Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
Hi, and suggestions welcome

Hello,

I have been a lurker for a while and decided that even though I do not yet have an Airstream I might as well register and ask some newbie style questions.

We are a family of 5 who have enjoyed camping for years in a '66 VW Westfalia... As you can tell family of 5 and VW do not go well together So, we are looking for something a little bigger and cushier for the famliy to recreate in.

First step is to sell the VW, I imagine it will fetch about $10K. In that case I will have that to invest in an Airstream... Granted I would like to keep a few grand for inevitatable repairs.

My wife and I have very full schedules with our businesses so I would rather have a nice trailer straight away and not have to remodel the whole thing before we can enjoy it. My wife runs an "in-home" business with Slumber Parties. I run a remodeling business out of Northern VA. So schedules are tight most of the time.

Now for the fun part! Floor Plans!

What would you all recommend for a livable floor plan for a family of 5? I would really prefer the rear full bed, but they seem rarish until the 80s. Even the early trailers with the double in the middle seem hard to find. Granted the earlier the year the better IMO... We just like vintage stuff... Plus some of the 80s decorating (fabrics) is horrible.

It seems that the "true" vintage airstreams are pre-1968, but I am not sure any of the layout are good for a large family.

FWIW I have no problems with tow vehicles so we were leaning toward some of the larger models 30-34'. I really like some of the older anniversary models.

Thank you!!!
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

What you're looking for is out there. You should be checking Ebay and the classifieds here on the Forums every day.

Good luck in your search forn the perfedt Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome in, Luckily for you the long ones are very affordable on the used market. I'd imagine if your running a construction business you have the TV covered.

Good luck.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
I own a 22' Safari. That would work for a small family that has four members...being it has two double beds. Now about the dog?

There is new interest in larger vintage trailers that have mostly been overlooked because of the bambi craze of past. Look at the models named Ambassadors, Sovereigns, Overlanders, and tradewinds. The older the model usually means lighter but also requires more work to get back on the road.

I think Rob's blog also has a link to "the Ambassador recovery" and also check out Vintage Airstream Home and go to the archive section to compare models.
These trailer are relatively light and many have not seen the hard use as some of the smaller trailers. You budget could be right in line to pick one up and restore it to it's former grandeur.

ttp://sweetsovereign.blogspot.com/
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Welcome and happy hunting for your airstream!
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
The bigger the trailer, the better the value in most cases, so the 31'-34' range might be the best place to look. The 31' is roomy for the two of us plus two dogs, but many we've talked to swear by the 34' for the extra room and outstanding towing stability if you have the truck to pull it and the tolerance for the additional tire and axle maintenance expense.

If you're willing to "fluff" up an 80s interior, I think the 80s' 34-foot Limiteds can be a great value for the money if they've been well-maintained.

Best of luck with your search!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi pillow and welcome to the forums!

now that u r registered one of the best features will be available to you, for FREE!

that's the search function.

there are loads of threads on "which model" "which floor plan" "which era" and so on...

also creative stuff on bunk beds and many threads with pictures and so on...

you've not given us a lot of info but for 10k and 5 people and wanting to go camping, not do a restoration....

a mid/late 70s 29/31 footer is the way to go, IF you can find a solid, unmolested one.

while u may want a nice rear bed room just for mom/pop...

the rear sleeping areas (twin bed models) are ideal for tucking the kids...

then the adults can stay up late, use the galley and toilet, with a nice sofa/bed.

80s units would also fit this ticket but they will cost more.

again there is a TON of stuff already posted to read and absorb...

BUT none of that is a substitute for SEEING units.

go to a rally, visit a dealer, stop and look at EVERY stream u can find.

while u may not have, or wanna invest much time in repairing a unit....

finding the ideal one will take time and effort, but happy camping is a worthy return on your investment!

cheers
2air'

and about that old vdub....POST US SOME PICTURES!

1 of us may just wanna buy it...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Certifiable

. , .
'66 Westy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
...go to a rally, visit a dealer, stop and look at EVERY stream u can find.

and about that old vdub....POST US SOME PICTURES!

1 of us may just wanna buy it...
Lots of older tin will be at the Shenandoah Valley KOA June 19-23 for the East Coast Vintage Rally. Jump in the bus and come on over for a magical mystery tour or 2.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We have a 1986 31' Sovereign, mid bath rear twins. It could easily be set up to sleep a family of five. We paid $9.5k for it.

Everything worked fine although there were some dings, dents and the clearcoat was pretty bad After three years, we have fixed almost all of the appearance issues and replaced the a/c and water heater (both died of old age)

Bottom line is that a 31' or 34' is probably out there and perfectly functional in or near your price point. As a home remodeler, you have the skills to do almost anything cosmetic. As for running gear -- the sweet part about trailer ownership is that if you take care of the moving parts (tires/wheels/brakes) and the towing gear (weight distributing hitch/anti-sway), you are fully operational even if the water heater is cranky.....

Take your time shopping. Your Airstream is out there.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
Lots of older tin will be at the Shenandoah Valley KOA June 19-23 for the East Coast Vintage Rally. Jump in the bus and come on over for a magical mystery tour or 2.
is this close?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailers 003.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	56029  
Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome to the forums

I really like the layout of my 1983 34’ Excella. The dinette is great for paperwork as well as dining and the rear bedroom has privacy. I have a full size bed mounted “side saddle.” I have some pictures at: http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...d=17830&page=2

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
is this close?
oh man, that is one sweet wagon!

is that gonna be at the rally somewhere soon?

don't bogart that 'dub my friend, pass it over to me!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
Thanks for the great feedback and the warm welcome!

Vaughn, your 34' Excalla (sp) is excellent! I really like the separate dinnette. Nice comfy chair as well! Aren't those the best, they look simple but are very relaxing.

Good point 2air', if the kiddies are in the back then no worries for mom and dad crawling into bed later. Luckily our kids sleep pretty hard anyways... Sometimes we go camping with kids that just cannot seem to fall asleep outside thier own bedroom, which gets old a few nights into the camp.

There are a few good looking Airstream events coming up this spring/summer in DC/VA so I am excited to go check them out and get some ideas. The KOA sounds very nice for the Vintage Rally! We normally go out to the Jellystone at Natural Bridge VA which is beautiful country as well.

As for maintenance the axles should not be that big of a hassle, I am guessing keeping it greased up?

Probably work wise to the Airstream: nice foam matresses, Pergo floor if needed, fabric items as needed. Other than that I am all about keeping it stock. MAYBE a wall mount LCD TV, but normally we camp to get away from life - really we barely watch TV at home anyway so no biggie.

Pics to follow!

Thanks,
Others: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion, 1983 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (FSJ) with 5.3 LS and SM465 conversion, 1979 Porsche 911SC
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
The motor... Might not be that exciting to normal people, but getting 100HP into a VW is hard work. It is a 2007cc Type 1 motor bored and stroked. The injection system is Bosch K-Jetronic (CIS) and is a very reliable system which delivers great torque at lower RPM.

The drivetrain is mostly Porsche 944 parts at this time mated with a Super Beetle transmission for better highway cruising speeds.

What it all means is that it will hang out on the interstates at 75MPH without breaking a sweat

Usually the best and longest trip it gets each year is to Tampa for a vintage bus show in November.

At the moment I do not have any great photos on the web to grab from so this is one from a couple years ago.

Others: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion, 1983 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (FSJ) with 5.3 LS and SM465 conversion, 1979 Porsche 911SC
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
_

. , .
yeah baby! another nice wagon...

hey maybe you should be looking at classic motorhomes...

the zambonis' (with 2 kiddos) have a 79 and tow their vdub behind it...

check out posts 33-38 here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...cap-23413.html

could be time 4 a greatful dead-stream gathering...

rIde on!

2air'

Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
another variation on the theme

spotted at Salem, OR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	other airstreams 001.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	56037  
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
spotted at Salem, OR
actually i camped facing that gal and at the time a recent widower ?

very sad story and example of 'wb' nonsense....

she drove ACROSS the nation, and was parked on the tarmack (with the big wigs) but had a tiny dog...

i forget what breed but tea cup sized.

anyway, someone left a nasty anonymous note on her moho door to LEAVE the rally because her dog wasn't allowed in THAT section...

crying, she was gonna leave, but we made a space for her in OUR already full dog section.

i think her hubby had been a past pres at one point...so this was her first international alone?

she had a very cool bug, i had one of those egg blue superbugs (a 71) brand new, back in the day, i think that's a 73 or 74?

cheers
2air'

Old 03-12-2008, 05:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
crying, she was gonna leave, but we made a space for her in OUR already full dog section.

i think her hubby had been a past pres at one point...so this was her first international alone?
2air

That's not a nice story. I wanted to talk to her about her great little combo but she shot me kind a dirty look. Did not look very happy. Sounds like (some) of old guard need to take a Starbucks style timeout and rehash customer service again.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
Very cool setup with a Bus to tow behind

... Right now I am so sick of things with motors I could scream. The '71 Chevy C-10 just got out of the shop for a new driveshaft and brake work. The '96 Sierra needs its Injection Pump and Injectors replaced this weekend... Too much grease for one person to handle.

I have had MANY VW busses over the years, I think it is time for a change. I have just always kept this 66 Westi for some reason although it has been the one that needed the most work. Over the years I have had a '71 Westi, '69 Standard, '74 Westi, '76 Westi, '66 Sundial, and the '66 Westi. Not to mention a couple Beetles... I still have a '57 Oval Beetle and '79 Porsche 911 SC to keep my air cooled addiction in check.

As a kid I grew up camping with my grandparents and they started out with a travel trailer and I just kind of liked it. Later they purchased a Banner motorhome and then a Southwind motorhome when they full timed it for a while... I still liked the travel trailer for livability.

Thanks!,
Old 03-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
_

. , .
that was my progression also pillow...

vw bug to bus to a/s moho to a/s trailer...

i do like parking the house and NOT having a drivetrain under it.

good luck finding your trailer, she's out there somewhere...

and with so many folks hot on the little twinks, the 30, 31, n 34s are value priced.

cheers
2air'