Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #1

1951 18' Clipper
vilonia , Arkansas
Hi from Vilonia, Arkansas

I have a 1951 clipper that was given to me by my mother. Does anybody know where I could get it restored in Arkansas? It is not very travel-worthy, so I can't go out of state with it. It has been sitting behind my mother's house for over twenty years. The floor is rotted and the windows are broke, and I don't even know about the electrical system. Please let me know where I can take it to get it restored. Thanks
aderrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome and "Use the Search.."

Welcome to the Forums, and congrats on your somewhat tired new camper...

If you click on Search in blue bar at top of screen, you can enter words like restoration or rebuild or repair shops and find some earlier messages on this subject... There are shops around, though I dont know of any in AR... You might also check www.vintageairstream.com for info on restorations , as they also have ideas for towing or transporting trailers for repair work... Many use flat-beds to transport trailers beyond where they can easily be towed on wheels. There are shops who advertise in "Blue Beret Magazine" published by WBCCI (AIrstream Club) and maybe a member in AR can loan you a copy. Also , Airstream Life Magazine published stories about restorers in 2005, if you can find old copies of that magazine.

One of more interesting questions is how you'd plan to use trailer after restoration.. Do you expect frequent use and long trips? Occasional weekend use locally? There are other threads you can search for on upgrades, and thinking behind including more modern appliances and plumbing and electrical, or trying to stay original...

With floor and window replacements, and potentially rusty frame repairs required, you're in for an expensive project, potentially, if all is hired out to a repair and restoration shop...

Several Forums members, like Andy at Inland RV ( www.inlandrv.com ) do restorations, and can talk about general budgets, but most would have to see the trailer to get closer to a realistic estimate...

As you go through the process, you might be preparing to ask yourself... "Should I sell it to someone else to restore for their use, and spend the money I'd have spent on newer and less challenging project?" Answer may very well be NO, but it is question worth asking... If it has strong family connection, it might be well to keep it, and just be patient with restoration...

John McG

p.s. Thread titles make for easier searching, so starting one called: 1951 Clipper Restoration? might get more responses...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote