Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Perrysburg , Ohio
Help me convince my husband!

Hi All! I'm so happy I found this forum! For years I've been dreaming of living the nomad life in an Airstream. My husband roles his eyes whenever the subject comes up. We're in our 50's and have lived in Ohio, Florida, and California, so it's not like he isn't adventurous. I'd be interested in hearing your comments. I know I'll convince him eventually, but I could use some help. Thanks and glad to meet you all! Becky
BeckyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
You need to get him to a Rally, where he can see a bunch of Airstreams and meet some folks who have done a bit of this nomad stuff. July 31 - August 2 there'll be a rally in Milan, MI. just north of you about 40 minutes. There'll be a bunch of folks there who'll be happy to give you a tour of their trailers and help "sell" your hubby on the idea. Or you can just run away from home with some Airstream guy - maybe that'd convince him ... !!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Becky
Hi and Welcome. We are in our late 60's and early 70's and while we are not nomad's we enjoy camping with our friends, like Ryann (AirsDream) .If you stay tuned here I think Dave or Rhonda(Detroit-Metro Rally) will post a schedule of events. There will be an OPEN HOUSE where everyone is WELCOME. You and your husband can tour vintage trailers from the 50's and 60's up to the present. Im not sure of the chain of events but If I remember theres a PotLuck after.
Please come join us in Milan,Mich at KC Campground thats only like 40 minute drive and we will attempt to answer all y0ur questions.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Perrysburg , Ohio
A Rally! That is the best idea! I'll put it on my calendar. Sounds like fun. Last year we went to an RV show in Novi, but it wasn't satisfying. Too many pushy salespeople and there were only one or two Airstreams in a sea of big expensive RV's. At least it convinced us both of what we don't want. I'll keep watching for more details on the rally.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Massachusetts
I have a similar problem - my two sons love the idea of getting an Airstream, but my wife isn't thrilled.
Dismayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
HI Becky!
I 'worked' on my hubby for quite some time too. It is a huge investment that hopefully will be richly rewarded.

I took him with some friends to a couple of vintage trailer rallies...liked the Airstreams and decided that vintage was not the way we wanted to go.

It helps if one of your friends gets an Airstream....

Went to a dealer in Ohio to look and dream. I didn't care for the dealer ...."You've looked almost 6 months, aren't you ever going to buy?" I begged his pardon for my slowness but this camper almost cost what my first house did! Had he been a bit more understanding that not everyone pulls the trigger on a 40+K purchase quickly he may have made a sale.

Do you camp at all now? What may really help is are the comments from my hubby after our first trip (he was the reluctant one who really 'got the AS for me')
- "It pulled like a dream"
- "We were set up and packed up in less than half the time of our pop-up"
- "Yes, it was nice to have our own bathroom"
- "Wasn't it fun when people passing by our site would stop, stare, and drool???"

Go to the rally! I'm sure the guys there will help you out.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Ditto to 'go to a Rally'. However, even if not at a rally people will wave at you when you are with your vintage Airstream and when you are in a campground you will be asked to give tours of your coach. We are in our early 60s and early 70s. and are enjoying our 'youth'.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
For HUSBANDS Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post
I have a similar problem - my two sons love the idea of getting an Airstream, but my wife isn't thrilled.
HINT FOR MEN ONLY - Many women dread "camping" because it turns out to be ZERO Vacation for them. Dad and the kids go fishing and hiking. Mom cooks and does dishes. This feels a lot like her daily life - where she probably works 60 hours per week 7 days per week. Camping sounds like, different day - same stuff.

If you want to get your wife on board, YOU will have to get your kids and yourself committed to giving mom a vacation from being "caretaker". Either you send her to Hawaii alone for a week every year in return for getting the Airstream, or YOU make all of the beds every day, you plan and cook all of the meals, and you do the dishes. On vacation, I'm a fan of paper plates (though I do like real silverwear) and having at least one meal that consists of hotdogs and beans over a campfire... but the kids have to have balanced meals including vegetables and fruit most of the time. Put the kids in sleeping bags - roll'em and stow'em. Take as little as possible so there's less to clean up afterwards.

Make sure your wife gets a day or two of doing what SHE wants even she goes to a day spa, for a manicure and fresh hairdo - or sit around for two hours reading a trash novel - while you take the kids rock climbing.

Oh, and teach her to tow and let her go off and do the Rivette thing once and a while!

Paula
Old 07-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Is his issue with camping or Airstreams?

