Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
2023 25' Flying Cloud
North , Texas
Hi from Texas

Hi everybody , me and dw have trolling for awhile learning about airsteams. Learned alot but still have questions.

Today we actually made a trip to the dealership to look a a/s. F/c 28. Thinking really hard about it. Couple of quick questions though, the shower is small is it still comfortable? Now that we looked at A/s everything else seems sub-par. Price scary too. Please comment with unbiased opinion. ;-)

Oh by the way really enjoy the forum.
Denkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
Hello and welcome. Texan here as well. Last year we were right where you are now. Had dreamed of AS for years then got serious about looking. Checked out several models but once we looked at AS international there was no going back. Nothing else compares. We haven't regretted it for a minute. We come home from one trip planning the next.
AirEPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We were also right where you were a little over a year ago. We looked at AS and SOB's and knew that AS was the only thing we would be happy with... the minimalist design was just so much more appealing than the SOBs.

We looked and really liked the Serenity 23 but in the end the price tag was just too high... so I dogged the AIR Forums classifieds for more than six months and when the perfect 23 footer for us came around I was on the phone with the owner within 3 hours of his posting.

We saved a substantial amount on a 4 year old AS Safari 75th Anniversary edition that had been used 7 times in 4 years... it was almost brand new.

We have already used it more in the past 10 months than two previous owners had in three years.... so we've been very happy with it. So you might want to compare if the price is an issue.

If you decide to look for used, be dogged in your search as there are lots of other folks looking as well, but you will probably find just the right AS.

Best of luck

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We bought a 25FB in 2006, and are having the time of our lives in it. We have camped over 1,000 njghts, and have towed it 90,000 miles.

You're on the right track.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Fellow Texan

You are so close, the aluminitis almost has you in its grip! Welcome and yes the price can be scary. We had a bit of sticker shock and then went to a local rally. Great way to meet folks that already own trailers and many will be glad to let you see the insides..We came away with a hand written list of about 5 trailers that were for sale. Ended up buying a 1984 off that list. (SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than new)
We are having a ball updating and making it ours. Just got back from a long (for us) trip around Big Bend area. Can't wait to get back in and go again. Happy hunting!!

ps; I love the 28ft Internationals. Did you know the 28ft is 1 inch shorter than the 27ft? (chuckle)

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Welcome! Good luck in your search for an Airstream. There are many options available to you. I recommend you check out some vintage units. If a big shower/tub is a must then take a look at a rear bath vintage model. Take Chuck's advice and attend a rally near you and meet some of the greatest, most wonderful people you'll ever come across!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes the shower is normally small but useable. A little practice is helpful, but dancing while singing in theremight be difficult. I am 250 pounds and can use the shower with little difficulty. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We looked for over a year before buying a four year old lightly used 27 FB Safari and are now enjoying the lifestyle. If you buy used do expect to spend several thousand dollars on repairs and improvements, particularly if the unit has been stored outside with little attention and use. Factor the unexpected expenses into your price negotiation and be prepared to walk away if the seller will not meet your price. Leaks and floor rot plague many recent trailers. A 4-5 year old trailer will need new tires as well. Even after fixing leaks, repairing floor rot and buying new tires for us the economics of a used trailer have been superior to new.

Several KOA campgrounds around the country have relatively new Airstreams on site for rent. Before buying we stayed 2 nights in a 25 FB Flying Cloud at a KOA in Bar Harbor, ME. We got to live in it, trying out the systems and shower. This helped to make our decision. There are two locations with the KOA Airstreams in Texas and ten more around the US. Check out the KOA website for specifics. The nightly rate is a little pricy but much less than making a mistake in buying a unit.

Keep looking and the right unit will find you.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Come and Visit

Denkim,

There will be a bunch of us at a pre-rally sort of rally, at the RV park just down the road from you at Murchison, TX this Sunday night. (Staway Ranch RV Park) We're all on our way to the Region 9 WBCCI Rally (region 9 is Texas and Oklahoma) this next week at the civic center in Miniola, TX.

Both of these locations are not too far from you, and we'd be happy to show you around, and answer any question you might have about Airstreams. We anticipate about 20 rigs at Murchison, and about 100 at Miniola.

Welcome to the forums.

Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
2023 25' Flying Cloud
North , Texas
Hi Steve

we would really like that, will Sat. afternoon be to early. I have some time then. next weekend we have to work. But would love to meet y'all.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Denkim,

That will be fine. This coming Saturday, tomorrow the 24th, we will not be there yet, but will be in Murchison the evening of the 25th. Then, will be in Miniola all next week, departing on Sunday, April 1. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same "Saturday".

All the trailers will have numbers on them, and our trailer number is 2541. Those are WBCCI (Wally Byrum Carravan Club International) numbers. Look us up.

Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Yes, it is an expensive proposition, at least it is for someone in my economic bracket. I understand that all things are relative.

We searched for a used trailer in good condition for a long time. It was difficult because we had decided on a 25 FB after looking through the dealer's lot. One came up within a reasonable distance and we saved a load of cash. If you have the patience, you can find a deal out there.

To avoid buyers remorse, remember that an Airstream is a trailer and all trailers need maintenance and care. Things will need to be fixed now and then but I think you will find that in the long run this will be less of an issue than what you would face with an SOB.

As mentioned earlier, if you get a used one there will be some things you will need to attend to. Mine is now pushing 6 years old and last summer I started on the job of recaulking. I have replaced all the tires, the two batteries and the original converter. Other than the converter, the other things were basic maintenance issues.

We love ours and I am sure you will feel the same way. Good luck in your search.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Welcome!! I too have been looking since January. We were at an RV show and looked for over 3 hrs at the SOB and then as we were walking out saw the AS. The second I walked into the 27' FB Serenity, I knew I was "home". Literally in an instant. The quality, the design, it just got me at "hello"!!! I haven't turned back since. But, since I am new to this lifestyle, I am doing months and months of research before buying one. I have received quotes from several dealers in the US and Can-Am in Canada. Don't be afraid to travel to get a good deal especially since all orders placed now for new units are the 2013 models. So, if you are thinking "new" now is a great time to see who will give you the best deal on 2012 models. We restored a '68 Triumph TR250 and I just can't go that route again. I personally, adore the vintage but, I want new.

I attended a local WBCCI club luncheon last weekend and had a blast. I met the nicest folks. So, I would take the suggestion above and attend that rally. You will learn tons and meet great people.

Lots of luck on your search. Cheers!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
2023 25' Flying Cloud
North , Texas
Thanks to the greetings from everybody I hope to meet y'all in the coming travels. Stay safe and happy air streaming!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
understand the feeling

We were at a RV show late January in Kansas City this year.. Looked at 30 or so SOB campers.. One of the last ones we stopped and looked at and 10 times over our budget was a new Airstream.. It seemed to glow in a spotlight all its own.. I even looked to see if any hidden lights were pointed at it.. !

I cant truly explain the feeling.. A time warp,??, a space station,??, but all I can say the workmanship just silly slapped a person like a ton of bricks on ones head.. It was a deal closer for us,, as we put our heads down for another hard effort to find a older Airstream we could afford but not buy a money pit.. Or a new stick and staple wonder..

It turned into a 5 year search for us, and the 72 Overlander we ended up getting a month ago is one I have been watching off and on for a darn long time.. The PO started out at $32,ooo 3+ years ago and we ended up coming home with it for $7000.. I wish now I had hit him harder as its on its last leg for axles ,, but too late now..

What I did late fall when I went pu shopping and what might work for a new Airstream was I email 90 car dealers all at the same time with the outline of what I wanted.. More or less a pain Jane. but all heavy duty. I lost 1/2 the dealers at the start,, but at the end of it all I got a brand new 2012 Ram 4x4 with a hemi/ hitches for under $25k.. Good luck and hold on to that dream,,.

Sodbust
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I have yet t o meet an airstream owner who regretted the purchase! welcome to Airstream land!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Just get the damned ting ...and go!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Denkim -

You're going to find out your "trolling" is going to be well worth all your time and effort. There is lots of good advice and support here on the Forums. This is where we started.

When you begin comparing Airstreams with SOB's you've got to consider the purchase price and subsequent upkeep as an investment. With most SOB's you will begin doing major repairs, renovations or considering trading within about five years of your purchase. At about the ten year mark a lot of SOB's are headed to the junk yard. Some will make it longer but rarely do you see a 20-25 year old SOB still being used on a regular basis. Not so for an Airstream. If you purchase an Airstream, and properly take care of it, you could be handing it down to your kids

I can't highly recommend getting involved in a WBCCI Unit as Travel Bird
suggested. You will meet some wonderful people and they will show you how to best utilize your investment. We have gone to more places, seen more things, and had a much better time than we could have done on our own or ever imagined by joining an active WBCCI Unit (in our case it is the Texas Highland Lakes Unit).

The Region Rally in Mineola next week would be an excellent place to see a great variety of Airstreams and talk with Airstream owners. That's how Chuck and Skye (casa3805) got started just last year. We welcome you to look us up if we can help in any way.

We also have a short list of used Airstreams we are aware of that some of our Members would consider selling. If you are interested in a gently but lovingly used Airstream just send me a PM and I'll forward you that list.

Buying your first Airstream is not a cure for your case of Aluminitis but owning and getting out and enjoying it every opportunity you have is great treatment plan! Good luck!
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
2023 25' Flying Cloud
North , Texas
We been thinking buying new, but not that we not looking at late used.

the dealer has a 28F/C that we really like. Its a fair deal, with financing and trade of our sob.

with that said I've seen some really nice a/s in the classifieds. my biggest concern is there not every close by. I would really like to see some of them but can't make a trip across country. also new has a warranty