Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
Hi from Wiarton ON, looking at our first AS on Saturday-'66 Safari+ (Pics)

Hi all,
I have been reading and lurking and absorbing info here for the past 2 days after a wonderful Samaritan got in contact through our ad for "Wanted an old AS", and told us about his 70's model rusty fame problems and this great forum. I am loving all the pictures and promise to take pics when I can! I will attempt to post pics of the two we are interested in. Just got interior pics of the '64-68' tonight

I will apologize now for the long first post...probably won't be the last...

On the weekend we have plans to see what is billed as a 1966 Safari 22 Project, it is just over 2 hours away. There is another trailer in 2.5 hours south we haven't arranged to see yet. I am thinking it's isn't the best already. It has varying dates on the listing of 1964 and 1968 23 foot, not sure if what model, isn't identical to the first one. Looks like wet floor from the pics we just got of the interior tonight.

So, some background. There's just me and hubby, early 40's, no kids, but a 100 acre hobby farm, and we are planning on severing the house and building in 2-3 years. That's how we go onto this craziness. If we are not moving, I want an escape where we'll eventually build 1/4 of the way back of the property with a gorgeous view so I can write there...enter a trailer we can also live in for 6 months of so while we build.

A few weeks ago, we got a 1981 31 foot Glendale Golden Falcon that is actually in pretty good shape, just updating the decor as it'll be parked. Priority is to paint the waterproofing all over on it we had one small window leak after a cracker of a thunderstorm, so we know there's stuff to improve.

Anyway not content with one trailer.....we had a look at a 1959 general coach Canned ham to restore a week ago. We were very tempted, loved the old birch woodwork, but too much body work for us, and punctures in the aluminum (we'd be more comfortable doing interior carpentry, wiring, plumbing work) also hubby couldn't stand upright in it (6'2").

We are looking for a smaller vintage trailer for ease of driving/towing, smaller and less expense to restore than a big old 'un. If and when we take it on the road (likely not for a couple of years) it'll be cross Canada stuff as I have poultry forum friends from coast to coast, the axle may have to wait til then. I've told hubby it's a certainty we need one on one of these older guys... Anyway, we live in cottage country and could escape 1-2 nights at the moment, but have been know to tent on our own private boondocks land. Not sure whether to custom or rstore to original, I think it depends on the trailer, it too much is missing we may custom but want a kitchen and bathroom eventually for if we go on the road.

So we are looking for a bit of getting our feet wet restoring, as we want to do cars once we have a nice shop built,. After reading the posts on '66 Safaris and the dreaded suburban stove, possible (probable) rear hatch/bumper leaks, window, door, fridge, skylight and plumbing vent leaks, slumping and bulging of the skin with inadequate frames, ideally having original unbroken windows, appliances and door hardware, corroded black water holder, I think I have more of an idea what to look for. Plan is waterproof it, gaskets etc and go from there,

If anyone has any other advice of feedback on these, we are all ears. We have downloaded the trailer checklist and I read that great article on pricing, and cost of replacement/upgrading of various systems.

OK so here's the Safari I have been drooling over the last 2 days. There were 3 exterior pics only....all of the same side, I just went to get pics and saw they added interior pics and there's a wood stove in there..that wasn't in the other pics....hmmm think $2000 may be a bit steep

"this is a project trailer...much of the furniture has been removed. There is a closet and one pull out couch/ double bed. The aluminum inside and out and the glass is in good condition.
most systems are missing, has electrical wiring, holding tank and hot water tank(not sure if it works). Bathroom is intact but tired.
We have the original owners manual and the ownership (it is currently licenced)."

The other 1968 or 64? 23 feet long

"
1964 Small airstream Tows well. Watertight, full kitchen and bathroom but beds/couches have been removed." $2500

Just got these tonight

Would love feedback. We can wait if they are not great, but I'd like to see the one as we've said we'd go. Cheers. I am looking forward to spending more time on the forum. I am impressed with the community feel here
Claire
Shiny Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hi and welcome! It depends how far you are going to take your restoration. Are you handy? Make sure to check inside the door and access compartments for leaking. 40+ years of water intrusion can take its toll. My floor replacement cost about $600 in material alone. Those door frames are made of cast aluminum, if they crack it could cost a bit to fix. Also axles tires and rims are another big expense. I spent over $3000 on mine, but I have 2 axles and I am adding 12" disk brakes. You will probably need to remove a bit of the belly pan to get a good look at the frame. Look under and see if there is a loose piece or see if you can un rivet a section under a window. If there has been years of leaky windows you will see it under the floor. Also the later 60s trailers had big problems with their windows. So when talking $ with the PO make sure and tell him about how much it will cost to redo these vital systems. You may want to see if there is a forum member in our area who can go to see one of these trailers for you. Good luck!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Claire both trailers are definately "project" trailers and are not camp ready.
The smaller trailers do demand more money than the longer ones. Both are priced right for this area and for their sizes.
Both seem to have decent shells from what I can see but the second one has a problem with the entry door. I can see it hanging, either the hinge or the door frame is broken.
Oh yeah welcome to the forums by the way. I'm just down hwy #6 from you in Durham and may be able to help. I'll PM you some contact info.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
Thanks for the welcomes and advice Marzboy and WasagaChris (neighbour!), we are just East of Clavering off Hwy 6 so about an hour from you!

We are pretty handy and think we are capable of a decent resto, a whole frame one lifting the shell...no , but replacing a floor and working upwards...definitely possible. Taking lots of pics as we dismantle would be part of the whole process and I know the more original stuff in there the better, to help us learn what it should look like at the end.

Hobby farming, wiring, plumbing, building housing for chickens and refinishing furniture is a start for our experience, between us, we can do it. I can do the precise stuff and hubby has the guts to get things started and have the general plan in his head! We are still deciding what the big picture will be. After seeing the restoration threads, it is technically not beyond us, but a case of figuring out the timing.

Re: the belly pan, what is the easiest way of removing it or taking a peek without a full scale demo at the viewing appt! Do they have a "You break it you buy it" rule for trailer viewing?

I did think the door looked fine on the second trailer at first, I thought they must all have a big thick parallel "seal" like that, but I see what you mean when you compare to the first trailer door, no dark around the edge at all, it's streamlined and closed. I thought I saw a long shallow scrape along two panels at least on the second one and I bet they caught the hinge as well. Thanks for the offer of help and taking a look, don't think it's going to work schedule wise, we are the exact opposite to you! We may take you up on it another time though. We appreciate the thought!

I'll try and take pics of the first one on Sat. The first 3 pics we got a few days ago had no chimney sticking out and a nice looking exterior, so we thought she may be "the one" but the hopes are lower now. Depends what they actually did to it and how...

I saw a lovely AS driving down the road tonight on my way down to Arkona, near Parkhill. Thought I just missed my turn, and was not 100% on identifying every bit of oncoming traffic, so just saw her in the rearview, no idea of the model, but long and old I think.

One last quick question, why is silicone so terrible to put on an AS? Does it or the carrier corrode the shell? How bad is it, do you never touch a trailer with it or is it just a case of some costly or irritating remediation?
Sorry for all the Q's...
Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Dreams View Post
Thanks for the welcomes and advice Marzboy and WasagaChris (neighbour!), we are just East of Clavering off Hwy 6 so about an hour from you!

We are pretty handy and think we are capable of a decent resto, a whole frame one lifting the shell...no , but replacing a floor and working upwards...definitely possible. Taking lots of pics as we dismantle would be part of the whole process and I know the more original stuff in there the better, to help us learn what it should look like at the end.

Hobby farming, wiring, plumbing, building housing for chickens and refinishing furniture is a start for our experience, between us, we can do it. I can do the precise stuff and hubby has the guts to get things started and have the general plan in his head! We are still deciding what the big picture will be. After seeing the restoration threads, it is technically not beyond us, but a case of figuring out the timing.

Re: the belly pan, what is the easiest way of removing it or taking a peek without a full scale demo at the viewing appt! Do they have a "You break it you buy it" rule for trailer viewing?

I did think the door looked fine on the second trailer at first, I thought they must all have a big thick parallel "seal" like that, but I see what you mean when you compare to the first trailer door, no dark around the edge at all, it's streamlined and closed. I thought I saw a long shallow scrape along two panels at least on the second one and I bet they caught the hinge as well. Thanks for the offer of help and taking a look, don't think it's going to work schedule wise, we are the exact opposite to you! We may take you up on it another time though. We appreciate the thought!

I'll try and take pics of the first one on Sat. The first 3 pics we got a few days ago had no chimney sticking out and a nice looking exterior, so we thought she may be "the one" but the hopes are lower now. Depends what they actually did to it and how...

I saw a lovely AS driving down the road tonight on my way down to Arkona, near Parkhill. Thought I just missed my turn, and was not 100% on identifying every bit of oncoming traffic, so just saw her in the rearview, no idea of the model, but long and old I think.

One last quick question, why is silicone so terrible to put on an AS? Does it or the carrier corrode the shell? How bad is it, do you never touch a trailer with it or is it just a case of some costly or irritating remediation?
Sorry for all the Q's...
Dont be sorry for asking questions. In fact this stage is precisely when to ask, not after purchasing. If Chris is offering to help take it. I have read a lot of his posts he knows a lot about these trailers. The silicone thing is a bit unclear to me I just know to avoid it. I do know it is a biaaach to remove from windows.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
Thumbs up 22 Foot Twin Safari Land Yacht.....of our own

Well, we took a look and think the outside was in amazing shape, in our inexperienced opinions. It had hardly any dings or dents, we thought it would look older or more used than it did on the outside. It almost looks new especially from the back. There was a couple of small shallow surface scratches on the road side corner about 4 feet off the ground, and one small 2" ruck on the left side of the tongue (pic below). I can't wait to see her all polished up.

POs had it 11 years, bought it near London, from the 2nd owner and he had it out in a field. It's under trees now. I think still has top coat. Property is sold Sept 30th and they are going to live in the boat they've built.

All the windows, doors, covers are there and work, one window near the door (on right of out from outside) leaks if they open it so they leave it closed. It's been a weekend camper for 10 years and they seemed to know it intimately, nice folks. They showed us the area of punky wood by the door, floor was painted plywood and looked and sounded good overall. Didn't find any rot elsewhere, 'cept there was an area on the bathroom floor that looked more rippled too right near the shower, so am sure it will need to be redone. No signs of stains on ceiling or around windows.

Inside the compartments was great even the fridge vent one. Chimney goes out through the old fridge vent, they said the cover was fibreglass and cracked so they don't have it.

The roof vent things are seized, in the last year or two, not sure if taking apart and cleaning the workings might help with that. They were intact otherwise.

PO took out stove and kitchen as it was "not working" and full of mice! We think a smaller nice custom galley would work for us anyway, no stove just a cooktop, fridge, sink.

End wall of bathroom was nice looking wood, otherwise it was wide open in there with the original bench across from where the galley was.

Looked like surface rust on chassis, back part near bumper had like an aluminum wrap around the frame and one small area of the aluminum layer looked corroded, but the metal showing underneath was solid just surface rust from what we could see. We'd read about the trtailer doesn't bounce, the axle rubber is dried and solidified and it seemed to be bouncy enough. Still prepared to replace if we have too. No cracks in the tires which are older, all hold air even the spare, original chrome hubcaps on the tires too.

So no matter what it needs inside, we thought as these don't come up a real lot up here and the great shell condition, lovely size for us that it may be beginners luck and may not seen anything as nice for some time, we should go ahead. I think if something else "better" comes up we could get our money back if we don't mess with it too much, but after reading and researching this looks perfect for us, the style we like and a great size and beautiful too!

