Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Pataskala , OH
Hey All! Ohio here... In the market for AS.

Not a born/raised buckeye. Transplant. Truth is, I miss the West, The Mountains very much! This was realized after moving to midwest after HS in NoCal. (way North of Sac...)

Ohio is great for raising a family, and this is the focus for now. But one has to plan for empty nest! And even seize all opportunities to travel prior. My wife, two daughters and I travel West about twice a year--usually to end up in the backcountry, backpacking. We love it! But we don't love the airfare, rental car, hotel expense (inconvenience?--guess this depends...) to make these trips happen. Solution is a camper.

So, here I am, reading... Researching... I've been drawn to AS's for a couple years, but I've really got the bug after stopping in the Columbus Ohio Airstream dealer (name left out intentionally). My wife and I checked out several models. Not that we're decided, but we like the Cloud 23, but love the Cloud 25. Of course, we debate bed in front or back... whether it's necessary to have walking space around the bed... ease of towing (Tundra 5.7). It's overwhelming. And it (new or used) would be a high $ investment for us. I know we're not alone.

I'm 6'4". But I backpack! I'm hoping this equates to "I don't really fit in a lot of places, but I can make myself." And... I know how to travel light. And I'm definitely aware of the price/durability/lightweight triangle (this seems to apply to AS's). One thing I'm wondering how to fit is telecommuting--this is a concern. Necessity will help invent. No, no telecommute in backcountry.

So. Early going--just putting a plan together. I am always appreciative to these forums (administrators that make them happen), the folks that participate in discussions--sharing ideas, experiences, and opinions (yes, really!). I'll most likely be lurking for awhile as I'm kinda slow, but expect I'll be studied up in the next year, gain some experience, and will be in a better position to give back at some point!

Looking forward to talking to y'all! Take care.
Fredonyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Well it certainly sounds like you’re on the right track. Since you’ve been lurking lol I’m sure you have read that it’s usually a better plan to skip the smaller units and go for the larger of the two. It doesn’t take long for 4 adults to take up every square inch of space. Telecommuting is possible for sure but it does depend on where you might be. No cell signal at all is difficult to overcome but with the right equipment it’s achievable. You might find that the twin bed version works better for you because of your height. The twin beds are longer than the queen (I think) and they usually have more storage space.
Keep going back to the dealers and sit in every one that they have. Only you know what will work best for you and your family.
If you are looking at a used one I suggest you take advantage of using a knowledgeable Airstream inspector. It could save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
Good luck and happy hunting.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have had both a 23FB and two 25FBs. We have over 2,000 nights in our Airstreams over fourteen years. We have loved every minute of it. It has been the time of our lives. We just got back from a three month Alaska trip.

You are on the right track. Best wishes.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Psst. Look at the 26, especially the bathroom. As for telecommuting, there are enough tech devices and programs for reaching the Internet, I am sure there is one for you. The one I have from Unlimitedville has never failed me all across the country in getting a strong signal.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Welcome to the Forums! My wife and I grew up in Columbus, moved to Texas and came back to raise our family. We have loved camping and backpacking all over the country, especially in the Rockies and Pacific NW. Now that we are retiring next year, we look forward to relaxing with the Airstream on the road or in our little patch of the Hocking Hills.

You have some advantages based in Pataskala. The Columbus dealer you mention maintains a good inventory to peruse while you are deciding your AS of the future, and they have a good garage/shop on the premises. And not to be undervalued is the 90 minute proximity to the AS plant (or "Mothership" as many on the Forums affectionately call it). Folks drive their AS for days to get warranty or custom work done there. If you haven't been there yet for a free tour of the plant (daily @ 2 pm), you should make it a day trip! The lobby and tour is a good place to network with AS owners and researchers like yourself. You'll get firsthand info on their experiences.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Mantua , Ohio
Hello, fellow buckeye! Since you asked for opinions, I figured I'd offer up a few of my own! Our family also traveled down to an AS dealer in columbus. We toured lots of rigs. We were mostly looking for inspiration to complete our renovation and that's what we got. I really like the globetrotter models the best. They seem to offer the closest layout to what we've designed for our airstream. Most airstreams don't feel like they've been laid out for a family of 5 and a bouncy golden retriever.

Anyhow, you're also a fellow tundra owner?! Uncanny! We've had ours for almost three years now and we've towed with it the whole time (not the airstream too much, but our other travel trailer). It really does a great job IMO. There are just a couple things we've changed for towing, but don't listen to my advice on that kind of stuff because I do what I like, and not what's popular. We are going to install the Timbren, rubber helper springs for ride quality. It's a lot cheaper than the airbag systems and works absolutely fantastic.

We are still planning the maiden of our airstream. We talked about a trip down to southern ohio for thanksgiving with family... but I don't think the rig will be far enough along. Anyhow, cheers!
knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Welcome!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote