Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Help - need info on Tradewind

Help!
Hello everyone,
I am about to check out a 1961 24foot Tradewind that just might be the answer to my dreams. BUT...I need to know what to look out for. I understand that tail separation is a problem? Or did I just make that up?
Any advice to a newcomer is VERY welcome indeed. If it all works out I hope to join you all more often!
Thanks so much!
Adrian LaTourelle
latourelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
HI and welcome - I'm not sure the 24 footers had seperation issues. Maybe some one else can chime in here. Try doing forum searchs for rear end seperation and tail droop. You may find some useful info.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto Janet

I don't know much about the 60s but am more familiar with the early 70's models. From what I think I know the model that was most prone to rear end sag was the early 70's Sovereign (31") rear bath model. Several factors made this model prone to rear sag:1. longer rear overhang 2. extra weight in the rear from bathroom and water tanks. 3. rear floor rot from leaks in bathroom plumbing 4. lighter frame. The Airstream is a monococque design with the rear floor an integral part of the whole body's integrity. If the floor is rotten where it attaches to the frame and wall that's a problem. The recomended test procedure is to have a big strapping man, or woman, jump up and down with vigor on the back bumper. If the bumper moves but the coach body doesn't you got it.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
ask Andy

Your so close to Corona ( I'm in Texas and "close" is a relative term") drive over and talk with Andy at Inland.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
The recomended test procedure is to have a big strapping man, or woman, jump up and down with vigor on the back bumper. If the bumper moves but the coach body doesn't you got it.
That would work . . . , but simply doing a firm two handed push on each end of the bumper while keeping an eye on the area where the shell and frame meet seems to be enough to diagnose rear separation. If the frame separates from the shell, even a little bit, the problem is starting. You could probably inspect a trailer for sale this way without the owner even noticing. Jumping on the bumper, however, might get somebody a little annoyed.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote