Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Lake Clarke Shores , Florida
Wink Hi Everyone!

My husband and I (more I than my hubby) have been toying with the idea of getting a vintage airstream. We are both very . . . very handy (we've been remoding our house for the last few years, ripping out walls, retilling bathrooms, etc) so we weren't worried if we found one that needed TLC.

I've been a reader of this site off-and-on for a couple of years, so when my hubby called me last night to tell me that he found a 1981 (newer that I had originally thought about owning) 27' (the exact size I wanted) International that appeared to be all original the next town over, I immediatley went to this site to review what I needed to check for before buying it. It had one owner and his daughter was selling it. Asking price was $5,500 (reduced from $7,500). As we piled into the car to go look at it tonight, I got a call saying that she had taken a deposit on it and was taking it off the market.

As you can image, I was quite dissappointed!

We will keep looking, but I seems that there are not alot of 1980's for sale. Is that because the market had dropped? Or because most of the people who bought them in the 80's still use them? Any suggestions?

Marydenyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Talking Welcome from the Heartland....

Too bad about missing out on a great deal. I think you are right in that many Airstreams from the 80s are still be used by their original owners. Aluminum can always be polished and they don't start looking old.

We have been working on ours for the last 3 years and there is a silver glint at the end of the tunnel and it is getting closer by the day. After 40 years of marriage we finally found something that both of us enjoy doing. He does the mechanical and I color coordinate and do research.

Just keep your eyes open. There are probably several in your area hiding out somewhere. I keep checking the classifieds right here on the forums.

Good luck.

Beth and/or David

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Currently Looking...
Thanks Beth for the quick Hello. I will definately keep looking.

Sounds like you and yours have a similar division of the labor. He is the mechanical 'junkie' and I am the decorator. Good luck on the re-do!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Check out Craigs list in the areas you are interested in travelling to on a daily basis. It is surprising what shows up (and sells quickly) on it. Don't commit to buy over the phone though - what someone else thinks is great may be questionable to you.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Currently Looking...
Thanks Barry. Both my husband and I are big ebay & craigs list shoppers. I will keep checking.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1980 31' Excella II
Groveport , Ohio
Airstream search

Do not despair. Our search was similar to yours.
We bid on several on eBay, only to have them go to higher bidder. We found one on that was for sale. My husband and my son were in the car at 10:00 pm to make the 250 mile journey to see, and probably purchase, and the phone rang, telling us another had purchased before we could get there. This is known as "the one that got away"
We found one on Craig's list, drove 400 miles to see it and fell in love. It is a 1980 Excella II, center bath, with rear double bed. We brought her home, only to have her broken into 2 weeks after parking in storage lot. Due to hectic work schedules we have not been camping yet, but live in hopes of someday we will be real campers!!!!

Thanks and GOD Bless!!
Mike and Sheila

2012........The year of the Airstream!!
msterry is offline   Reply With Quote