Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni
...what flavors do you like? My specialty is liquored centers (like piña colada or mint julep), ....
YES those!

booze and chocolate? you would be VERY popular at area 33...

where many folks have experience with liquored centers...

check out the video linked in the first post of THIS thread on the cocoa bean...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...sts-39649.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Should I put this on the inspector thread?

Okay, I've emailed the guy about that Excella, and so far, so good. The TV situation sounds good too, although I want to check the manuals to make sure.

If the seller can do it this weekend, I would greatly appreciate a volunteer inspection of this trailer, which is in Oregon. Emailing pix is fine, and in addition to normal compensation, I'll send along a batch of homemade cookies, too.

Is anyone in the OR SoWA area willing to do an inspection this weekend? (Should I put this request in the inspector thread for better visibility?)
Sunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
The Explorer you mentioned might not be up to holding back a 32' Excella. But don't hesitate on studying up that one, appears to be a fair price. More homework for ya: Get to studying brakes and umbilicals and hitches and brake controllers.
Tell us what kind of brakes and their condition, what hitch, stabilisers, tires it has. (We don't care but for you to know your self)
(And I wouldn't trust your Truffles getting out of those guys' refrigs alive)
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #24
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
I misspoke

Thanks, NevadaGeo! I misspoke about the TV; he has a Ford Expedition with the "heavy duty tow package". Last night I found a thread here that delved into the mysteries of that tow package, and once I finish my lunch I aim to check into that more.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
(Ooops, I mispoke too, I meant Sway control on the hitch, not stabilizers)
Expediton should do the job.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Sunni, You really need to look at the trailer yourself. However, if you still need some help, I'd be glad to go with you. I know where the trailer is and have met the owner. I'm very near I-5 just north of Vancouver. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
"Help the new girl find a good Airstream fit"

It'd be easier to help a good girl find a new Airstream, but either way you've come to the right place. Good luck and welcome!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Sunni, You really need to look at the trailer yourself. However, if you still need some help, I'd be glad to go with you. I know where the trailer is and have met the owner. I'm very near I-5 just north of Vancouver. Darol
I understand that I'll need to do that before I make an offer on it (if that's what I decide to do). But it's a four-hour drive, one way, just for me to get to Vancouver WA ... and that's a lot of gas and time. I'd prefer to make that trip only once, if possible ... and additionally, being new to the Airstream scene, it just seemed smart to ask someone closer and more experienced for a first look-over.

Is that unrealistic? The owner isn't able to show the trailer this weekend, so there's time for me to see the error of my thinking here.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Might also look at SILVER STREAK trailers. There always seem to be a few in the NW. Is built on a heavy frame, and almost always needs less work (far less work in many cases) than an Airstream. More storage space and better materials, fit and finish. Bigger bath. Easy to access systems and to service. Company out of business in 1996, but an active mailing list for owners.

I've included a link to one (a quite high price this past few years; usually half or less than this) in Puyallup. I see no obvious problems, it is almost a ringer for mine. Glad to answer any questions if you expand your search.

Listing Photos

Here is a more representative example:
1975 Silver Streak Travel Trailer (Like Airstream )-31'

Click on the link on my signature for a great website with plenty of basic info.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
This is an airstream forum, however, i am glad that i am, now, aware of these other TT's that are imitations with this "silver streak" logo...I would never had known... stick to a true AS. thanks to this forum.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy1
This is an airstream forum, however, i am glad that i am, now, aware of these other TT's that are imitations with this "silver streak" logo...I would never had known... stick to a true AS. thanks to this forum.
In the same way that a Mac is an imitation PC, or that a Chevy is an imitation Ford?

Airstream is fine, it has the numbers on it's side as the only survivor of all-aluminum trailers. It's roadability is, was, the best. In other ways, not so much. I stuck my neck out on this as you have indicated: low repair skill, limited budget, no tow vehicle and are wondering if it, the idea, would be workable. Other trailers than just Airstream may better fit your budget, skill (less work) and need for work/storage space.

On the other hand, having restored a car or two I fully understand the desire for "the one"!!

No question, however, that this forum is outstanding. Owners of other trailer brands (Vintage Kin) benefit, and it can be a two way street. For what it's worth, I have seen both Airstreams and Silver Streaks turned into commercial kitchens. Guess which one needed less work and cost less overall?

To posit that all other trailers of similar type are "imitation" Airstreams would be to be mistaken. Avions, for example, are built like tanks: SILVERAVION :: Index Test The floor is several inches thick on top of a heavy frame.

There would be no end of interest, on this site, in your plans and experiences. That is an advantage hard to best.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #32
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Still around, and still looking ...

Boy, did you guys peg me! I've been so busy since moving that I'm still sleeping on the floor and living out of my suitcase.

But I have been looking at trailers, and narrowing down what I'd like and what I'm willing to pay. I'm interested in this trailer, and have emailed the owner about it. He says the dent on the top is 20' x 8' (ouch!!) but doesn't leak.

The primary things I'm wondering are: What is a fair price for the unit as is; and what would be a reasonable amount to add to have the dent repaired? I don't think trying to repair it myself would be a good first project for me.

He says in the ad "Healthy discount for cash deal", and that's what I'd offer. Thanks in advance for all help!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Smile Sunni

Hi Sunni,
I haven’t read the whole thread yet, but just wanted to take a minute to say hello. We are new to airstreaming as well. Our plans of full timing while I bake/sell organic dog treats and my husband continues his Photography business are still in the works. We get plenty of encouragement AND plenty of “are you nuts?”. Just remember it’s your dream and if you want it - you will make it happen regardless of what anyone else has to say about it.

Anywho, a few other places for kitchen rental… VFW Halls, Legion Halls, Elks Clubs, Zor Shriners, Churches, etc. Also, sometimes you can find small business incubators that have commercial kitchen space to rent as your own. Meaning it’s your space, you have the only key. Good luck and I hope to buy candy from you someday!!!
Newlyweds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #34
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Thanks!

Hi Newlyweds! Congratulations and thank you for the encouragement. I hope you both succeed in reaching your dreams too. We don't have a dog right now, but let me know when you start making your treats; I have several friends who would be interested in them.

(Looking at your profile, do you mean Stoughton, WI? I used to live in that general area ... very pretty part of the country. Hope you haven't been affected by the recent floods and tornadoes!)

For any and all: I just heard from the owner again: the source of the roof dent was a branch falling on the trailer. He says that it's covered by insurance, with a $500 deductible, and he would pass that cost on. That sounds worth it to me.

I'll look at it this weekend (have to make some candies today through Friday). Any thoughts on what a reasonable offer for the trailer might be?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #35
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni View Post
...The primary things I'm wondering are: What is a fair price for the unit as is; and what would be a reasonable amount to add to have the dent repaired?...
looks like a good trailer from the pix, but SEEING it live matters...

pricing used units is all about condition and there is lots to consider...

-shell/frame/glass/trim/surface finish

-axles/hubs/brakes/tires (6 of each gets pricey)

-interior (smells and decor)

-systems (lpgas, plumbing, 12v/110v, sewage)

-applicances (all of the important/expensive ones)

-leaks (in-to or out-from the trailer)

u can get 'some' idea of pricing by looking at the classified or blue book or auction pricing and so on...

often older 34s sell for LESS than 30s or 25s from the same year

if buying it, live with the dent awhile....

professional repair could easily run 3-5,000$ depending on how many segments are involved...

go look at it, take someone who knows about rvs or 'streams and take a bun ch of photos...

then come back here with the info..

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #36
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, Sunni! You have chosen an interesting quest, to say the least! Big life changes in the wind for you by the sounds of it, all the very best luck to you and your family.

My question: did you happen to read any of the threads on living in an A/S through the winter? Now, where I live it is simply 100% out of the question, unless you are used to wearing fur underwear and complete Extreme Weather gear. I don't know anything about how cold it gets in your part of WA in winter, but you ARE fairly far north...

Anyway, there are a few very interesting (and eye-opening) threads on that, just search and thou shalt find.

Airstreams are NOT built for life in the Freezing North, from what I've read. Single pane windows, for one thing. No real insulation in the walls, for another. I don't say all this just to frighten you, rather to let you know that it might be an important issue that you haven't thought of yet, from what I've read in this thread.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Glad you're still on the hunt! Our trailer is a 34' S/S and we love the space. It's a big mother to move around, and there is no end of ways to lose stuff so large is the interior.

Helps to see a good number of trailers for sale by which to compare prices and possible work. So, of course, I'll throw in an S/S in Bellingham:

Rvs on Bellingham Craigslist and other Classified Listings

1983 33' Silver Streak Travel Trailer Ready to Go!

I realize that this trailer may be across the state from you, but, if in the area . . . the price is reasonable, the area across from the sink is ALL storage, and there should be another 6-7' of living area in front of the kitchen pictured for living area.

Yes, I know you don't want anything but A/S. Well, I've come across plenty of ideas from other manufacturers, so I hope you look at ALL available aluminum-tube trailers as they were marketed to the same crowd. Some pics of interiors can go a long way to getting what you want.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Sunni...There's nothing wrong with having a dream existence, but reality has its place, and that's part of actualizing the dream, at least in some form...

The suggestions you've received RE a larger TT...and not too old...and having it inspected by a third party...and not trying to renovate it while you live in it...are good, sensible thoughts.

You've solved the kitchen dilemma with Paula's idea, and you've chucked the composting toilet idea (it has it's draw, but if you are eventually going to travel with the AS, you'll be glad you have a regular RV toilet)...so you are making progress.

Keep researching and considering and thinking creatively but realistically, and you will get there. And chances are the version of the dream you end up with will be even better than the original thoughts!

There is a huge amount of information in this forum and an equally large number of knowledgeable Airstreamers who will honestly do their best to give you information and feedback you need to succeed, even if what they say about some things might not always be what you want to hear.

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck! (Mmmm. Truffles.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #39
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
looks like a good trailer from the pix, but SEEING it live matters...

-axles/hubs/brakes/tires (6 of each gets pricey)
That's one of my biggest concerns.

Quote:
if buying it, live with the dent awhile....

professional repair could easily run 3-5,000$ depending on how many segments are involved...
I asked the owner about it, and he said it's covered under his insurance, so he'd just recoup his deductible, which is $500.

Quote:
go look at it, take someone who knows about rvs or 'streams and take a bunch of photos...

then come back here with the info..

cheers
2air'
Thanks again, 2air'. I'll be looking at it this weekend. I have a little RV experience, but I don't know anyone around here with more.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #40
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
My question: did you happen to read any of the threads on living in an A/S through the winter? .... I don't know anything about how cold it gets in your part of WA in winter, but you ARE fairly far north...
Yes, I've read a lot of those threads. I've been doing a lot of thinking about these issues, because even though it doesn't get really cold and snowy here, there are some cold days and it does snow occasionally. I'll do my best to prepare, have at least one backup plan, and start saving my pennies now for the propane bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
Yes, I know you don't want anything but A/S. Well, I've come across plenty of ideas from other manufacturers, so I hope you look at ALL available aluminum-tube trailers as they were marketed to the same crowd. Some pics of interiors can go a long way to getting what you want.
No offense intended, Red, but how could you possibly know this when I haven't said any such thing? I had a somewhat negative experience in a stick-and-staple motor home several years back which left me fairly leery of that kind of vehicle, and I thought Airstream was the only real alternative. The rounded profile is also very appealing to me, since my towing experience isn't extensive. If Silver Streak is another good alternative, I'm happy to consider those trailers too. Thanks for the links!

And thank you to everyone for the suggestions, questions, cautions, etc. I really do appreciate all the helpful input I've received so far.