After we said we'd go ahead, they told us they'd had a ton of emails (about 15) and 4 people telling them call them as soon as you can if they (us) don't want it. They were happy to wait for us to come as we were the first reply. We trust them not to sell it out from under us, we weren't sure til we got there and met them. We and they, have had it happen before where you go with the money and they sold it to someone else who skipped the queue, so I feel reassured. They wrote up an official receipt for the deposit with vin number etc and and we feel pretty happy, and lucky. We have been browsing the original owners manual they gave us. If anyone needs a copy of it, I can copy and mail it if you like. Serial number is J-0226117

We are excited to begin the "can of worms" adventure
Here's a couple of pics I took, only ones today, will take more when on pickup on 24th Sept

I-phone pics sorry for the quality, along the side, the door does close to, it was not shut properly there and they had keys etc for all the doors/compartments

The wrinkle on the front other wise no dings really. It all is quite shiny, less so on the top.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Dreams View Post
Well, we took a look and think the outside was in amazing shape, in our inexperienced opinions. It had hardly any dings or dents, we thought it would look older or more used than it did on the outside. It almost looks new especially from the back. There was a couple of small shallow surface scratches on the road side corner about 4 feet off the ground, and one small 2" ruck on the left side of the tongue (pic below). I can't wait to see her all polished up.

POs had it 11 years, bought it near London, from the 2nd owner and he had it out in a field. It's under trees now. I think still has top coat. Property is sold Sept 30th and they are going to live in the boat they've built.

All the windows, doors, covers are there and work, one window near the door (on right of out from outside) leaks if they open it so they leave it closed. It's been a weekend camper for 10 years and they seemed to know it intimately, nice folks. They showed us the area of punky wood by the door, floor was painted plywood and looked and sounded good overall. Didn't find any rot elsewhere, 'cept there was an area on the bathroom floor that looked more rippled too right near the shower, so am sure it will need to be redone. No signs of stains on ceiling or around windows.

Inside the compartments was great even the fridge vent one. Chimney goes out through the old fridge vent, they said the cover was fibreglass and cracked so they don't have it.

The roof vent things are seized, in the last year or two, not sure if taking apart and cleaning the workings might help with that. They were intact otherwise.

PO took out stove and kitchen as it was "not working" and full of mice! We think a smaller nice custom galley would work for us anyway, no stove just a cooktop, fridge, sink.

End wall of bathroom was nice looking wood, otherwise it was wide open in there with the original bench across from where the galley was.

Looked like surface rust on chassis, back part near bumper had like an aluminum wrap around the frame and one small area of the aluminum layer looked corroded, but the metal showing underneath was solid just surface rust from what we could see. We'd read about the trtailer doesn't bounce, the axle rubber is dried and solidified and it seemed to be bouncy enough. Still prepared to replace if we have too. No cracks in the tires which are older, all hold air even the spare, original chrome hubcaps on the tires too.

So no matter what it needs inside, we thought as these don't come up a real lot up here and the great shell condition, lovely size for us that it may be beginners luck and may not seen anything as nice for some time, we should go ahead. I think if something else "better" comes up we could get our money back if we don't mess with it too much, but after reading and researching this looks perfect for us, the style we like and a great size and beautiful too!

We are excited to begin the "can of worms" adventure
Here's a couple of pics I took, only ones today, will take more when on pickup on 24th Sept
When you come for pickup, you are welcome to stop by my place and I'll show you our 67 Safari, that is all original with the same layout as yours. I can give you advise on how big of a" can of worms" you have opened
2 Hours south of you must be close to me on Road 130 south of Sebringville. lots to look at here as I have 7 in the yard right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home_park.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	507.9 KB
ID:	138269  
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
Hi Doug, Thanks for the offer, we would absolutely love to stop by but we are coming from Guelph straight up highway 6. We looked at the maps for a detour and are a bit hesitant to lengthen the trip seeing as the AS hasn't been moved in 11 years (we think). The PO is greasing the bearings and the tires look Ok, but the quickest way to yours would be right through K-W and we'd have no way to get off the road and out of he way if there was problem in the city. We'd love to make another trip though sometime! 7 ASs, what a treat to see in them all! I'd love an opinion on ours so we don't miss something big and pave over a mess underneath.

Hubby has been looking at baby naming websites to name our dear trailer.

Check out our new Blog Vintage '66 Safari Airstream Trailer
Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey Doug why don't you and Terry come camping here that weekend. You can have your usual spot.
Claire you and your DH are welcome to drop by on your way home and Doug and I can give the TINY SHINY a once over for you. I'll PM you my location if you want.
How's that for a name: Tiny cause it's a 22ft and Shiny in refernce to your screen name.
If Doug can't make it I'll still look it over and you can see my project in the works, a 1973 Excella 500 31ft.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi Shiny Dreams

I'd buy em both. Take cash and a hitch ball . . . get clear title. Get the trailers off the sellers property ASAP, even if ya gotta haul them to a third party's lot. If ya don't, they can sell to another buyer and hand you your deposit back when you come to pick up the trailer.

My policy is: Never go to look at something I might buy without the cash to buy it in my pocket. In addition to closing a quick deal, I've found that spreading a wad of cash on the truck hood a very good negotiating tactic.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
Thumbs up That sounds great!

Chris, that sounds awesome, I bet we'll be going right by anyway! I'll check with DH, I am over in Lindsay now to work this week. Pickup should be the 24th, hopefully, property is sold with close on 30th so has to be gone by then. They have a huge boat they have moved that has to go out first, and that is the variable. They are living in the AS til then or I would be tempted to whisk the Tiny Shiny away now! The ad said Sept and we aren't in a hurry. Like Tiny Shiny, as I do want to shine her up when we are all done! Will be great to see your project too, a bit longer than ours, nearly 10 feet!

DH was a little alarmed once I got him reading the forum, how many people had more than one AS. I don't think it will end with just one here He was also marveling how much info there was on wiring and black water tanks etc etc when I left. I tried to steer him to the general 1966-68 Safari model area for some light reading first. He was amazed helpful everyone was.

Splitrock, me and DH had a good chat about that, whether we could even trust someone with the deposit and whether the trailer would be there when we went back etc, and we agreed we'd see what they were like (and the trailer). We recently replied to a kijiji ad half an hour away, and said we'd buy an awesome 30 hp kubota with loader, 99 hours on it for $10k said we'd be there when DH got home from work, 3 hours later. The PO nicely pulled it out to the curb for us, and sold it to a guy who saw it, stopped and had a wad of $12k cash for him.

I would never jump a queue, but my best kijiji deals have been first reply within minutes of the listing, and tell them you'll be definitely be there in the time it takes to drive there fast and I always give them my cell for if there's a problem. I wish I'd gone and looked at that tractor on my own as soon as he replied, but wasn't confident enough. Usually we drop everything to get there asap. DH did leave work early that day to get there.

The POs of the Tiny Shiny are total hippy types and the trailer about 400-500 feet into a treed property, no one can see it, we actually drove back in their vehicle to see it. I mentioned not wanting to sound paranoid, and our recent tractor experience and they said they had driven 2 hours plus to get a boat from Collingwood, certified cheque in hand and had it sold out from under them, so knew what it felt like. So rest assured, it was ours.

They waited 5 days to let us see the trailer (we would have gone sooner but they didn't seem to be in a hurry and I was over in Exeter all week), and told us about a pushy guy that was insisting on seeing it on Friday, who they said would never get a chance now even if he was second in line. They said they were glad we bought it as they didn't have to deal with anyone else now. We got on pretty well and they are thinking of volunteer WWOOFing this winter and I had already done that so I think we are good. They emailed later yesterday to say it was pleasure meeting us and they were glad it was going to a good home

I am not sure I would have trusted too many others, but we wanted to look at the inside of one even though it was 2 hours away, and were surprised how good the outside looked, so bought it when we hadn't been certain we would when we set off in the morning.

The other one is somewhat tempting, but there's a camp-ready Avion about a hour from us that is all working and done ('cept the cupboards look like they need refinishing back to wood) that is way more tempting for a second one, but I don't think DH will go for it this year.

It would be a nicer warmer one to have parked for our "cottage" at the back of the property than the Golden Falcon, but we'd need to sell that first and we are still working on smartening it up.

eta, Doug, forgot to say how beautiful that spot looks! Awesome pic. How did you time it to be on the road with an AS? Or can a helicopter/plane go over any time and you have one attached?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
The picture was taken from a plane flying over and we were, just by chance, leaving at the exact time he took the picture. It was one of those take the picture and try to sell it later. We could not turn this one down.
We may be able to be at the park on the 24th but don't know for sure untill my wife gets her schedule for the end of Sept. Will let you know later.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
I can see why you couldn't turn the pic down Doug :-) I hope we get the chance to meet, it'll be sooner or later anyway I think!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
dr-quest

1973 23' Safari
1965 20' Globetrotter
Wiarton , Ontario
Howdy Nieghbours

Hi ya folks
Awsome to hear from Wasagachris that you got an airstream. I am the guy in wiarton who had the canned ham. I knew you were tempted. It was really cool but the body work would have been a job. Anyway the safari looks great for the body. I saw that one too but my wife put my trailer limit at 3 for now. I ended up with the globtrotter down the street because they just bought a house and needed it gone. The frame is worse then I told you at the time but it will be my long term project and storage for now. Keep in touch we may be able to help each other out as we are so close. Pop by if you like when you see me up there working on them. Would love to see the 66 when you get it home.
All the best Steve
dr-quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
Howdy neighbour too!

Hi Steve!
Funny, I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering if you got your AS yet. Looks like you got 2! You'll have to come over once we get ours home! Just quickly read your intro thread, shame you have a sale on the 24th. I am sure we can help each other out, even if its just moral support or one of us read something useful on here to share etc, or sharing extra materials etc.

We will pop in if we see you out on your hill there! We won't be coming into Wiarton this weekend....to busy with the Holiday weekend! So neither of those ASs are that one in the farmyard right? It looked longer, like a 27 or a 30 footer.

I am looking forward to seeing what you get done in person and online Steve!! We'll just be water-proofing this fall, main resto work next year (and beyond) I guess. We are going to custom the Safari as the Bathroom at the back is the only thing really left but the wooden walls, I am dying to polish it and could see myself doing that the day we get it. Would love to polish the inside too.... We have the winter to plan and decide and come up with a floor plan.

DH's limit is 2 trailers for now, one old, one newer. Guess we'll see! Great to see you on here dr-quest! Cheers!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #16
dr-quest

1973 23' Safari
1965 20' Globetrotter
Wiarton , Ontario
Hard to wait

Sounds great. A couple things I do know about polishing is, dont even try without the right polish & tools and after its polished dont touch up parts later or there will be a noticable difference. All or nothing. I am just itching to polish the door just to see how it looks, but I have to be patient. As for inside, I am pretty sure that could cripple me for life but it looks gorgeous. Wish I could join the fun on the 24th, sounds like these guys will be invaluable to us both. All the best on your home trip. I brought the safari home down dirt back roads on 4 of the worst tires you ever saw ,over bumps and dips. It pulled so good I almost forgot I had it on.
All the best Steve
dr-quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
I read that too about the polishing, all or nothing! I am sure you could do a door then redo later, the same time as the rest, when the resto is otherwise done!

How far did you bring the Safari home? There are some pretty bumpy back roads round here. Glad you got her home OK anyway!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #18
x

XXXX , XXXX
Claire lots of folks just polish one section at a time and keep camping, then polish some more. Eventually it will all be done. Like has been said here many times before to eat an elephant it takes many small bites.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
"Wrinkle" May Indicate Frame Failure

I had the same "wrinkle" on my '76 Safari 23'.
It was caused by failure where the A-frame tongue mounts to the frame.

Just keep an eye on it.

If the wrinkle worsens, or if an identical wrinkle develops over the opposite frame member, you will need to fix it.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
I saw that too. One other spot for the frame failure on mine was roadside at the front corner of the fresh water tank. My main frame rail C channel only had meat left on the top of the C the vertical section and the lower horizontal piece was rusted right through.

Tags
introduction, opinions, 1966 Safari