 ft that has given my husband and me a great deal of fun. We work on it a lot which is a good part of the fun. We camp when we can get away and we retore when we can't. It is truely a passion and an addiction for us. We're passing up the 12 step program. This is to much fun.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #16
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Also check the Airstream and Airstream Vintage sites. I sold one on the vintage site several years ago. The neighbors thought I was collecting them when they saw two in my driveway. I seriously considered it too! Sometimes it is hard to let go!

Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
This was a rule of thumb for us. We set a price range and stuck to it. After looking at the new ones and they cost almost as much as our house we knew we could not afford. So after looking at this sight we decided to go with a 70's model. Like others we did not want payments so you learn real quick how to get rid of things to get your dream stream.
Yes they do cost to get them road ready and keep them road ready, but it sure is worth it to know you have a piece of history. Not to mention all the fun.
They are out there and it may take you months to find we searched local trade paper's, ebay, and word of mouth. Be prepared to travel and also there are folks here that will go out and look if it is a distance from you.
We found our Peppy here under the classifieds sure we drove 900 miles to get him.
Also you learn beans and leftovers can go a long way in order to get that new water pump.

Becky
Old 11-30-2005, 07:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Finding a "cheap" Airstream

This is a difficult task and requires alot of education so you do not get stung. This forum and getting a good knowledgeable group of friends to help you is very important. People who have Airstreams that are trying to sell them come in all kinds. Estate sales are sometimes a great bargin. (Grandpa never used it very much but refused to sell it and it has been setting for 10 -15 years and we don't want it. Take it away for a song.) They also can have big problems that the seals were not maintained and the floor and frame are rotten. Ebay is a source but you have to do alot of traveling or depend on local inspectors to see how good the unit is before you bid. I bought one from the WBCCI magazine and one I found setting in a backyard along the road. The Forum classified and other club sites on the web are also good starting points. Do not buy junk in hopes of fixing it up. The cost of repairs will quickly exceed the purchase price. Expect to look at ten units to find one good one.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:45 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Gee! This really IS a COMMUNITY, huh? There's so much comfort in knowing so many of you out there have faced the same dilemma: caviar taste v. peanut butter budget. I can identify with the "junk-streams" that are out there...so sad, yet aggravating. I also have felt the itch to pull the trigger of my purchase gun and buy impulsively. I read every classified I can get my grubby hands on...daily...and I have to tear myself away from THIS FORUM more than once a day to get my every-day work done. My dear wife calls it "an obsession." Any amens out there?
I will listen to every word of wisdom you've offered and take my time, saving my pennies and dimes along the way until I have enough money to buy that one with "my name on it." In the meantime, it's still "sweet dreams of airstreams" for me.....Thanks again, to all!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I bought mine for $3995 and it was more or less road ready, except for the leaky plumbing and rotted water heater. Oh, I forgot about the bad fresh water pump and freeze damaged water filter. Wife refused to go camping until I replaced the ugly mustard yellow countertop. I had to replace the battery, then have new OPD valves installed on the propane tanks. Then I did the axles, replaced the tires, some upholstery work, new drapes. I have replace one light/vent with a Fantastic Fan, and Thin Light fixture. Replaced bathroom sink faucets, and shower head/hose. Vent gaskets. Lots of other little things, like missing screws in the furnace vent, that caused high CO levels in the coach. A new toilet was installed last month.

Most of the plumbing problems were discovered after I brought it home. Would I do it again, knowing what I know now about my Airstream? You bet!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
So, that's "more or less road ready?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I bought mine for $3995 and it was more or less road ready, except for the leaky plumbing and rotted water heater. Oh, I forgot about the bad fresh water pump and freeze damaged water filter. Wife refused to go camping until I replaced the ugly mustard yellow countertop. I had to replace the battery, then have new OPD valves installed on the propane tanks. Then I did the axles, replaced the tires, some upholstery work, new drapes. I have replace one light/vent with a Fantastic Fan, and Thin Light fixture. Replaced bathroom sink faucets, and shower head/hose. Vent gaskets. Lots of other little things, like missing screws in the furnace vent, that caused high CO levels in the coach. A new toilet was installed last month.

Most of the plumbing problems were discovered after I brought it home. Would I do it again, knowing what I know now about my Airstream? You bet!
Okay, let's see now. You buy an AS "more or less road ready" for $3995. Then, before your wife will go camping with you, and before it's really road ready, you sink another $3500 or more. Now you're into it for about $7500. Still not a huge amount to invest, but way out of my league. I think I'll shop around for an estate sale where the family wants to get rid of Grandpa's vintage airstream for a song and a dance (not that I can do either of those very well).
Old 11-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The PO's (previous owners) told me they never used the water, as they took showers at the campground and used campground "facilities". They never used the furnace either, as they camped in warm weather only. Most of their camping was in two campgrounds less than 20 miles from their home. So, for them I guess it was "road ready". But NOT for me or my wife.

Since I bought it, I have camped in 5 states, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Florida. I lived in mine for 4 months here in Florida, while the wife stayed in Ohio to sell our house up there.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote