Old 03-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
Hi All- another newbie

Hello everyone. My husband and I know nothing about self contained campers. We are both retired and not wanting to spend a lot of money, we bought this camper on a whem. To us it looked pretty good on the outside and we thought with a bit of remodeling on the inside we would be good to go. Boy have we found out differently. Absolutely nothing works on the inside, converter gone, someone has attempted to sorta rewire it for an a/c. Floor rotted in the bath. ABS cracked. A real mess, but for $1,500 and it a 69 International Land Yacht, Overlander, we still thought we could follow our dreams. Little did we know that the blackwater tank had a hole in it and no hot water heater, the copper water line would need fixing. A mess I must say. By the way we named her Grace, as we always name our dogs, cats, vechicles and so on human names. Then after extensive repairs, we heard about a young woman that had lost her husband to cancer, her home was being reposessed, she had no job (bad economy) no family of her own to help her rebuild her life, So we are now in the process of rebuilding Grace for her to have a home. I have ordered a manuel, but time is running out, so I am hoping you folks can offer us the information we need to complete this project.

G. Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Hello and Welcome to the Forums. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here from people that have done the repairs themselves. Search the threads and you can find an answer to almost any question you may have. Good luck and don't become discouraged. There are helpful people to guide you here. There is a rally coming up soon in Hiawassee, GA. Even if you are unable to bring your trailer, you can attend the open house and speak to many people that have restored and repaired their trailers. We all like to "talk" about our Airstream trailers.
The rally is April 8-11, 2010 at The Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds in Hiawassee, GA.
Again, Welcome to the FORUM.

Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You have found the right place for all of the Airstream information that you will need.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Welcome G. Traveler. I'm sure the Forum will be helpful in your noble endeavor.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Welcome G. Trav,

We'd be glad to help answer questions that will arise as you work your way through this venture.

Best of luck,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi there, welcome to the forums, and it sounds like you are doing a very nice and noble thing for someone in need.

It sounds like your trailer is in need of a "Major Renovation" and for people who are about to embark on that journey, I always recommend reading the "Major Renovation" threads, which you can find at this link:

There are quite a few Major Renovation threads, and some of them are quite lengthy, but the amount of knowledge contained within them is vast. You can find out pretty much anything you need to know about even the most arduous tasks (like subfloor replacement and frame replacement) in those threads. They are also full of design ideas and inspiration. Pretty much anything you can imagine can be done to these trailers, and people are doing it every day.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
That is awesome of you. Maybe the Grace of God is the reason you got that trailer. Hope it all works out well. There is a encyclopedia of information on here. Good Luck and God Bless. If you need help with anything you can ask here.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote