Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Hi Everyone

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site, and have never owned an Airstream before. I am however looking to see if I can possibly find a 16' to 19' as I do quit a bit of tent camping currently.

At the moment I think it might be best if I can find a 16' to rent for two weeks to go camping in Canada in late July. I am not sure how I need to be set up for hitch and brakes. My current vehicle is a 97 Toyota 4Runner Limited which has a hitch and hookup for lights. I have towed many trailers with cars on them, so I am assuming it will work to haul an Airstream.

If anyone knows of a place that is reasonable with renting of a small Airstream, I would greatly appreciate it. My place of residence is Lawrenceville GA.

If however I come across a small airstream in great condition and price, then that might be the way to go. I am single therefore am not looking for anything that needs welding, or total renovation.

Thanking you all in advance for your knowledge and any guidance you may have

Suzanne
PenduraLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Suzanne, good luck trying to find something to rent. I've seen lots of rental SOB's but Airstreams are just too pricy. I love my friends, but I wouldn't lend or rent mine to any of them.

DO check your local KOA though... Quite a few of them now have Airstream "cabins" for rent - so you could get the look and feel of camping in one, without towing it. Ours in Virginia Beach has a 25 FB SE. Not exactly what you're looking to buy but it is an Airstream.

May I recommend "Top of Georgia" Airstream park? I'm sure you could wrangle a visit to a rally or even just a quiet weekend there. Most Airstreamers love showing off their units... and you might even find a unit or two for sale right on the campground.

You'd also get very good advice on tow vehicles from the long term owners.

Happy Trails, Paula
Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Suzanne,

This weekend is the Buddy Rally at Top of Georgia near Helen, GA.. Top of Georgia Airstream Park
Unfortunately we won't be able to attend, but you may want to inquire if there is space. We are new to the Georgia Unit ourselves, so I am not sure of the answer. I think I saw a couple of trailers for sale when we stopped in after Springstream up in Hiawassee. There are quite a few Airstreamers in the ATL area who frequent this site. We live half an hour south of the city. Welcome to Airforums.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Thank You Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Suzanne, good luck trying to find something to rent. I've seen lots of rental SOB's but Airstreams are just too pricy. I love my friends, but I wouldn't lend or rent mine to any of them.

DO check your local KOA though... Quite a few of them now have Airstream "cabins" for rent - so you could get the look and feel of camping in one, without towing it. Ours in Virginia Beach has a 25 FB SE. Not exactly what you're looking to buy but it is an Airstream.

May I recommend "Top of Georgia" Airstream park? I'm sure you could wrangle a visit to a rally or even just a quiet weekend there. Most Airstreamers love showing off their units... and you might even find a unit or two for sale right on the campground.

Happy Trails, Paula
Thank you Paula for the info and advice. Will definitely check it out
Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Thank Craig and Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Suzanne,

This weekend is the Buddy Rally at Top of Georgia near Helen, GA.. Top of Georgia Airstream Park
Unfortunately we won't be able to attend, but you may want to inquire if there is space. We are new to the Georgia Unit ourselves, so I am not sure of the answer. I think I saw a couple of trailers for sale when we stopped in after Springstream up in Hiawassee. There are quite a few Airstreamers in the ATL area who frequent this site. We live half an hour south of the city. Welcome to Airforums.
Thank you for the welcome, and for the guidance! With patience I will find a bambi II or a 6Meter Minuet!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Happy Trails, Paula
Thanks FoiledAgain Appreciate the insight and info. Was just up there last weekend as I took a drive around the triangle, and a stop at BrassBaldTown/mtn very pretty! Hopefully if I go that they will let me in, if I tell them I am in the market to buy an airstream and want to get some info.