Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
understand the feeling

We were at a RV show late January in Kansas City this year.. Looked at 30 or so SOB campers.. One of the last ones we stopped and looked at and 10 times over our budget was a new Airstream.. It seemed to glow in a spotlight all its own.. I even looked to see if any hidden lights were pointed at it.. !

I cant truly explain the feeling.. A time warp,??, a space station,??, but all I can say the workmanship just silly slapped a person like a ton of bricks on ones head.. It was a deal closer for us,, as we put our heads down for another hard effort to find a older Airstream we could afford but not buy a money pit.. Or a new stick and staple wonder..

It turned into a 5 year search for us, and the 72 Overlander we ended up getting a month ago is one I have been watching off and on for a darn long time.. The PO started out at $32,ooo 3+ years ago and we ended up coming home with it for $7000.. I wish now I had hit him harder as its on its last leg for axles ,, but too late now..

What I did late fall when I went pu shopping and what might work for a new Airstream was I email 90 car dealers all at the same time with the outline of what I wanted.. More or less a pain Jane. but all heavy duty. I lost 1/2 the dealers at the start,, but at the end of it all I got a brand new 2012 Ram 4x4 with a hemi/ hitches for under $25k.. Good luck and hold on to that dream,,.

Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
I have yet t o meet an airstream owner who regretted the purchase! welcome to Airstream land!

Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Just get the damned ting ...and go!
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Denkim -

You're going to find out your "trolling" is going to be well worth all your time and effort. There is lots of good advice and support here on the Forums. This is where we started.

When you begin comparing Airstreams with SOB's you've got to consider the purchase price and subsequent upkeep as an investment. With most SOB's you will begin doing major repairs, renovations or considering trading within about five years of your purchase. At about the ten year mark a lot of SOB's are headed to the junk yard. Some will make it longer but rarely do you see a 20-25 year old SOB still being used on a regular basis. Not so for an Airstream. If you purchase an Airstream, and properly take care of it, you could be handing it down to your kids

I can't highly recommend getting involved in a WBCCI Unit as Travel Bird
suggested. You will meet some wonderful people and they will show you how to best utilize your investment. We have gone to more places, seen more things, and had a much better time than we could have done on our own or ever imagined by joining an active WBCCI Unit (in our case it is the Texas Highland Lakes Unit).

The Region Rally in Mineola next week would be an excellent place to see a great variety of Airstreams and talk with Airstream owners. That's how Chuck and Skye (casa3805) got started just last year. We welcome you to look us up if we can help in any way.

We also have a short list of used Airstreams we are aware of that some of our Members would consider selling. If you are interested in a gently but lovingly used Airstream just send me a PM and I'll forward you that list.

Buying your first Airstream is not a cure for your case of Aluminitis but owning and getting out and enjoying it every opportunity you have is great treatment plan! Good luck!
Jimmy and Marque (Zoey)
WBCCI#: 2344
Texas Highland Lakes Unit
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
North , Texas
We been thinking buying new, but not that we not looking at late used.

the dealer has a 28F/C that we really like. Its a fair deal, with financing and trade of our sob.

with that said I've seen some really nice a/s in the classifieds. my biggest concern is there not every close by. I would really like to see some of them but can't make a trip across country. also new has a warranty

Denkim is offline   Reply With Quote