Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Easier to park.
Easier to tow.
Easier to store.
Easier to get into smaller campsites.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post

My thought - find a nice state campground where you can tuck the trailer away into a wooded corner, off by its lonesome. Sit by the fire, watch the flames reflect and flicker on the side of your shiny new trailer, and appreciate and celebrate the achievement of a dream.

Tom
Awesome. little tear in my eye Exactly what she needed to hear.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #23
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The weather makes a huge difference in the outcome of a trip. Just last weekend it was beautiful on our trip to Dana Point. This weekend it was rainy and cold. It would not have been a third as fun if everyone was crammed into the rvs for an entire weekend. I'm almost thinking she's reacting more to the weather than the trailer.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet3177 View Post
You may not like this but, I had the same experience with a 19' Int Bambi. After buying it and spending two weekends, it was clear my wife was not as much a fan of the size as I. In an effort to make this new trailering lifestyle harmonious, I returned to the selling dealer and asked for mercy in my quest to upsize our rolling abode. Long story short, we are absolutely thrilled with the 25 Ocean Breeze and the rewards have been amazing.
I think i'm going to work on convincing her, but curious what kind of hit did you take in that transaction?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
I think it all boils down to "need" -vs- "want", if you get the 25ft. AS, then maybe she may see the need to get a 30ft., then a 34ft. later. My practical side says, if what you have works, then I would stay with what you have, esp. considering you won't get back what you've put into it. However, we got a 31ft., and yes we've been turned away from some campgrounds b/c of no reservations or being full, but then, we have to consider the resulting adventures as a result! Case in point, (not actually an adventure for my wife & I...., but) we had to back track in the middle of the night, literally (2am?), to boondock at Wallyworld, (again, I emphasize not actually an adventure.......) but it WAS hysterical the way our girls reacted, "what, no campground, a parking lot......, (imagine teenagers with eyes rolling up and back at that point) SERIOUSLY......, we could be killed, the light, the noise, the...... I'm sure you get the point. They had never boondocked before, so highly entertaining. Incidentally, probably one of the best night's sleep they got that week. Not to mention, the following morning hearing, "Can we go into Wallyworld, and find something for breakfast?" (the novelty of it all). Now imagine mom & dad, "SERIOUSLY, we have a whole trailer loaded w/ food!"

Unless you can't make what you have work, then trade up! Otherwise, maintain the status quo!

Good luck, Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lakeville , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
I think i'm going to work on convincing her, but curious what kind of hit did you take in that transaction?
I only lost about 4G, a lot for two weekends, but the price of indecision I guess. Anyway I hope whatever your outcome, you have a lifetime of enjoyment with a wonderful traveling vehicle. You really can't go very wrong.
-Tim
Rivet3177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Promise her "we will look for a gently used one" - as our SECOND Airstream. Take her boondocking in the woods, where a 25 would struggle and a 34 Tri-axle wouldn't venture. Go to a Forum Rally. DO park at a grocery store or a restaurant just using 2 spaces. If I win the lottery I'll have a smaller one - and probably a larger 27 FB too.

The little one would be perfect to camp at Bells Island NC and watch the swans in the morning. Or for a quick weekend trip to visit a friend in Maryland.... The bigger one, for fulltiming and long trips.

Paula

Oh, and take the dogs to the groomer before the trip starts. Or just shave them.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We love our 19'...sure...we sometimes talk about how nice it moiht be to have something larger (who doesn't?) but we are still happy with our decision to go for the 19'...easy to tow, don't need a huge truck and we can take it anywhere... Even if we were to get something bigger, we may decide to keep the 19'...we just love it...it's like playing house with our little family...

Give it a chance and enjoy it...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
I wanted an Airstream as long as I can remember.... but all my wife can think about is how small it is, and she really regrets not getting the 25ft.
This is probably not going to help, but....... This story sounds familiar. Our first Airstream was a new 2007 20' SE, that we drove from FL to OH to purchase (I thought it was the perfect size for us....not!).

Six months later we trade it for our 2008 25' FB in AR, and lose $5k. It is now 2.5 yrs, 22,000 miles, and 144 camping nights later. Do I have any regrets.....not a one! We are not the kind of people that consider a $5k loss chump change.....but the dot com days were much worse, so life happens. There are only two of us, and I have modified the trailer somewhat by replacing the dinette with a leather recliner, along with a few other doodads. We tow it with a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab hemi, and consider it a "perfect" combination for us......other folks may differ.

You only go around once in life.....make each day the best that your wallet and health can afford.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
If you had the 25', you might wonder if you should have gone with the 19'. Consider getting the tropical screen room attachment for your awning and enjoy the additional outdoor space ... trading up would be an expensive change of heart!!

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums
Any recommendations on the screen rooms? The ones with water-filled tubes at the base requiring an hour of hose filling sound kind of scary...
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
If you can afford it start the negotiations with the dealer ASAP.

IMO if it's not going to work then bite the bullet and move on up, the longer you ponder the bigger the pocket book bite.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmit1 View Post
Any recommendations on the screen rooms? The ones with water-filled tubes at the base requiring an hour of hose filling sound kind of scary...
You want fast.....try this. We have one, it's well made.....and can be set up in "less" than 60 seconds.......

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
We have a screen room but I rarely fill the tubes with water. It takes me all of ten minutes to put it up/down even if I do use water. It's nice to have some additional space on occasion.

Even if you don't use a screen room, you can substantially enhance your experience by putting some focus on how to utilize the outdoor space under and around your awning.

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We have a 22' Safari, in our 60s but really dont want anything bigger. We have been to a places that 22' is the largest they would accommdate. Tend to spend most of our time outside while camping, so size of the trailer isnt too great. When you are "house bound" due to weather, we are still quite comfortable. Also we could not have anything bigger to park next to our house, which I find really - really important. Know it is not a 19' but perhaps after a few trips your wife will find that it will work for now.Plus you are young and and always upsize and then downsize as you get older.
Not matter what you do have loads of fun.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2
We could not have anything bigger to park next to our house, which I find really -
Great point. When I explain to friends, one of the many reasons for my airstream over an sob was how it looks parked along the house, like a sculpture. A 25 would dwarf my little 1000 sqft house. No matter how often I get out it's still going to be parked more often than not...for now.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #36
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I have no regrets with going large.. at 16 thousand pounds of combined vehicle weight we rumble down the freeway and the adventure starts all the while I have a big smile on my face.. however, a nice little 17-19 footer with a 1/2 ton yukon might would reduce the stress factor significantly. Best of luck in your quest for the perfect size rig..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #37
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
So many factors...

There are soooo many factors when biting the bullet and purchasing your first trailer. My 19 footer is my first ever trailer, and some of my deciding factors were mostly what I felt comfortable pulling for they types of trips I want to do, the age of my kids and how long until they no longer want to camp with dad, what I can actually afford, etc. The list goes on and on. I have two girls that still come camping, an Airedale (70 lbs) and a chocolate labradoodle (55 lbs), the latter or which ate the wires to my sub-woofer. (Irony)

I think now I should have gone with the 25, but I couldn't really afford it at the time, so I'll happily use my 19 ft until such a time that money flows again and rational thought is over-ruled by dreams of larger shiny aluminum eggs. Even though my wife thinks it's just too small, I feel very blessed to even own an Airstream rather than an SOB.

Enjoy what you have while you have it. Who know what tomorrow brings.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Just to close up the thread...

Thanks all for the great advice. I read all posts to my wife last night on our drive home and she really got a kick out of all the comments. This is a very cool forum and we're excited to be part of the Airstream community. As for the trailer, 19 ft was always the right fit and we're happy to have a versatile Airstream. I'm also going to try shaving the dogs, they're going to be so mad at me but hey, we all have to pay a price to glamp.

Tags
serenity, washington, 19', dog