Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . . agree with OTRA15's post. Certainly the jumper nut is easier than the connection to the post.

Any electricians out there...does it make a difference where as long as the circuit is broken?
. . .
It is my understanding that breaking the circuit by removing the jumper between the two negative terminals is enough to break all 12-volt circuits, including the parasitic ones. [see photo]

Even if the tongue jack, for instance, is wired directly to a positive battery terminal, and is grounded to the trailer's chassis to complete its circuit, the continuation of that circuit must include the removed jumper IMO.

The one possible complication to this logic might be if some circuit, which is connected directly to a battery positive terminal, is able to find its way to "ground" [as in the actual Earth under the trailer] via some kind of weird short-circuit, perhaps in a very wet rain storm. Well this might be possible?

Happy for any expert to explain otherwise. I thought one had explained the negative jumper removal, but I can't find that post right now.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- The further insurance of also removing the short jumper cable between the 2 positive terminals would not take much longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 Batt Neg Jumper A 26 JUL 2016.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	267733  

Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
It is my understanding that breaking the circuit by removing the jumper between the two negative terminals is enough to break all 12-volt circuits, including the parasitic ones. [see photo]

Even if the tongue jack, for instance, is wired directly to a positive battery terminal, and is grounded to the trailer's chassis to complete its circuit, the continuation of that circuit must include the removed jumper IMO.

The one possible complication to this logic might be if some circuit, which is connected directly to a battery positive terminal, is able to find its way to "ground" [as in the actual Earth under the trailer] via some kind of weird short-circuit, perhaps in a very wet rain storm. Well this might be possible?

Happy for any expert to explain otherwise. I thought one had explained the negative jumper removal, but I can't find that post right now.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- The further insurance of also removing the short jumper cable between the 2 positive terminals would not take much longer.

makes sense...even in Oregon, where it never rains in Autzen Stadium

surely the jumpers are easier to disconnect.

Thanks for the tip

Bob

Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Well, I'm not sure about the jumper, you guys may be right. One could test the hypothesis by removing only the jumpers. And checking the voltage daily with a digital multimeter, which of course every Airstream owner has.

And speaking of digital multimeters, there is a thread for that. :0

Mike
Old 07-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZORCA View Post
Hello all!
My wife and I are newbies at this airstream lifestyle. We pick up our first trailer this weekend! We went with a 2014 25' FB Flying Cloud. If any one has any advise before signing the papers on Saturday I would love to hear. Looking forward to learning more and traveling..
Join the Club...

Oregon Unit 90 of the WBCCI is a very active group of Airstream enthusiasts and among it's almost 200 members you will find someone to answer any question about Airstreams and traveling on the road. Several in our club are happiest when they are completely restoring older Airstreams to better than new condition.

We have a breakfast on the first Saturday of each month at the Crown Plaza Hotel, 14811 Kruse Oaks Drive, Lake Oswego, Oregon. Come and introduce yourselves and get to know us!

http://oregonunit.wbcci.net/oregon-u...e-oregon-unit/
Old 07-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
One end of the negative jumper can be removed and lifted up by taking off one nut on the negative battery post. [the top end of the jumper in the photo in Post #15]

Zero volts should be the reading on the trailer's monitor.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
One end of the negative jumper can be removed and lifted up by taking off one nut on the negative battery post. [the top end of the jumper in the photo in Post #15]

Zero volts should be the reading on the trailer's monitor.

I don't want to hijack this thread and can move to the 20 footers which allows for a wider range of discussion. Just let me know.

I realized when I started to connect my neg connection that the dealer When the dealer swamped out the jack last week, when I was disconnecting the neg as usual, I realized they had connected it differently.

As you can see in the image the OEM install was POS to street side batt and the NEG to the curb site batt.

They had connected both POS and NEG to the street side battery and jumps to the CS batt..

So questions are:
#1) is how are you all connected
#2) Is there an electrical engineering reason to connect POS & NEG to the same batt and utilize jumps to the other batt or is it better to connect POS and NEG to opposite batts, still using the jumps.
#3) does it matter as long as you don't need/want to cut off all power from the batts and so all associated parasitic draws.

I disconnected the one jumper and realized, I need to do both. Then for GP, I moved the NEG to the CS post.

I've been considering (assuming I have elevation room in the box) of adding batt disconnect...I presume at the NEG post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Batt box OEM.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	267762  
Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
2014 FC 25' battery

Think you should be happy with the 25'.

Battery: We had bad luck with our first batteries from AS, and had them replaced under warranty from Interstate. We elected to just get AGM's and paid the difference. We also put in a cut off switch, in picture below, just to be sure nothing is drawing currant. Note switch is in off position in first picture. This works well for us.

This being our 3rd 25' AS, we are pretty comfortable with this size. Advantage of the newer models especially with twin beds, is more outside storage; also want the ducted air, but we do not use air up in MT during the summer. We think the 25' works well for us. Likely get a newer 25' with ducted air sometime next year, now that we are back in TX starting in September....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery cut off.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	267763   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	267765  

Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZORCA View Post
Hello all!
My wife and I are newbies at this airstream lifestyle. We pick up our first trailer this weekend! We went with a 2014 25' FB Flying Cloud. If any one has any advise before signing the papers on Saturday I would love to hear. Looking forward to learning more and traveling..
I would like to welcome you to the forum, and apologize for the digression we got into about the batteries. Many of the earlier replies here gave great advice for what to expect and focus on as newcomers. At first, the process can be overwhelming but with a good dealer, and the advice here, you are bound to have fun!

We had a 25' Airstream in the 1990's and loved it. A recent retirement has opened the path for our new 20' Flying Cloud, which I think of as the 25' shrunk down a lot, but we miss the separate bedroom for sure. Which model 25' are you getting?

Sorry once again if our battery discussion made you feel unwelcome. You will find that these threads tend to wander all over, and that sooner or later they get back on-topic, hopefully.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I did not mean to turn this into a total battery maintenance thread.

One other important thing to check regularly, is your tire pressure on your AS. Not to open a can of worms, but if your trailer has Good Year Marathons it appears critically important that they be properly inflated before setting off on a trip. I use a little Viair 12 volt compressor to air out the tires and it works really well.

Mike

Mike
Old 07-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
I apologize to all. Discussion is always good but it is better to be in the context of the appropriate category ~ thread

I have re-posted my #20 (?) post re batt disconnect in the Battery sub-forum at:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ml#post1826918

Again my apologies to all.

Bob
Old 07-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
Damascus , Oregon
Welcome Azorca!

My Wife and I started a complete overhaul on a 1958 Pacer 2.5 years ago in Wisconsin.
2 years ago we pulled the freshly assembled carcass 2000 miles across country to live just down the road in Damascus. I finished the cabinetry last weekend, will be polishing the next two weekends, then it will be time to unveil our baby at our first AS rally at Champoeg SP mid August.

Maybe we'll see you there.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f104...er-111301.html

Todd & Betty Herbst
Old 07-27-2016, 12:56 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oregon City , Oregon
Wow thanks to all for the input, it's great to hear all the info and experience people have. I don't mind the digression at all it gives me things to consider and prepare for. We went with the 25' flying cloud front bed. We pick it up next week as there was some maintenance and a few issues that needed to be addressed. I will have to check out the local clubs and rally's thanks for posting links and photos.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
back to 25' thread...

Yea; sorry if we got a bit carried away on the batteries. Welcome and as I mentioned earlier, we think the 25' is great for our needs. Hope you have a great experience...as many mention, you will be able to get lots of valuable advice (want it or not!) on the Forum!