Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
2air' I could not agree more!

...Even my wife is fully behind the purchase of an AS. Not sure why, but I figure the less questions at this point the better Just go with it.

Thanks!
Others: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion, 1983 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (FSJ) with 5.3 LS and SM465 conversion, 1979 Porsche 911SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #22
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Pillow;
Thanks for the memories! I drove a bus around the country in the mid70's. Even entered a motor R&R contest in So.Cal. As I had a section of aluminum sailboat spar for a rear bumper that was easily removed I was able to completely remove the motor and reinstall it in as I recall about 12 minutes.When I slid the motor back and it left the alignment pins, well it dropped on my chest, then I had to wiggle out from under the bus with the motor on my chest and wiggle back under(rules of contest). Then I was able to sort of bench press the motor back in with the help of arching my back and a little hip movement.lol geez the beauty of youth.Had a big divot in my sternum where the drain plug made contact with me. more lol.
Anyway I have a 86-32foot excella, It's great.With your sleeping needs I'ld definately look for something with a dinnette that could serve as a bed for the young ones.
Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search for your airstream, and thanks again for the memories.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Wow, a 66 bus. That was our first camping vehicle although it wasn't the camper like yours. We took the middle seat out for sleeping on the floor and filled the back end of it up with our camping stuff.

Those old busses had issues of hot starting due to the 6 volt battery and fact that the voltage had to run from the rear engine to the front ignition and then back to the starter. Until we got a relay to remove that distance, it wasn't unusual to see Patty or I pushing the bus while the other one popped the clutch in gear to get the engine running.

We foolishly drove that bus to the top of Pikes Peak and barely got to the top. The last few miles we had to drive in first gear and I got pulled over by the police on a switchback to allow all the cars behind me pass.

We also experienced broken clutch cables and accelerator cables. We once camped in the Land Between the Lakes area in Kentucky. The accelerator cable broke and luckily I had a roll of wire in the bus. I sat Patty in the back seat and opened up the back tailgate and motor compartment lid. I tied the wire to the throttle arm on the carburetor and Patty pulled on the wire to give me gas. She had to back off for me to shift gears to keep from overreving the engine as I pushed in the clutch. I then had to rent a car to obtain a new cable. From that point on I always carried a spare of each cable.

Oh the memories....

I sold the bus to some young kid at night. It was so rusted that I had holes in the floor. I bought a used 1970 bus that was like night and day from the 66. 12 volts, no more swing axle suspension and more horse power. I kept that until the transmission failed. I was driving without a reverse or second gear. What a hoot!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Thrill seeker?

Having owned a 67 Westfalia for the last twenty five years, what I strove for was not downshifting on hills. I have never driven 75 in my bus(maybe a few times, not for long) I built a 2180 dual port that was too much (wheel hop on fast acceleration). Finally built an 1835, SINGLE port, dual webers that is bullit proof. Really fun bus and a real head turner.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray5
I have never driven 75 in my bus(maybe a few times, not for long)
The only way my '66 could have done 75 was downhill with a strong tail wind. When you hit 65 it just stopped accelerating. Almost like there was a governor on the motor.

As a matter of fact driving that bus across Kansas on I 70 with a 30 mph crosswind out of the south was a feat in itself. You hung on to that big white steering wheel for dear life every time you came out from the protection of an overpass.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote