Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I think the key is to make your RV as comfortable as your home or more so. First get an RV with a pedestal queen bed. Take out that uncomfortable sofa and put in some really comfortable recliners. Loose the rock hard mattress and get a Select Comfort (Camping World) or other extremely comfortable mattress. Buy the nicest cotton sheets for it plus get a great microfiber down blanket to put on top. If you make the RV comfortable enough he won't want to go home to the old stuff!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #22
Tech Source

2006 22' International CCD
Pleasant Shade , Tennessee
Well, all good points and most agree comfort, freedom, and enjoyment are the keys to good Airstream adventures. Unlike some, I would say if you help around the house then being out should not change your actions or expected duties. I do all the towing and most setup, for this I get the first on site meal fixed for me, after that it's back to normal. The key we found for over 7 years we did the Rallies and such and after being out for 10 years have just got a 1994 34' Excella, is to make it like home. We keep it fully stocked (food, clothing, etc.) and it's not a task to get it and go. Time Share's and box campers are great........plan for weeks, rush to get in and have fun, then back to work...Airstreams to us are more of let's go enjoy ourself for not much more than the cost of a movie.
mdyeargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
On the personal side. Tell him how romantic it could be.. Just the two of you, camp fire, bottle of wine, and plenty of time to kill if you get the hint

I have a 3 and 6 year old so this isn't the best selling point for people with kids...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #24
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
BeckyT - I would try to talk w/husband a bit before attending the rally. See if he will discuss what his reservations about having a trailer/camping are.

Then, when you get to the rally, you will have some inkling of some of the things you might discuss w/veteran AS owners. For instance, is he concerned about what towing an AS is like, is he worried about finding AS parts, does he think AS trailers are all old and falling apart? He will be quite surprised at the rally, if it is anything like the one we attended a couple years ago. There is such a wide variety of trailers and owners - new and vintage, young and young at heart, completely remodeled and kept original. And, there are many rallies that have workshops to attend. He will have to be one tough cookie not to get involved (if he likes to camp/travel at all) Good luck & keep us informed as to how it progresses!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

I don't have any suggestions for you but it would be nice to see another
Airstream in a yard near Toledo. We're in Whitehouse and we just don't see many Airstreams around here! Good luck!

Roadsub
2005 Safari SE LS
250 PSD
Roadsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Watch This Thread

BeckyT,
Since you live in Ohio, you may want to subscribe to this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...ing-50587.html

Maybe you can hook up with them on one of their outtings and help persuade the hubby to try Airstreaming

Just be careful of the dreaded aluminitis disease.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Out of sighte and out of mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
I think the key is to make your RV as comfortable as your home or more so. First get an RV with a pedestal queen bed. Take out that uncomfortable sofa and put in some really comfortable recliners. Loose the rock hard mattress and get a Select Comfort (Camping World) or other extremely comfortable mattress. Buy the nicest cotton sheets for it plus get a great microfiber down blanket to put on top. If you make the RV comfortable enough he won't want to go home to the old stuff!
The other thing that is really great about getting out in your AS is that all the things at home that seem so much like work are left behind, out of sight and out of mind.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote