Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
_

. , .
ok sunni...

GOOD ANSWERS!

never apologize for being a tightwad...

unless u r from missouri!

having and KNOWING your budget limits is an essential issue that most folks gloss over.

-sticking to your agreed dollar limits or debt obligation is very important as you begin to look at trailers....

-yes the older units are lighter.

but they can also lack significant features too.

holding tanks, applicances, and some basic furnishing are pretty import issues for living in a tube.

-most of the useless/ excessive weight is associated with modern OAK/hickory interiors.

and after 94-95 the long units got WIDER, which adds some weight but the extra room is significant and may be worth the weight.

fuel economy is only slightly related to the weight of a trailer, mostly when going UP hill.

-most fuel issues are related to wind resistance and most long 'streams regardless of weigth are in the 10-14 mpg range while moving.

-extra length is only associated with more sleeping spaces in a few floorplans...

for the most part longer means....

-more closets and interior storage space
-a bigger kitchen area
-a larger bath/shower
-a real bed space that doesn't need to be converted
-a sofa/desk/sitting area that isn't also the bedroom

keep in mind 'more' space is a relative term in a trailer without slides..

because even the widest/longest 'streams are under 250 square feet of area...

so the primary value of longer units for every day use, is not having to CONVERT functions so often.

70s and early 80s units may offer the best combination of space, dollar value and LEAST need for major renovation money...

adding solar can run 2-4,000$ easily and the compost toilets are very expensive too...

the issue with solar (besides the cost) is that batteries to STORE the energy are heavy,

so it's easy to add hundreds of pounds if you wanna have much stored juice...

in addition living in washington state means low panel effectiveness many months each year...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ice-39392.html

good idea to find another space to make food for sale.

now are u shipping those truffles? we LOVE chocolate!

cheers
2air'

and i agree with darol (who is a fantastic judge of aluminum stuff) that' 85 is an ideal year, size and so on....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Sunni, Check the current classifieds on this site. There is an '85 32' two door Excella advertised by a new forums member in NW Oregon. I've met the owner but have not seen his trailer. Judging from his TV and current Airstream, I'd say the '85 probably one of the best you'll find. I'd buy it except that it won't fit in my driveway! It's within your budget, too. Darol
Heh, that one caught my eye already! Will continue to ogle and think ...

And thanks!

Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #17
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
never apologize for being a tightwad...

unless u r from missouri!
I'm not. Thank you for all that info!

Quote:
-extra length is only associated with more sleeping spaces in a few floorplans...

for the most part longer means....

-more closets and interior storage space
-a bigger kitchen area
-a larger bath/shower
-a real bed space that doesn't need to be converted
-a sofa/desk/sitting area that isn't also the bedroom
Okay, thanks for correcting me.

Quote:
70s and early 80s units may offer the best combination of space, dollar value and LEAST need for major renovation money...

adding solar can run 2-4,000$ easily and the compost toilets are very expensive too...
Your links talked me out of the toilet project! Will think about solar some more; it doesn't seem very practical for where I am.

Quote:
now are u shipping those truffles? we LOVE chocolate!
I do ship, but the weather is too warm in most places to ship safely now, and adding gel packs and insulation and overnight shipping makes the packaging more expensive than the candies. (There's that tightwad thing again ... ) That's mostly why it's a seasonal business.

Quote:
and i agree with darol (who is a fantastic judge of aluminum stuff) that' 85 is an ideal year, size and so on....
Okay, I will file that away too.

For all commenting on the "tone" of posts and my response to the first few: it's no big deal to me. I appreciate truth, even blunt truth. I knew better than to expect a bunch of "attagirls" in response to my post.....but neither did I expect some of the bluntness that I got. Having spent most of my pre-joining reading time in other areas, I guess I didn't see much of that so it caught me off guard. So anyway, "no blood no foul" is my rule, and there wasn't even a mark on me.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Sunni,

I have to agree that you want a large Airstream. I bought my 34’ 1983 Excella a little over a year ago and everything inside was perfect. Photos at http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...d=17830&page=2. I have replaced the AC, however, but that could have been done within your budget. The mods I made to the entertainment center area were to accommodate the large screen TV/computer monitor.

Next I plan to remove the carpet and replace with cork flooring. Strictly a personal choice, the carpet is still ok, but I have allergies.

I live in it, so working on the flooring is going to be a project, but it is still doable. I don’t have children, so that makes it a little simpler.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forums.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
_

. , .
come visit us and bring chocolate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni
...I do ship, but the weather is too warm in most places to ship safely now...
some of us will be gathering near trout lake washington in 2 weeks.

for the price of a truffle (or2) we can offer trailer tours and first hand info...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...tml#post543662

see LOTS of units/shapes/sizes, meet famous 'streamers and ....

it really is the best way to look over and learn about a variety of twinkies...

u could even overnight in a tent,

we have fridges for the chocolate....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Soooo tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
some of us will be gathering near trout lake washington in 2 weeks.
I'm not sure I can make that, but it's very tempting.

Quote:
for the price of a truffle (or2) we can offer trailer tours and first hand info...

we have fridges for the chocolate....

cheers
2air'
Well, just in case I can make it ... and for future reference too, what flavors do you like? My specialty is liquored centers (like piņa colada or mint julep), but I make a wide variety and am always happy to consider new flavors.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni
...what flavors do you like? My specialty is liquored centers (like piņa colada or mint julep), ....
YES those!

booze and chocolate? you would be VERY popular at area 33...

where many folks have experience with liquored centers...

check out the video linked in the first post of THIS thread on the cocoa bean...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...sts-39649.html

cheers
2air'

Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #22
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Should I put this on the inspector thread?

Okay, I've emailed the guy about that Excella, and so far, so good. The TV situation sounds good too, although I want to check the manuals to make sure.

If the seller can do it this weekend, I would greatly appreciate a volunteer inspection of this trailer, which is in Oregon. Emailing pix is fine, and in addition to normal compensation, I'll send along a batch of homemade cookies, too.

Is anyone in the OR SoWA area willing to do an inspection this weekend? (Should I put this request in the inspector thread for better visibility?)
Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
The Explorer you mentioned might not be up to holding back a 32' Excella. But don't hesitate on studying up that one, appears to be a fair price. More homework for ya: Get to studying brakes and umbilicals and hitches and brake controllers.
Tell us what kind of brakes and their condition, what hitch, stabilisers, tires it has. (We don't care but for you to know your self)
(And I wouldn't trust your Truffles getting out of those guys' refrigs alive)
Old 05-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
I misspoke

Thanks, NevadaGeo! I misspoke about the TV; he has a Ford Expedition with the "heavy duty tow package". Last night I found a thread here that delved into the mysteries of that tow package, and once I finish my lunch I aim to check into that more.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
(Ooops, I mispoke too, I meant Sway control on the hitch, not stabilizers)
Expediton should do the job.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Sunni, You really need to look at the trailer yourself. However, if you still need some help, I'd be glad to go with you. I know where the trailer is and have met the owner. I'm very near I-5 just north of Vancouver. Darol
Old 05-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
"Help the new girl find a good Airstream fit"

It'd be easier to help a good girl find a new Airstream, but either way you've come to the right place. Good luck and welcome!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #28
SilverStreaker

Washington , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Sunni, You really need to look at the trailer yourself. However, if you still need some help, I'd be glad to go with you. I know where the trailer is and have met the owner. I'm very near I-5 just north of Vancouver. Darol
I understand that I'll need to do that before I make an offer on it (if that's what I decide to do). But it's a four-hour drive, one way, just for me to get to Vancouver WA ... and that's a lot of gas and time. I'd prefer to make that trip only once, if possible ... and additionally, being new to the Airstream scene, it just seemed smart to ask someone closer and more experienced for a first look-over.

Is that unrealistic? The owner isn't able to show the trailer this weekend, so there's time for me to see the error of my thinking here.