Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Windham , Connecticut
Question Hi from prospective new owner of an Airstream

I have enjoyed reading threads from this site over the last several days and thought I would join even though I do not yet own an Airstream, or any other camper for that matter! We hope to purchase a camper over the next year. Our dream is to go to Yellowstone, and we don't want to leave our dogs in a kennel while we are gone. Our preference would be to get a 16' Airstream for ease of towing, and i think the two of us and our dogs would fit fine, especially since we would be towing with a Ford cargo van. Unfortuantely I'm sure if an Airstream will be possible given the cost. So my first question, and I hope this is the correct forum in which to post it, is Is it possible to purchase a small used Airstream camper in the $20,000.00 range?
Molly B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
One can find anything out there. That said, I'd look at a 19' at minimum. The 16' may look okay, but once on the road with two people and two dogs on a rainy cold day it can get pretty cramped.

But then we only run the 30' version. Two of us and two big dogs and we enjoy our room.

Look at the two big dealers in the East. Haydocy in Columbus, OH - talk to Eric Davis and then Colonial in Lakewood NJ, talk to either Lauren or Patrick. We have had dealings with both companies, fair, honest and up front.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
For $20K you'll have to go back and get a much older Airstream, and it might need some "work". Good luck in your search.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Windham , Connecticut
Thank you! A 19' is also on option. We are not used to towing so were going to keep it short. I would rather go with a little more space but will probably not be the usual driver. I did see the dealer in new jersey, and was thinking of contacting them. Do you think my price range is realistic? There seem to be so may more of these campers in the western part of the state. Pretty frustrating here in CT! We will be going to a RV camper show locally this January and hope to be able to see the different models there. I assume that is a good place to see the different models although they will all probably be the newest.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I love dogs, I also love dogs, and dogs.

As a dog lover, who loves dogs, I think dogs love me too. I have never left a dog in a kennel, and want my dogs with me everywhere I go. I camp with friends who don't mind dog sitting.

That being said ( that I love dogs ), they can be a damper once you get where you are going.

#1 Not good to leave them in a camper when you are gone. It could get hot, or they could chew up your camper, and they might start barking.

#2 Not good to leave them tied up. They might start barking and annoy people, or they could get attacked by a wild animal with nowhere to run.

#3 Dogs aren't allowed in certain places

#4 Some places don't allow dogs off of your campsite.

#5 Some places have size restrictions.

#6 Some people don't like dogs……I don't get it !!!!!!!!!
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Keep in mind that a 16' Airstream has a wet bath and combination grey/black tank. These are issues to be aware of when selecting a camper of any brand.

Also, you need to read about Yellowstone's rules regarding pets in the Park.

Pets are not allowed on boardwalks, trails, or in the back country. This means that the dogs would be confined to the car while you are out seeing the sights of Yellowstone. Accordingly, it would probably be best not to visit Yellowstone during the heat of mid summer.

Good luck in your quest.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
One of the things we love about Airstreaming is that we take the dog with us, never in a kennel. But, we never leave him alone in the trailer as he would bark and bark. However, his happy place is the truck. When we go out to eat of see a sight, he sleeps in the truck, happily. We do look for parks to let him run, especially dog parks. While every campground we have used allows dogs, the dogs generally must be kept leashed on your camp site. Dog runs at campgrounds are usually very small.

welcome,
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
My advice would be to visit some RV shows and dealers so that you can compare the different offerings. Sit in them, move around in them, and pretend you are camping in them - just so you can get a feel for how much room you might need. We were considering a 23', but ended up with a 25' to get something that we thought would work for us - 2 people and 1 dog.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Welcome to the forum! To answer your question about price, I do not think you will be able to get a late model airstream for 20k. Take a look at everything available in your price range. When we were in your boat a couple of years ago, I thought we would never buy an Airstream. Too much money. We slowly warmed to the idea and looked at resale and long term value.

We purchased a 16' and used it heavily for over a year. It was great, but small. We did what a lot of folks do and upgraded. It was a process. We wanted to make sure we would enjoy it before we jumped all in. The 16' allowed us to keep our existing vehicle to tow with. That was a much easier pill to swallow at the time.

Good luck!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Windham , Connecticut
Thanks to all of you for your input. I spoke with the dealership in New Jersey. They were very helpful and fortunately not too discouraging! I am going to familiarize myself with all the smaller models made through the late 1980's through the early 2000's. This should be a fun and interesting endeavor! hopefully we will be on the road with one of these by next spring!