Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Hi from Denver, CO.

Just a quick intro.

My wife, my son and I are very active outdoors enthusiasts. For the past year we have been thinking at possibly getting a camper. The two type we have been researching are teardrops and Airstreams. We love the classic and timeless look of both, but we feel the AS offers more convenience, like a shower : )... We are thinking of buying used (under 10 years) for our first one. The models we are most interested in is both sports models, especially the 16 DWR Bambi, however we are a little concerned by the size of the bed for 2 adults, the 22 is a bit bigger, the other model would be the FC fb, which has a queen bed, but might be a little much for a first camper.

So far we love the forum, so much great people and amazing info... super helpful. cheers.
lifeisfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I'd go with the 22 or 23. Advantage of the 23 is 2 axles. Neither is really to big for a beginner. You'll be thankful for the space with 3 people in there.

Not positive on the 22, but I think both the bigger trailers avoid the wet bathes well.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Conifer: We have been Airstreaming for 12 years. I consider Airstreams travel trailers where you bring your motel room with you and rent some ground to park it on. Then we go sightseeing or hiking. When I was a kid, we had a Shasta trailer that our family took summer vacations with for several years. We traveled to the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Colorado, California, and Washington DC. It was great for us kids to see some of our great country. The Shasta was our "base camp".

We have debated in these Forums about the suitability of a Airstream in the backcountry. I won't pull mine down rough, washed out dirt roads here in Colorado. Others don't have problems doing so. Airstreams don't have a wealth of ground clearance for very rough roads. I do like visiting State Parks and the like. You can "boondock" for several days in an Airstream if you don't mind not having much AC electricity to run a microwave or a computer.

Most folks will advise to buy as big as you can for the long haul. All of us end up wishing we had more room. Airstreams last a long time, and there a plenty of less expensive 25 year old Airstreams in very good condition out there.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

2018 22' Sport
Broomfield , Colorado
This is my first post on this forum. My wife, son and I just sold our T@B and pick up our sport 22 next Friday. We loved our T@B but it was just a bit too small for the three of us. I think there are many similarities in the products from an aesthetic and quality perspective. Looking forward to being part of the airstream community. Reach out if you have questions on the T@B..
SkiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome to the forum! You can learn quite a bit here and all of us crazy Airstream folks are full of opinions on what to do, how to do it, and how to have fun with it all.

There are several models to choose from, so, start asking questions. Go look at as many models as you can. Windish usually has several models of Airstreams at the January RV show. Check out other Airstream dealers across the country to see what they have.

Most of all....have a lot of fun!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Welcome from Arvada to both of you
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #7

Paducah , Alabama
Hi from Denver, CO.

My name is Richard my wife Shellenne, We just purchased a 1998 Excella 1000 31 ft. We are from Kentucky. I am getting ready to retire within two years we bought this airstream to get are feet wet!! absolutely love it!! first trip is next month from Kentucky to Colorado, all though I did buy it in Kansas City, We will be going right back through there. I’ve learned a lot about the airstream in the past few weeks absolutely LOVE IT, been watching a lot of YouTube about traveling Boondocking !! looking forward to new adventures.
Used to traveling in a Airstream with mom & dad straight from California to Kentucky when I was a kid but Never did anything but play HA HA.
Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado and welcome to the Airstream community. You have found, like I did 8 years ago, that this website is very informative on all things Airstream.

Congratulations on your new Excella. You jumped right into the deep end with both feet! You will have a long trip across the great plains to get to Colorado. Be aware that it is snowing in the high country today. Winter and skiing is about 6 weeks away. But Denver weather will be okay, quite nice in fact.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #9

Paducah , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello from Colorado and welcome to the Airstream community. You have found, like I did 8 years ago, that this website is very informative on all things Airstream.

Congratulations on your new Excella. You jumped right into the deep end with both feet! You will have a long trip across the great plains to get to Colorado. Be aware that it is snowing in the high country today. Winter and skiing is about 6 weeks away. But Denver weather will be okay, quite nice in fact.

David

Hello David, thanks for the reply yes we jumped in, we are both looking forward to the trip to Colorado, we will be leaving on the 9th to be there on the 12th of October. I can hardly think about anything else but getting ready to go!! so used to working every single day it’s going to be a big change to walk away for a few weeks, ha ha, I own three businesses hard to get away. I pulled (Dorothy)the airstream back from Kansas didn’t bother me. I used to drive a tractor-trailer but never tackled snow with the trailer but I think I’ll be fine. And yes we are staying around Denver area. But anyways you have a great adventures yourself. Talk to you soon.
Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote