Old 07-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oregon City , Oregon
Hi from Oregon!

Hello all!
My wife and I are newbies at this airstream lifestyle. We pick up our first trailer this weekend! We went with a 2014 25' FB Flying Cloud. If any one has any advise before signing the papers on Saturday I would love to hear. Looking forward to learning more and traveling..

Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
I offer the same advice that your neighbor NIKE gives us: Just do it!

Old 07-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
You might read the threads that talk about the sealant that the dealer will want to sell you. Lots of folks are against the concept and recommend waxing. Same for the extended warranty.

Pick up a couple of extra key blanks so you have spares and do not lock yourself out.

Pay close attention to the orientation at pickup. The AC/heat control looks simple, but it took us a long time to understand. Have them show you where the water valves are on the water heater and verify they are in the correct position. Go over the process for winterizing and read the threads here before it gets cold. Lower and retract the awning (both of you). Open the windows and ask how to keep them from sticking. Open all the cabinets and ask them how to access the water pump. Store the microwave glass plate where it is cushioned and will not break. Ask for the clip that holds the frig door open when stored (may not work for you but worth seeing.) Buy a clearcoat pen to seal scratches. Get a 50amp to 30amp connector. Ask them how they install a battery isolation switch and think about installing one. Have them explain how the battery use/store switch works. Should not be in use mode all the time when on shore power. Understand why - read the threads here. Understand the propane regulator switch over function and specifically have them show you how the indicator works when one tank runs out. Open and close the door several times. If you have to slam it, talk to them about it. They may need to fix it.

Spend some time going over the hitch adjustment. Why, how, whqt should you expect. Same with brake control. Have them show you haw to set it up.

Go on a couple of one or two night shake down trips before you go on a long trip. Better to find problems earlier than later. And if none, you can brag to us you got a good one.

Go slow. If you are uncomfortable, slow down, stop, or leave depending what the problem is. Look before you move it, always, every time. Make check lists and use them, every time.

Note - a lot of the gear you have, so do not go crazy about the stuff. Focus on understanding the systems.

Oh! what he said - just do it. Travel safe. Pat
Old 07-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oregon City , Oregon
Thanks for the advice and input!! We went for the walk through and it was a ton of info but we took lots of notes. Thanks again and cheers.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Welcome to air streaming, Azorca. We bought our FC just over a year ago from what I asume is the same dealer in Gladstone. One big tip. If you are going to store your trailer for more than a week, physically take off all the positive wires from your batteries. If you don't even with the switch in store position, the batteries can run down quickly and get too drained to be properly recharged. I didn't do this and my factory Interstates lasted only one year before needing replacement. If you have any questions, I'm in the SW Portland/Tigard area. Enjoy.

Mike
Old 07-25-2016, 02:09 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oregon City , Oregon
Mike, thanks for the advise I will be sure to add that to my growing check list. Any other nuances that you have discovered? We did purchase from Gladstone we live in Clackamas county so it was very convenient.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Welcome to air streaming, Azorca. We bought our FC just over a year ago from what I asume is the same dealer in Gladstone. One big tip. If you are going to store your trailer for more than a week, physically take off all the positive wires from your batteries. If you don't even with the switch in store position, the batteries can run down quickly and get too drained to be properly recharged. I didn't do this and my factory Interstates lasted only one year before needing replacement. If you have any questions, I'm in the SW Portland/Tigard area. Enjoy.

Mike
Thats great advise except remove the negative terminals not the positive.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I believe it is easier to remove just the jumper cable which connects one battery to the other.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Make sure that during the walk through, you see every panel or door opened which have equipment hidden. Like the water pump, furnace, hot water heater, etc. with the hot water heater, have them point out the bypass valves, and show you the normal positioning and the bypass positioning, for winterizing. Make sure every system works, like the furnace, air conditioner, refrigerator, hot water heater, and in both electric and propane modes for the fridge and hot water heater. If something is not working, have the dealer fix it then and there. If the dealer has a spot where you can hook up and spend the night, using all the systems, so much the better. You can make a list of questions about things which you could not get to work, and it will help fix all the information you will get in your mind. Ditto the advice about keys. The dealer should at the least have deadbolt blanks, if he can't cut them. Get three or four sets of copies, and keep the originals in a safe spot, to have if more copies are needed. Verify that all keys work, keep a set in the tow vehicle, or hidden in a spot accessible from outside. Most important, have fun!

Check out www.wbcci.org for more friends you haven't met yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Exellent advice, Tom, especially about the keys, and having multiple copies with you on any trip. If the tow vehicle has a digital key-less entry system, it is a great place to hide extra tow vehicle and trailer keys, among other things. Everyone in our extended family knows the combo. to get into the tow vehicle, which makes for great peace of mind on trips, including emergency access if needed.

And ditto to the most important line item -- have fun!

Thanks,

Peter
Old 07-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I believe it is easier to remove just the jumper cable which connects one battery to the other.
Well, pulling just the jumpers would not isolate the batteries on my 27. Both batteries have stuff connected to both positive and negative posts.

As far as pulling either the positive or negative, I' sure either would achieve the same thing. As long as there isn't a complete path for current to flow...I only suggested the positive because that's what Lewster suggested in another thread.

Anyway, for the IP of this thread, there is a lot of interesting reading on the forum about your batteries, converter, and general electrical management that was a real eye opener for me after having battery issues with my new trailer.

Mike
Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZORCA View Post
Mike, thanks for the advise I will be sure to add that to my growing check list. Any other nuances that you have discovered? We did purchase from Gladstone we live in Clackamas county so it was very convenient.
Windows sticky and hard to open from inside the trailer? Boeing 303 spray or silicone spray on the rubber seal is the answer.

There is a book on Amazon by Rich Lurh called "The Nearly Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance". It helps a bunch in figuring out what you can do and what you might need to take back to the dealer.

Mike
Old 07-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
Thats great advise except remove the negative terminals not the positive.
I'm in the same boat as Caffeinated and suspect I have slightly damaged batteries. Parasitic draw...Propane detector and radio are the culprits and seems I remember hearing about another device on newer units that draws too. The jack lead is my only other direct connection @ the batts and it doesn't draw unless used.

I also follow SpletKay06 advice but agree with OTRA15's post. Certainly the jumper nut is easier than the connection to the post.

Any electricians out there...does it make a difference where as long as the circuit is broken?

This similar thread was from yesterday and Al and Missy had a great list.

Personally I would ask for the manual ahead of time and take a thorough read? It all depends your knowledge level from prior ownership. Our was minimal (a pop-top tent) and I couldn't write fast enough to take notes. If you can repeat the function after they explain it...at least for me doing it sets the process and helps me to remember it. A friend asked his wife to video taped it when he did the walk though.

I would also camp locally ASAP for your maiden voyage, maybe midweek when the dealer is open.

Lastly read the forums, save links or subscribe to links that you want to follow/remember. Personally I save links by category in folder. Key is learning and understanding the search functions.

Welcome to the forums!

Bob
Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Keep reading this forum. You'll spend more money on stuff than you ever dreamed possible!