Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Las Vegas , Nevada
Hi from Las Vegas

About 3 months ago, my husband and I bought a 19' Bambi. This was our first time rving. WE LOVE IT! However, it didn't take too many trips with my husband sleeping on the dinette bed for us to realize we needed a larger trailer, and have already traded it in for a 31 Classic. We decided to get our retirement travelling trailer about 6 years early. We are looking forward to attending our first rally in Las Vegas in October and meeting some of you!
LVD&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD&D
About 3 months ago, my husband and I bought a 19' Bambi. This was our first time rving. WE LOVE IT! However, it didn't take too many trips with my husband sleeping on the dinette bed for us to realize we needed a larger trailer, and have already traded it in for a 31 Classic. We decided to get our retirement travelling trailer about 6 years early. We are looking forward to attending our first rally in Las Vegas in October and meeting some of you!
Welcom to the forums, and congratulations on your new classic. The 31' is a nice trailer, but it is on the heavy side. If you've been reading the posts on the forum this week, I'm sure you've seen the tragic accidents that have happened while towing. At least one involved an undersized tow vehicle. You didn't mention your TV, so I assume it is up to the job. Just maintain your rig and TV, err on the side of caution, and don't get into a hurry - you're towing over 8,000 lbs behind you. Your 31' will track well behind your TV, and you will have more than enough room. No "cabin fever" in this one when the weather keeps you inside.

This is a great forum with a bunch of people eager to answer your questions and will want to see pictures of your rig and the places you visit. The forum also has a good search function to help you find answers on just about any subject.

Happy trails.

_____Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome! Hope you have a great time at the rally. You're sure to meet lots of great people there ~
Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Las Vegas , Nevada
Greetings from another Las Vegas Airstream newbie!

jpgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Las Vegas , Nevada
Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Tom, our tow vehicle is a Dodge HD 2500 with 6.7 litre cummins diesel and we use a weight distribution hitch with anti sway bars. The cummins has a jake break which works quite well when going down steep inclines. So far so good but we will heed your advice and drive carefully. Thanks, Dick and Dolores
Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Welcome!

Hope this forum provides you with all the information and camradarie you could ever hope for
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:

LVD&D, did your Bambi only have the dinette table and no bed? We're looking at the one with a dinette and a bed, thinking the bed would be roomy enough for one of us and the dinette for the other (him, most likely ). Is the dinette bed uncomfortable, and would a tempurpedic-type mattress topper help, do you think?
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
LVD&D...welcome to the Airforums...didn't take you long to trade up, huh? Wow 19' to 31'...quite a step! Congrats! You'll no doubt like the additional room...

And may you have many Happy Trails!

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Size problem solved. Welcome to the forums and to The world of Airstream
DC
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Las Vegas , Nevada
I can tell your husband from experience that (1) he will be the one sleeping in the dinette and (2) he will find it gets old very quickly. You will also get used to towing a larger trailer very quickly. Actually, the 31 with dual axles is much easier to back up and tows beautifully. Our advice would be to go with a 25 footer or above with queen berth.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Las Vegas , Nevada
Josh and Roberta, are you going to attend the ralley at the Oasis this month? If so, hope to meet you there.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
LVD&D, I am sure you're right. The DH wants to start out small, however, and his mind is made up. I'm sure we can rectify things if we feel we need to trade up in size, although it will require trading up in tv as well. So, we'll see. I'm just happy he's agreed to start this venture with me in the first place, lol! We spent too many hot days here last summer with not a lot to do, which convinced me we needed a camper. Have fun!
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote