Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Hi Airstreamers!

Just about retired from 40 years as a CPA, and just bought an Airstream. Haven't even taken delivery of it yet.

My wife is an outdoor writer, and spends most of the summer up in the mountains. I usually join her for 3-4 weeks, but that's enough backpacking for me. In the past, I've spent a lot of summer evenings home alone, and frankly, have enjoyed the time to myself and my dog. Having some time to ourselves is one of the things that has made our marriage a success, I think. However, I also spent my days working, so I never felt at loose ends.

Now that I'm not going to spend that much time in my office anymore, I would like to travel around the countryside with my dog. In fact, one of my reasons for getting a trailer is to be able to travel with my dog without the hassles of finding dog friendly accommodations, etc. Another reason is that by the time winter comes, my wife has had enough of cooking outdoors, and while she would still like to travel, she hates motels and doesn't want to cook outside at a campground in the rain (although we could certainly use some more of that in California right now!).

So while I've never pulled a travel trailer in my life, I'm hoping an old dog can learn some new tricks, and I'm looking forward to this next phase of my life.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Welcome McDave, enjoy retirement and enjoy that new Airstream!!

TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Welcome fellow Californian! Enjoy your new 23 FC.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Welcome to the forum and Congratulations! This forum is a wealth of information and you will quickly learn how to filter and get what you need.

Don’t be surprised if you cook outside more than you anticipated. We do so to avoid the mess inside and the odors that it creates. A small table and hot plate under the awning is a fantastic tool. I am betting you’ll consider a charcoal grill as well. I am now in the process of rigging up a larger propane burner to carry for larger cooks to feed a crowd.

Learning to tow is likely easier than you think. Trick is having a good TV and hitch set up properly. Take that new Twinkie to the parking lot on a Sunday to practice backing up. There are lots of tips here and on the web.

Have a big time with it since that is what it is all about.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Sacramento , California
Greetings McDave,
Congrats on your new AS! Nice to see another Sac area streamer join the group. Love to see some photos!
We have been happy so far with Allied RV and plan to get our weight distribution hitch put on our TV shortly. Do you have a trailer repair source yet?
Happy travels!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Hi Bella,

I think Allied RV must be the trailer place I noticed next to the Leer place where I got my shell for my Tundra. I probably won't be needing it right away, as things will be covered by the warranty for a couple of years.

BTW, I was really impressed with the Leer place. Shortly after buying the Leer shell, I forgot that I had left the back hatch up in my garage and backed out. Uh oh, another expensive crunching sound as the garage door bent it back like a pretzel. I threw myself on the mercy of the Leer place and they had it repaired like new in less than 4 hours, for a lot less $$ than I had imagined.

The Airstream place in Fairfield is keeping my AS for a couple of weeks while I have a pad made for it in my backyard, but when I get it, I'll post some pictures.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Here it is!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great looking Airstream, Congratulations! May you have many wonderful Airstream adventures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Welcome aboard!

I think think you and the wife and your little pal will enjoy the comforts of home wherever you travel. We sure do.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Here it is!
Now you see - THAT is what life is all about!!!!

Enjoy!!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Hi McDave and welcome. I agree with previous posters, take the trailer to a big parking lot and try backing into the spaces. I've towed a number of boat and utility trailers. Something that has always worked for me is to look over my right shoulder as I back up. You can still see the right side mirror and make adjustments.

Some put their right hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Try different things but when you find something, be consistent. Do it the same way each time and go slowly. Don't forget to watch your overhead. You don't want to dent that nice shiny top on a gas station canopy :-)

Hope to see you on the road somewhere.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Woooohoooooo!!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Good luck in your adventures!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Congratulations on your retirement, I also recently pulled the pin after over 40 years in the workforce. It is without doubt a new chapter in life but so far I am enjoying the change. Pulling and backing your Airstream should be no problem as you get used to it. As suggested, find a big empty parking lot and get plenty of practice before you actually get on the road. Remember you have a much longer turn radius, you may tend to bottom out on the hitch when pulling into driveways. Plan ahead, if at all possible don't pull into places that you will have to back out of. Also remember your response time is much greater when stopping, starting, changing lanes, etc. Good luck and happy traveling!