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Don't let him watch any Robin Williams, Chevy Chase or Lucy & Desi rv movies.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
It may be easy just to fly somewhere and stay in a hotel -- What's Hiding in Your Hotel Room? - ABC News

About 16-17 years ago a carpenter friend took an old Airstream as part payment for a job. They never could get the smoking smells out of it and sold it. End of story? 'Fraid not... That gave my wife the Airstream bug and hoo-boy did I ever laugh that one off! Now look at any of us -- we resemble that remark.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
I second the motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
HINT FOR MEN ONLY - Many women dread "camping" because it turns out to be ZERO Vacation for them. Dad and the kids go fishing and hiking. Mom cooks and does dishes. This feels a lot like her daily life - where she probably works 60 hours per week 7 days per week. Camping sounds like, different day - same stuff.

Paula
I think you hit the nail on the head there

- Natasha

tdturn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula
I guess I'm doing it right. When we go camping we reverse roles. I do all the cooking, mostly because I like to do as much over a campfire. Then I do the clean-up. That was true when the kids were with us AND now when they and grandkids camp with us. Of course our daughter volunteers and son-in-law takes care ofthe camp site ie rounds up firewood and maintains the fire. Now when it's just Lynn and I we share the duties.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
#1 reason......No motels.

Hi, the main selling point or reason for buying an Airstream was to travel, stop when and where we want to, and always have our own bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room. [no more motels] Yuk!!!!

I take care of the trailer, the tow vehicle, and do the driving. My wife pre-cooks most of the food at home. I do the set-up and hitching things while my wife sets up the interior things. I cook the breakfast, my wife makes the pre-cooked lunches and dinners. I do the dishes and she does the bed. [Team Work] This is not carved in stone we just work together to make things easier for both of us.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the main selling point or reason for buying an Airstream was to travel, stop when and where we want to, and always have our own bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room. [no more motels] Yuk!!!!

I take care of the trailer, the tow vehicle, and do the driving. My wife pre-cooks most of the food at home. I do the set-up and hitching things while my wife sets up the interior things. I cook the breakfast, my wife makes the pre-cooked lunches and dinners. I do the dishes and she does the bed. [Team Work] This is not carved in stone we just work together to make things easier for both of us.
Bob and his wife have got it right: teamwork. You have to both want it and one usually has to talk the other into it, but the other one has to become enthusiastic about it too. By the way, my wife helps with set up, hitching and drives too. We do what each of us is best at, but help each other whenever we can. We hate motels. Besides the dirt problem, they are all the same and not very comfortable. We don't have to eat in bad restaurants either which is very important to us as we like healthy, well prepared food—there aren't a lot of restaurants that do that.

Get some Airstream brochures. Visit the factory and take the tour. Have a discussion where you tell your husband just why you like the idea so much. There are a few KOA's (check their website) where you can stay in an Airstream for the night. My wife got me into this and I didn't want to tow anything, but she showed me how important it was to her and I agreed to look into it. Once I looked around at trailers and read stuff on the Forum, I was hooked. There's no doubt traveling this way is very different and there's a lot of maintenance, so just the idea takes some getting used to.

Of course, if that doesn't work, there's the new husband option.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:54 AM   #16

Currently Looking...
Perrysburg , Ohio
Thanks everybody for your insightful and funny tips and stories. When we were first married almost 30 years ago, we camped in a pop up and then a tent. About 15 years ago we bought a timeshare and our camping days came to an end. But we haven't been using the timeshare much lately. My sister and her husband took early retirement a couple of years ago and became fulltime RVer's. (In a big fancy motorhome, not an Airstream. lol) We have visited them and even stayed with them in their RV. Guess that has put the camping bug back in my system. I don't know why I'm so attracted to Airstreams. My guess is you all felt/feel the same way. . . Anyway, that's my story. Hope to see you at the Milan Rally! And Digger Bear, thanks for mentioning the Kentucky Rally. We'll see where we are in this process by next April! Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Sharing

As Bob and Gene have said...teamwork is essential.

In our case, as with many others I'm sure, it just fell into place naturally.

Stream'n ain't always easy and there is plenty of work to go around.

Me..I'm in charge of "stuff", which includes: TV, trailer, campsite set-up and maintainence, boat, fishing gear,(DW loves to fish), generator, firewood, dog, libations, weather, rowdy neighbors, small children, items we forgot, fresh water, sewer duty, and anything else I'm told.

DW is responsibe for the good times we are about to have.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Who cooks, Bob? Do you have meals delivered?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

I don't really know Gene....the meals just seem to appear out of thin Air...stream.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We also "share" duties. He is "in charge" of the the outside, I am "in charge of the inside. I do a lot of double batch cooking & freezing, so have extras to throw in for cooking ease.
We tend to sleep much better while out in the A/S. Although the bed is smaller than home, for some reason, it is very comfortable & inviting after a long hard day of sitting around doing nothing. Well except maybe a crossword, sudoku or reading some book we picked up at the 2nd hand bookstore.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote