Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Church Hill , Tennessee
Help needed Craigslist Victim - N. Charleston

Well, hopefully not really a victim, but time will tell...

http://charleston.craigslist.org/rvs/1464658680.html

My first trailer. Got the title today, will tow it home Saturday (360 miles through the NC mountains and into TN).
My brother-in-law (mechanic) is going to check the tires, brakes and lights, re-wire the umbilical cable to adapt it to a modern socket on the Tow Vehicle, and re-pack the bearings.
No idea what is in the outside storage, no keys. Gonna get a locksmith on that Friday, though.
Wide open to any last minute "check/do this or you'll really regret it" advice, and/or if there is an experienced airstreamer nearby that would look it over for me prior to the tow, would really appreciate it. I called a nearby trailer restoration company and asked the head honcho there, but he never called me back.
Also, the rear window was removed entirely and replaced with a sheet of plexiglass. Any pointers to a rear window for this unit (with inner frame/operators) would be great.
Mark@Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@Sea View Post
Well, hopefully not really a victim, but time will tell...

http://charleston.craigslist.org/rvs/1464658680.html

My first trailer. Got the title today, will tow it home Saturday (360 miles through the NC mountains and into TN).
My brother-in-law (mechanic) is going to check the tires, brakes and lights, re-wire the umbilical cable to adapt it to a modern socket on the Tow Vehicle, and re-pack the bearings.
No idea what is in the outside storage, no keys. Gonna get a locksmith on that Friday, though.
Wide open to any last minute "check/do this or you'll really regret it" advice, and/or if there is an experienced airstreamer nearby that would look it over for me prior to the tow, would really appreciate it. I called a nearby trailer restoration company and asked the head honcho there, but he never called me back.
Also, the rear window was removed entirely and replaced with a sheet of plexiglass. Any pointers to a rear window for this unit (with inner frame/operators) would be great.
Looks pretty decent and not a bad price if it is complete and okay shape. Is that a rear bedroom center bath model?

What route are you taking? I-26?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Church Hill , Tennessee
Hi Aaron,
Yes, rear twins, center bath. And yes, taking I-26. Home is an hour away once I hit the TN line, and I live about 5 miles from exit 0.
Seems complete, as far as a newby like me could tell, except the refrigerator was replaced by an electric-only model. Tambour door under the sink is tough to slide, the one in the front isn't too good either...
Didn't notice any sagging/soft flooring on my walkthrough.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
locks- no key

Knowing what I know now.....I would not spend the money on a locksmith. The lock on these units are special and for them make keys for mine would have been expensive. So what to do?? I would drill out the locks-locksmith gonna do it anyway-and go get new locks. When I replaced mine on my '73 and '75 argosy's I got all my locks key alike, that way I only have a door key and a compartment key. My 30' foot Excella has a door key and 8 compartment keys-what a pain!! JMO.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your "new" airstream. Good luck with the tow home.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Church Hill , Tennessee
Good tip on the locks, thanks!
You wouldn't have a model # handy for replacements, would you?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Many RV manufactures use the same lock companies ......I would check with some dealers in your area......You might just get lucky.
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Church Hill , Tennessee
Will make some calls tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Nice job on getting a mid-bath. I love my Sovereign because of that.

Good luck on the rebuilding. My recommendation on the rear window is to watch for wrecks. You can get a window frame out, the whole thing, in less than an hour.

Here's some insights on windows:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ent-57687.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/672704-post61.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ews-32184.html

The biggest problem you'll have once you remove the plexiglass replacement, given you find a replacement frame, is finding that you have a crappy hole cut in the shell skin. This is usually something that was done at the factory, so don't blame the PO.

Zep
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Good tip on the locks, thanks!
You wouldn't have a model # handy for replacements, would you?
Replacement original locks are available, but very expensive. They are called a "KT lock".

Lock kits are available at a fraction of the original lock cost.

Post an informative picture of the rear window area. Replacement, complete windows with frames are available, but if the shell was carved up, then that becomes a very different story.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Church Hill , Tennessee
Thanks, All...
Will post a pic shortly (I'm shipboard, slow internet). I'll be looking for those lock kits!

By the way, one of my odder hobbies is collecting and restoring Coleman lanterns/stoves. Guess I have about 300 of them...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Church Hill , Tennessee
On closer inspection of the one picture I have of that, I may be an idiot. I think I found my rear window. I thought it was a rock guard (why put a rock guard on the rear, dummy?), but looks as if the original window was removed, flipped, and hinged somehow from the top... ???

Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
On closer inspection of the one picture I have of that, I may be an idiot. I think I found my rear window. I thought it was a rock guard (why put a rock guard on the rear, dummy?), but looks as if the original window was removed, flipped, and hinged somehow from the top... ???

Yep, you found it.

Your windows are what is called "deluxe" since the lift arms are a different style that Airstream used for just a very few years..

Reversing the hinge and replacing the gasket, is not a big deal.

Now, if the rest of the trailer issues are this simple, then my friend, you will have it made.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Church Hill , Tennessee
SCHWEEET! Yeah, who knows, I might win the lottery...
Andy, expect I'll be PM'ing you a wish list in the near future. Lock kits, gasket, lift arms, etc.
Darn glad I found this forum!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks, All...
Will post a pic shortly (I'm shipboard, slow internet). I'll be looking for those lock kits!

By the way, one of my odder hobbies is collecting and restoring Coleman lanterns/stoves. Guess I have about 300 of them...
I have a few lanterns and stoves too, but not 300.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I got a replacement key for less than $2 at Out od Doors Mart for my outside storage compartments.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I don't think I would transport it with the rear window like that!! I think I would remove the air conditioner for travel and repair the window or if the weather is nice enough just tape some plastic in the hole. Replacing the window correctly and securing it closed would be the best choice but may not be practical not at home. The way it is now I would be afraid of breaking the glass. Good luck take pictures and let us know how the trip goes. (I suspect it will go fine and will you be posting great news!)

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'm with Mike - remove the rear window and a/c and tape plastic over the window. A fabric store or the fabric section at WalMart will have some pretty heavy duty clear plastic you can use. It’s what we used to cover openings to get Little Girl home. Plastic held on with gorilla tape – never budged for the 1300 mile trip.

The PO probably took the “J” hinge at the top of the window and flipped it over so it would install into the hinge upside down. Flipping it back over should be really easy. They might have used screws instead of the original rivets to re-attach the hinge. To remove the window, raise it up past 90 degrees to about 45 degrees, and it will drop out of the hinge. Just have a good hold of it before it releases!

Good Luck!
Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Church Hill , Tennessee
Oh yeah... Pulling the AC from the rear window. If the hinge was screwed in place, I'll flip it. Otherwise going with the duct tape/plastic sheet idea.