Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
league city , Texas
Smile help on questions about 82 classic

Hi, well here goes from the new guy on the block. I am very happily married to a lovely lady now for a short 26 years. We are starting to think about retirement and what we are going to do with ourselves. I have always said that I wanted to get a motorhome and see the many parts of our country that I have never before had the chance to see.

We are starting to look for a motorhome and I think we may have found one. It is a 31' classic, gas rig. I have only seen pictures and have not been to see the unit yet. I would appreciate any help with any problem areas any of you have encountered with this type of unit. One of the reasons I want a classic is because the looks are as great now as they were when the units came out.

I work for a battery company, so if there are any questions about batteries I will be more than happy to help and if I cannot I have an excellent source to fall back on.

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to talking with yall in the future.

mr. bill

mr. bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
There are some nice motorhomes out there take your time and look and inspect well. Welcome aboard

Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
league city , Texas
are there any A/S classic motorhome owners in Houston TX

Is there a classic motorhome owner in the Houston, TX area? If there is would you please let me know because I would certainly like to talk with you and pick your brain for any and all questions I have about the purchase of a 1982 310 Classic.

It is really tough to have been bitten by the "aluminitis bug" and not have someone close to share ideas with. I am definitely looking as hard as I can because the quality and beauty of the classic units, trailer and motorhome, appeals to something deep within me. HELP!

The forums are a great source of information and I would like to say "Thank you" to all the members who have contributed to the vast stores of information that is available to a newby like me.

mr. bill
mr. bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums Mr. Bill. I don't live in Houston but have been there a couple times and I do own a classic motor home. before answering any questions I want to give you my first piece of advice to anyone considering buying one of these beauties. The purchase price what ever you pay for it is only your down payment. Expect to loosen the strings on your wallet. You are buying a 24 year old piece of complicated machinery with lots of other complicated machines attached which are also 24 years old. Look around and see how many 24 year old cars you see on the street and that might give you an idea of what you are in for.
Good luck with your search. I would not sell my Chummy for any price, at least not tonight.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
canton , tx
Hi Mr. Bill and welcome. I don't live near Houston but I own a classic (79 28') and I love it. Chaplain Kent is right on about the upkeep and repair. However, I've owned newer other brands and much prefer the older Airstream. Check out the classified section here and for what is available and the general asking price. Good luck. joe
rvlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Dennis lives in Houston, maybe he will respond. If you search here you will find mention of all the typical problem areas, and a list of things to look out for.
Heat related engine issues, such as cracked or cracking manifolds, starter, and wiring are common. Also checking the RV systems for functionality is important...water, heat, ac, stove, fridge all that can be a mess to fix.

1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote