Old 01-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
Silverdale , Washington
Hi...I'm a wannabe Airstream person...

and looking for a used Airstream Motorhome...
I need enough room for two large dogs and a bike and trailer pulled by the bike... and storage.
I want an Airstream because we owned one years ago - a travel trailer. It was bought used, turned out to be trouble free and when we sold it two or three years later, it had held its value.... even although it was lived in full time...all we needed to do was buy new tires.
I'm not challenged and happy to figure out how to fix frequently troubled and needing repair mechanical things. I believe Airstreams are about as trouble free as is possible to get in a motor home if properly maintained.
I am here to learn... Annie

Annecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome and Prepare for Info Overload!

On behalf of a few thousand other members sure to chime in, welcome! And, Good luck with your search... As some famous movie character once said: "They're out there..." There are 2 immediate places to search: the classifieds here on this site, and You'll find more, but that's a start, and try looking for Argosy motorhomes also...

You could also read threads on motorhomes from forum index, or send messages to members asking about various models, engines, problems and satisfaction levels... You can also search (using search field in blue bar above..) for terms of interest...

Finally, patience is a good thing, because the market is thin (not a lot for sale at once..) and good ones tend to move quickly, so do homework and research and planning, and be prepared to move fast. There are members here who are willing to look at units far from you but close to them, and give you a subjective opinion of condition, so long as they're not the seller.. Also, be very cautious about E-Bay, as many of the items listed there have issues, or the process is not above suspicion...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

I'm a trailer type myself, but if I wanted a moho, I'd go for the older classic ones. On my last trip to Jackson Center I parked next to a couple who had a moho that was less than 18 months old. It had been back to the shop 7 times. Among other mechanical issues, the driver's side windshield had cracked 5 or 6 times. There was a huge television (not flat screen) mounted just above that windshield. Seems the side beams might not have been strong enough to support the weight without vibration? They also had leaks, electrical problems, engine problems. They stayed on site for several days and left in a U-haul. Airstream acknowledged the problems and agreed to fix everything under warranty, but the owners (who had involuntarily gone full time after a hurricane destroyed their home in Florida) decided they would sell the moho.

Hopefully that was one isolated lemon, but man... it shook my confidence in Airstream. I'm having a minor leak problem with my CCD right now, and I'm planning to let Safford RV work on it rather than go to the great frozen North in January/February.

Sigh. Sorry - I don't want to be a downer but look how many moho owners on this forum have newer units. Any? Airstream knows how to make TRAILERS. I just can't figure out how a new moho isn't a Thor Fleetwood.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Airstream thought the world would love them even more if they looked like the rest of the market SOB's (square old boxes) so took up the fiberglass and ran. The SOB AS's all had issues with roof leaks and quality it seems.
The classic style is not only beautiful but functional. Keep your eye out for a Turbo Diesel. Those units get great fuel economy.
Remember that towing capacity is limited with the classic P-30 chassis too. And if you get into the longer units with a tag axle you will need to circle the block to turn around.
Keep in mind that you've got to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince of a used AS. Be prepared to walk away if you don't feel comfortable. Half the fun is the search.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote