Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
well I am glad you learned from the advice from the forum.. You'll find another, just take your time and check them out ...

bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:10 AM   #16
Currently Looking...
Vista , California
Another Lover of Airstreams in North County Joins the Search:

Hi Mini,
My Name is Elizabeth, and I live in Vista. I just started on my quest for an Airstream and I found this site to be helpful, too. I talked to a man in Carlsbad who has two vintage (1950s) Airstreams for sale, and I am trying to hook up with him to see them. I am not sure how much restoration work that I want to do, but I too like the old ones. Hope that you can keep me posted on your quest. I never "chat" with people, other than on myspace - Photosbyelizabeth/, but let's try and keep in touch.
P.S. I think I will rent What's Eating G. Grape.

Originally Posted by Mini Turtle
I have loved AirStreams for as long as I can remember. I have wanted an old one for my husband and I to restore for years but we've never had money or the one we loved was half way across the country (and we don't have a vehicle to tow it).

So the other day, as I was driving home, I spotted her ('cause if you love 'em they do kind of jump out at ya!). At first there was excitement, then there was the thought that it was too bad they painted her beige. But she stayed in my mind. So then my husband and I looked at her and he said stripping the paint wouldn't be a biq deal (he used to do some auto body and has a lot of experience with aluminum), which was a relief. So now I'm excited again. We looked in the windows, even though it was dark out, and everything looks vintage and in decent enough shape to be salvaged. So I've got the phone number and I'm going to call and see if we can look at it tomorrow. Before I do, I want to be armed with some knowledge and I figured all of you folks would be the perfect people to turn to.

Here's the dirt: the sign on her says "1974, 28 foot Argosy". There are no dents, she's been painted, inside looks okay but not updated, there is a rear bathroom. The asking price is $3750. So far, that's all I know.

If any of you have advice, suggestions, anything, please let me know as soon as you can--I would greatly appreciate it!

Whew! Now that my little manic part of the posting is over, I'd like to introduce myself a little better (I should have started there, but I think I've had too much coffee and all of a sudden I started to panic that someone would buy that trailer before I could!). I live in North San Diego County, I'm 38 years old and married. I owned a coffee house here for seven years, which I just sold September first. Most of the money from the sale went to paying off business debt but nothing would make me happier than spending a little bit of it on an old AirStream. I now have spare time that could be used on restoring it. I have a background in art, as does my husband (he is a sculptor) so I would love to get my hands on the interior! My husband has partially restored his late father's 1968 Volvo and he has so much patience when it comes to that--it would make me crazy! If he doesn't already know how to do something, he will research it until he does. He does a lot better than I do with trial and error. He makes his living as an emergency room nurse. I don't know what I am going to do now, maybe go back to school.

Like I said, I have loved AirStream trailers forever. I can't figure out what it is about them, but Im hooked. Periodically I will check out the classifieds and torture myself, but that is about as close as I've ever gotten. That and I watch "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" so I can see the caravan of AirStreams come up the road. When one of the group breaks down and has to camp out, I love every scene that shows the trailer.

Thanks for reading, and please let me know if you have any advice

Eliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Escondido , California
Wow--Vista! So close. I'm glad to hear there are some locals with or wanting AirStreams.

This one I looked at yesterday was the first local one I've seen. Yikes--it was thrashed. If you don't end up interested in the ones in Carlsbad, let me know. I would at least like to look at some of them locally. I have always expected to have to travel to get what I wanted but since I don't have a tow vehicle yet and it would be really nice to find something local, I keep my fingers crossed.

The people on this site have a wealth of knowledge to share and I've already learned so much. It is easy to let the day slip away while reading everything!

I love "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". It has been out for a long time (10+ years?) but was a sleeper. I think I identify with that longing for escape that this girl, her grandmother, and their AirStream represent. Not that I want to escape, but I do have wanderlust that I inherited from my grandmother (I frequently have to call my aunt and ask "where is my grandmother?"). Besides, Gilbert Grape is played by Johnny Depp, and that is never a bad thing in my book!
Mini Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
How far are you willing to drive to get an Argosy? Of course you would need a tow vehicle, but you'll need that anyway.

juel is offline   Reply With Quote