Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

Seguin , Texas
Hi from Texas!

Hello, my name is Mark, and I have joined to try and get some info and maybe help trying to find a home for a very nice Airstream.

I am an automobile restorer, and also dabble in buying and selling somewhat collectable vehicles. A regular customer of mine called me to see if I could help him move some stuff for a friend who's in the hospital and has some substantial medical bills he has to pay.

He's got a lot of really cool stuff- 2 old Vespa scooters, as well as a Honda scooter, an early 80's Honda CX500 streetbike, and a 98 Holiday Rambler RV. All are in great condition and low mileage, but the big treat for me was a big Airstream trailer.

It's a 1972 model (or maybe 73, as it was built in 06/72 according to the tag), and although it still has the rust colored 70's style shag carpet and upholstery, all of it is pretty much low wear and great condition. It was kinda packed in the garage, but from what I could see, there was no body damage to the aluminum, which is also nice and shiny and not oxidized at all. It appears all there, and even appears to have a stock radio and other electronics. The tires look a little dry rotted, so those need replacing I'm sure, but even though I don't really know much about RV's and travel trailers, it really struck me as a time capsule. If this were say a 72 Corvette or something, that I found in this good of condition, I'd be losing my mind, and also probably be quite rich LOL.

A friend of mine is gonna put me in touch with someone local who collects Airstreams, but I figured, the more I know about what I have, the better I'll be able to deal with someone looking to buy it.

I'm not even sure how trailers are measured. The body measures right at 24', and with the tounge, I'd say it's about 27'. Does that mean it's a 27' trailer?

I gotta upload the pics I took to my photo account, and then I'll post a link. I'm just kinda at a loss here, as this is kinda out of my range of expertise. I know Airstreams are very collectable, and some can pull some big bucks depending on year, model and condition. I'm just hoping some of you fine folks here might be able to help me figure out what I got. We're not trying to sell this thing for top dollar or anything, but we don't want to give it away either, as the more money we get, the more med bills get paid. We're looking to find a deal that is fair for all parties involved, but can be done fairly quickly, as the guy needs money in days or weeks rather than months.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your help.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Mark If it measures 27 ft bumper to tongue it is an Overlander. Once you get the pictures post it for sale in the classified section here. If you look at the forums under trailer values you can get an idea of what it is worth. The value depends largely on condition. Several factors weigh in like axle condition, shell damage, floor rot and operational appliances and floorplan as well.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Here is the link to the value guide.
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The smaller trailers tend to be more collectible, partly for the cute factor, partly because they are easier to tow, more vehicles can tow them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to genuine vintage shag carpets and avocado countertops A nice big vintage trailer in good condition is certainly a neat find though!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to genuine vintage shag carpets and avocado countertops A nice big vintage trailer in good condition is certainly a neat find though!
It's probably more like "beauty was in the eye of the beholder".

I've never seen 40-year old shag carpet that looked either nice or neat.

However, if it was newly replaced, I could "dig" it.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

Seguin , Texas
Thank you for the link. I glanced over it, and will go readmore in a minute, but right now I would say what I have is way better than "as found" condition, but not as good as fully restored. I'm no expert, but it appears to me as though everything is stock from when it was new. I could only see the front, back, and one side of the trailer but I didn't see a single dent or anywhere where there is clearcoat failing. I don't know about any of the hookups, lines, or any of that as far as if it all works or not, but given the condition of everything else, and the fact that it was owned by someone who cares for things as meticulously as he does, I would expect everything works fine, or at least did the last time it was used almost 10 years ago. The only thing that stuck out at me as far as being in "bad" shape was the tires that were a bit dry rotted.

Anyway, here's the pics I took of it. I had a few more but they didn't turn out very well. The trailer was in a big garage with very little light and my camera wouldn't cooperate very well with me...

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums...-25-10_019.jpg
http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums...-25-10_020.jpg
http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums...-25-10_010.jpg
http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums...-25-10_011.jpg
http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums...-25-10_012.jpg
http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums...-25-10_013.jpg
http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums...-25-10_014.jpg

Looking at the pics now I see what looks like a little scrape on the side view pic, and maybe some clear failing over the left taillight. Still, I don't think it's too bad.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Since you're off the beaten path (more buyers in Houston/Dallas than San Antonio/Austin), it's not easy to lure them hither. Get it outside, remove everything loose from inside, do a general wipe-down and take some good pics at dawn or dusk.

Folks do nationwide CRAIGSLIST searches for trailers, and around here (genuine enthusiasts) they'll travel across several states for the right one. I compiled a huge number of pictures on CD's which I sent out by request. Took a few months, but had two buyers each travel more than 400-miles roundtrip on the same day . . one just beat the other by an hour or so.

Expect that it will take time, so the more pictures (of what appears decent condition) of an untouched original will generate it's own interest.

A set of tires and bearing re-pack plus brake adjustment may be the inducement some would need to lay out the green and git'er gone from your friends place.

(Click link in sig for some photo samples of my '83 non-Airstream).

Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #8

Seguin , Texas
Thanks for all the info!

The only problem is that the trailer is about 30 minutes from my place, and is being kept inside a big garage at the owners house. Due to the fact he hasn't been staying in the house for over a year, there is no water or electricity to do much repiaring or detailing (utilities have been shut off).

We also don't have much money to put into new tires or other parts, or getting the registration up to date so that we could haul it to my shop.

The plan is to go out there this weekend, get it outside, clean up what I can, and try and test what accessories I can, then get lots of better pics and put it up for sale as-is.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #9

Seguin , Texas
Thanks for everyone's help with this. We sold the trailer to a very nice Airstream enthusiast for $7500.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Job well done. I'm sure your friend appreciates the help and the new buyer is very happy. Sounds like a win win situation.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Smile

Oh well - was too late - hope they enjoy.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote