Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Red Lion , Pennsylvania
Hi! from Pennsylvania

Hello to all! My name is Rudy, finally found some time to introduce myself. I got the A/S fever in the early 70s , we were camping in Corpus Christi Tx and this guy pulls in with a small Argosy, I told my wife (Cyndy) right then "this is the way to go" and later my sister in-law parents bought a 26' Argosy and I thought it was a palace...(all I had was a pup up), so ever since I've been wanting to get an A/S or Argosy. Finally I am about to retire in the spring and I am looking for one. The amount of information in this forums is fantastic and invaluable, I found terrific information that helped me know what to look for in a A/S. Now, a question : what size A/S above 20' could I safely pull with my 2002 F150 4x4. Thanks to all and Happy new year!

Rudy Colino
Argentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Hi Rudy,
Welcome,
To answer your question it would depend on the year. The newer ones 25 would be about it. THe older they get the lighter they are and the more trailer you can pull.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Red Lion , Pennsylvania
Thank you Michelle, dumb me I forgot to give the engine size, I have a 5.4 liter.
Thanks again Rudy
Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Red face

Hi Rudy and welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I agree on the limits of a half ton truck. A modern 25 footer (7000#) is about the comfort max that I would consider.

Good luck in your search for the perfect Airstream or Argosy.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Welcome to the forum.

Your question depends alot on how you are going to use your Airstream. Short local trips or long over-the-road adventures. On short hops you could probably go up to a 28 foot modern unit, but I would agree with others that 25 foot is probably more realistic. Older units, Argosy included, are lighter and you could more easily tow a 28 to 29 foot unit.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I agree with the posts above, I mainly wanted to welcome you!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Red Lion , Pennsylvania
Thanks to all of you for the info, I'll be using it for long trips to the south in winter and I don't have any plans to go thru thr Rockies.-
Rudy
Old 12-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Hello, wanted to welcome you as well. The official answer to your question would be to look up tow capacity of your truck and then check the gross vehicle weight of the trailer you have in mind. As stated above, the older Airstreams are lighter, especially those buitl in teh 60's and previous. I tow with a truck basically rated as a half ton truck with a 4.7L engine and feel confortable with our 24 footer. Some trucks will vary as to gear ratios and tire size and such. Check to see if your truck has a tow package, that's more than just having a bumber hitch (salesmen will tell you anything) Tow package will include a class 3 frame hitch, wiring harness, electric trailer brakes is very good to have operational, and preferably a transmission oil cooler and maybe even an engine oil cooler. These would be very good and just about neccessary to have if pulling in the summer heat and/ or up and down inclines. Remember, pulling power is only half the story, you also have to be able to stop what you're pulling.