Old 01-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
1984 31' Sovereign
Zebulon , Georgia
Help - need water; sleep too.

Hi all.
I'm Larry and my wife is Terry and we are new to the Airstream community.It will become painfully obvious that we are clueless so I want to appologize on the front end if anything I say offends any owners. We just purchaced a lot in the mountains of north Georgia that has an Airstream on it. Its a 1984 Soverign and seems to be in great shape. It is semi premantly attached and will probably stay this way. Our first major concern is that we can't figure out how or where to attach outside water to the the camper. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Another less pressing concern is that our camper has two twin beds in the back, seperated by a night stand. We would like to replace these with one queen size bed if this is possible. Anyone with any information on either problem would be kind to help a couple of newbies.

Larry and Terry

larterba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Hi and welcome to the forums. I changed the title of your thread just a little (OK - a lot) to get more responses.

If you use the search tool (upper right hand corner of tool bar) you may be able to find info on reconfiguring the sleeping area - several forum members have done this.

Anyone out there have a manual from 1984 with the location of the water connection?

1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It should be ahead of the rear bumper on the left side. You may need to get down on your hands and knees to find it for the first time, but it's there (unless it has been removed for some reason).
I have found that removing the nightstand, and moving the two twin frames together, makes an almost perfect queen-size bed. All you would need to do then, is go to your favorite mattress store and pick out your new mattress. If it were me, I would measure length and width of the resulting bed before buying a new one. RV beds tend to run smaller than standard sizes.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Welcome to the world of Airstream ownership!. As you can see, I live not so very far away.
The first thing I would say to you BEFORE you put water into your Airstream is FIND OUT HOW TO WINTERIZE IT!
I am a member of the GA unit WBCCI and we have a campground not far from Helen, in the North GA mountains. I can only try to convince you how much damage it does to an Airstream when it freezes with water in it ANYWHERE.
Do a search here on this site, go to forums and then chase it from there, to find out how to winterize.
Then, when you plug a hose to your unit the first time, get a flashlight, and get your head into every crevice you can find, under the beds, (they do open up from the side), under the vanity and the kitchen sink, under the false floor in the closet, if it has one, around and under the commode, and in the outside compartments. Make sure it is a GOOD, BRIGHT one, so you can spot any small or BIG drips that may be there. If it has been in the N. GA mountains on a permanent basis, unless the previous owners were very diligent, then it may or COULD have leaks in the water system now. Never go home leaving water pressure of any kind in your unit.It is 3 hours from the trailer to your home, and that would be long enough to completely soak your floor! If it is between Oct 30 and April 1, always do a complete re-winterizing every time you leave it. The electrical supply in that area is suspect, and although you might leave the heat on, there is a good chance it could take a hit.
I am jealous of your acquisition, yet am excited for you at the same time. Congradulations!
Now, there is a very good mattress company, in Griffin of all places, that will build you a perfect fit matress of any quality you desire. One of the owners even is an Airstream owner. They make to order and are very reasonable. It is called Griffin Mattress CO on Airport RD. When you come in from Zebulon, go straight through the light there at Ingles and Rt 19. When you get to the next light, turn left, and it is about two blocks on the left.
Let this be an invitation for you to join us at The Top of Georgia, and to join our unit. For more info, email
2000 390 Landyacht XL
1989 29' Excella
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote