Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
He said, As he stood in the doorway, His knees buckling from the Earthquake tremors!
Once every ten - twenty years, VS 10 - 20 times a year.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Weaverville , North Carolina
Wow! So much useful information!

I've already got my homebase decided upon. Here's the entire story: My husband Eric and I are each going to buy a trailer. We are going to park the trailers in a local inexpensive campground, since we want to keep roots in Western North Carolina. We also have a daughter who will be almost three when we are projecting to make the move. (Hence the two trailers. Well, that and the fact that Eric's gonna need practically a whole trailer for his mobile recording setup.) We will have one tow vehicle between us, and probably spend 6 or so months out of the year travelling, doing one month on, one month off or something like that. When we travel, we will only take one trailer to save on gas etc.

Internet Connectivity is pretty much settled. My laptop has a wireless card in it, so if I'm near a coffee shop in most parts of the country, I should be able to get online. Also understand many campgrounds have wifi.

OMG thanks for the crazedlist tip! I didn't even know that existed! It's my new obsession site. You know, the one that you go to every 15 minutes while you're surfing the web...

I've looked at all the classifieds here and at the VAC site, and been searching ebay. I'm thinking I'll want about 24'-28', and the same size for my husband. Just want to be sure that they both have sleeping compartments that are seperate from the rest of the living space. Any tips on what model to look at that would be most likely to meet those requirements?

Okay, I think I answered all the questions.

XO,
Starr

Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Star and Eric, Welcome to the FORUMS. The transition to AS living can be rather simple when you have done your homework. Take your time, search the threads and classifieds, and if you need help in evaluating a trailer, ask a friend or fellow AS forums member to assist in looking a unit over.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by starr
Wow! So much useful information!

I've already got my homebase decided upon. Here's the entire story: My husband Eric and I are each going to buy a trailer. We are going to park the trailers in a local inexpensive campground, since we want to keep roots in Western North Carolina. We also have a daughter who will be almost three when we are projecting to make the move. (Hence the two trailers. Well, that and the fact that Eric's gonna need practically a whole trailer for his mobile recording setup.) We will have one tow vehicle between us, and probably spend 6 or so months out of the year travelling, doing one month on, one month off or something like that. When we travel, we will only take one trailer to save on gas etc.

Internet Connectivity is pretty much settled. My laptop has a wireless card in it, so if I'm near a coffee shop in most parts of the country, I should be able to get online. Also understand many campgrounds have wifi.

OMG thanks for the crazedlist tip! I didn't even know that existed! It's my new obsession site. You know, the one that you go to every 15 minutes while you're surfing the web...

I've looked at all the classifieds here and at the VAC site, and been searching ebay. I'm thinking I'll want about 24'-28', and the same size for my husband. Just want to be sure that they both have sleeping compartments that are seperate from the rest of the living space. Any tips on what model to look at that would be most likely to meet those requirements?

Okay, I think I answered all the questions.

XO,
Starr
I believe the RJ Dial site with price vs. condition also may contain historical data regarding different layouts for each year. I KNOW one exists cuz I've seen it...somewhere. The separate sleeping compartments may be hard to find in smaller vintage units. Simple laws of physics. You can always rig curtains or something. We have an 8 yr old daughter and well... ummm... let's just say that when camping you may have to get creative (extremely quiet?) regarding your notions of ummm...conjugal bliss...wait, I'm not going there... that is simply something each 'married with children' couple must figure out for themselves! The old maxim 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' has never rung truer. And that's all I'm gonna say about it ;-)

re:crazed list. sounds like you've already figured how to retool Firefox to make it work (just change one parameter. it works) but BEWARE THE SCAMMERS. craig's is just ripe with crooks, but still amazing when you find honest sellers. I'm so glad to NOT be there every 15 minutes since I found a trailer. it was taking up too much of my time...

re: recording I have a friend in The Iguanas who has a lovely 27' International and has recording some truly beautiful stuff in his trailer. The acoustics can be so perfect when they're tweaked for it. Your hubby can have his own version of the Rolling Stones "remote unit" for recording around the country... or the world... hey, if Pete Townshend can do it (see the current issue of Airstream Life magazine) anybody can!

Given the astronomical housing costs that still exist I think buying an Airstream or two is a great strategy for owning your own 'home'.

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote