Old 02-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I think you really have to take something out for at least 5 to 10 trips to try it out before you make a decision about not keeping it.

If storage is an issue, ask around. Aistream owners get very creative with that.

Serenity's sure are purty, hope she gives it a chance.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Peoria , Arizona
19 ft vs bigger

19 ft is a great size for 2 people Easy in & out of gas stations. Sometimes r v parks don't have room for a big unit but have room for a small one Easier on gas

Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Reinke View Post
19 ft is a great size for 2 people Easy in & out of gas stations. Sometimes r v parks don't have room for a big unit but have room for a small one Easier on gas
All true- Dad never squirmed an inch about maneuvering our 31' Sovereign Twin into and out of gas stations and the like- but it got pretty tight at times, I am sure. I like being able to park my rigs in two parking spaces in the mall parking lot with very little hanging out of either end!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Anything Bigger Wouldn't Fit

You will get to see that there are quite a few campsites, especially National Forest and State campgrounds that feature smaller sights. You will notice when you make reservations online they will give the maximum trailer length. I have found that many say 18'. I have found that a 19' Bambi fits. The photo below is in one of the "most perferred campsites" in Yosemite Valley. A 20'er with my tow vehicle probably wouldn't fit.

Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	540.3 KB
ID:	122807  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Thanks all, this is very helpful for easing the mentor torture (newroswell). She was onboard and is still very excited. It probably didn't help that it was rainy and cold our first time out and I didn't brush the dogs (it looked like we were shearing sheep in our Airstream after a couple days). But the points you make are great and why I went small in the first place.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lakeville , Minnesota
You may not like this but, I had the same experience with a 19' Int Bambi. After buying it and spending two weekends, it was clear my wife was not as much a fan of the size as I. In an effort to make this new trailering lifestyle harmonious, I returned to the selling dealer and asked for mercy in my quest to upsize our rolling abode. Long story short, we are absolutely thrilled with the 25 Ocean Breeze and the rewards have been amazing.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Easier to park.
Easier to tow.
Easier to store.
Easier to get into smaller campsites.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post

My thought - find a nice state campground where you can tuck the trailer away into a wooded corner, off by its lonesome. Sit by the fire, watch the flames reflect and flicker on the side of your shiny new trailer, and appreciate and celebrate the achievement of a dream.

Tom
Awesome. little tear in my eye Exactly what she needed to hear.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #23
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The weather makes a huge difference in the outcome of a trip. Just last weekend it was beautiful on our trip to Dana Point. This weekend it was rainy and cold. It would not have been a third as fun if everyone was crammed into the rvs for an entire weekend. I'm almost thinking she's reacting more to the weather than the trailer.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet3177 View Post
You may not like this but, I had the same experience with a 19' Int Bambi. After buying it and spending two weekends, it was clear my wife was not as much a fan of the size as I. In an effort to make this new trailering lifestyle harmonious, I returned to the selling dealer and asked for mercy in my quest to upsize our rolling abode. Long story short, we are absolutely thrilled with the 25 Ocean Breeze and the rewards have been amazing.
I think i'm going to work on convincing her, but curious what kind of hit did you take in that transaction?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
I think it all boils down to "need" -vs- "want", if you get the 25ft. AS, then maybe she may see the need to get a 30ft., then a 34ft. later. My practical side says, if what you have works, then I would stay with what you have, esp. considering you won't get back what you've put into it. However, we got a 31ft., and yes we've been turned away from some campgrounds b/c of no reservations or being full, but then, we have to consider the resulting adventures as a result! Case in point, (not actually an adventure for my wife & I...., but) we had to back track in the middle of the night, literally (2am?), to boondock at Wallyworld, (again, I emphasize not actually an adventure.......) but it WAS hysterical the way our girls reacted, "what, no campground, a parking lot......, (imagine teenagers with eyes rolling up and back at that point) SERIOUSLY......, we could be killed, the light, the noise, the...... I'm sure you get the point. They had never boondocked before, so highly entertaining. Incidentally, probably one of the best night's sleep they got that week. Not to mention, the following morning hearing, "Can we go into Wallyworld, and find something for breakfast?" (the novelty of it all). Now imagine mom & dad, "SERIOUSLY, we have a whole trailer loaded w/ food!"

Unless you can't make what you have work, then trade up! Otherwise, maintain the status quo!

Good luck, Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lakeville , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
I think i'm going to work on convincing her, but curious what kind of hit did you take in that transaction?
I only lost about 4G, a lot for two weekends, but the price of indecision I guess. Anyway I hope whatever your outcome, you have a lifetime of enjoyment with a wonderful traveling vehicle. You really can't go very wrong.
-Tim
Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Promise her "we will look for a gently used one" - as our SECOND Airstream. Take her boondocking in the woods, where a 25 would struggle and a 34 Tri-axle wouldn't venture. Go to a Forum Rally. DO park at a grocery store or a restaurant just using 2 spaces. If I win the lottery I'll have a smaller one - and probably a larger 27 FB too.

The little one would be perfect to camp at Bells Island NC and watch the swans in the morning. Or for a quick weekend trip to visit a friend in Maryland.... The bigger one, for fulltiming and long trips.

Paula

Oh, and take the dogs to the groomer before the trip starts. Or just shave them.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We love our 19'...sure...we sometimes talk about how nice it moiht be to have something larger (who doesn't?) but we are still happy with our decision to go for the 19'...easy to tow, don't need a huge truck and we can take it anywhere... Even if we were to get something bigger, we may decide to keep the 19'...we just love it...it's like playing house with our little family...

Give it a chance and enjoy it...

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serenity, washington, 19', dog