Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
help! final questions before we pull the trigger on a 25' Eddie Bauer

Hello Airforum Community,

Well, after shopping for a very, very long time my wife and I are about to pull the trigger on a new (or newish) Airstream. As in this week. We started looking at the 16'… then the 19'… then the 23'… and have finally decided on the 25' Eddie Bauer which we feel will work best for the adventures we'd like to undertake.

Three questions that we'd be super appreciate of any help or comments:

1) What is the difference between the 2012 and 2012 1/2 25' Eddie Bauer. All we got from the sales team was "HDMI cables instead of coax" and "some other minor stuff" but no specifics. We're trying to decide between an "early demo unit" with solar with some minor scratches and a distinct creak in the floor by the bed vs. a perfectly new 2012 1/2 that we haven't seen yet (not at the dealer yet). I've looked extensively online and can't find anything explaining the differences. Anyone know? Also appreciate any thoughts on buying a demo with a creaky spot in the floor.

2) Table wiggle. We love the special Eddie Bauer edition and the flexibility in its configurations. However the table just isn't 100% stable and wiggles. Any suggestions?

3) After reading obsessively through the forums (thank you all!) on tow vehicles and to spare everyone the whole process, we decided that the Touareg (my favorite) wasn't enough and the heavy duty trucks were too much (wife a very tough sell since its in theory her car). We landed on the Ford F-150 with Ecoboost. I know everyone has their favorites but does anyone have any concern that this wouldn't work well.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the valuable information in the forums. We look forward to meeting some/many of you in person in our future Airstream adventuring.

BC
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
Hello Airforum Community,

Well, after shopping for a very, very long time my wife and I are about to pull the trigger on a new (or newish) Airstream. As in this week. We started looking at the 16'… then the 19'… then the 23'… and have finally decided on the 25' Eddie Bauer which we feel will work best for the adventures we'd like to undertake.

Three questions that we'd be super appreciate of any help or comments:

1) What is the difference between the 2012 and 2012 1/2 25' Eddie Bauer. All we got from the sales team was "HDMI cables instead of coax" and "some other minor stuff" but no specifics. We're trying to decide between an "early demo unit" with solar with some minor scratches and a distinct creak in the floor by the bed vs. a perfectly new 2012 1/2 that we haven't seen yet (not at the dealer yet). I've looked extensively online and can't find anything explaining the differences. Anyone know? Also appreciate any thoughts on buying a demo with a creaky spot in the floor.

2) Table wiggle. We love the special Eddie Bauer edition and the flexibility in its configurations. However the table just isn't 100% stable and wiggles. Any suggestions?

3) After reading obsessively through the forums (thank you all!) on tow vehicles and to spare everyone the whole process, we decided that the Touareg (my favorite) wasn't enough and the heavy duty trucks were too much (wife a very tough sell since its in theory her car). We landed on the Ford F-150 with Ecoboost. I know everyone has their favorites but does anyone have any concern that this wouldn't work well.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the valuable information in the forums. We look forward to meeting some/many of you in person in our future Airstream adventuring.

BC
BC

If you don't ask, the questions will remain.

This Forums, is all about sharing knowledge, but you have to weigh the value of some answers.

Some are experience, some are facts, and some are opinions.

Judge them as you see fit.

Welcome to the world of Airstreaming.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have 2005 Safari 25FB that we bought new in 2006. Since that time, we have spent 1,013 nights in her and have pulled her 90,000 miles. We are totally satisfied with Lucy. She has met our every need and expectation.

We pull Lucy with a 2500 Suburban and a Duramax pick-up, but less could work in less demanding use.

The floor plan works for us for a s long as ten weeks at a time.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Table wiggle could be because the leg is loose underneath the table, or something is coming apart. They all move a little. Take a look underneath.

Floor shouldn't creak. Did they leave out some the screws in the subfloor?—you can't tell because of the flooring. Was there a serious leak and the subfloor is rotted? That needs investigation.

A demo unit with scratches and creaky floor should go at a serious discount.

Ford EcoBoost: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ost-74084.html
All favorable truck posts are in direct relation to the truck owned by the poster.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Thanks Gene - great advice on the floor and thank also for the ecoboost thread. Nothing there dissuades me on the ecoboost... only change is I'll probably buy the Ford extended warranty since the ecoboost long term quality isn't yet proven.

Thanks Brian... glad to hear the positive comments on the 25FB, especially the "ten weeks at a time comment."

Sage advice Andy. Our final "ok let's do this" moment was at the RV park on the beach in Huntington Beach (West and a bit south of you) and talking to a couple who's lives had been changed by the trailer lifestyle.

Anyone know the difference between the 2012 and 2012 1/2 25' Eddie Bauer? Greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!!

BC
Old 03-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our first Airstream was a 2007 demo, and we now have a factory-fresh 2012 Flying Cloud 25B. The demo unit is no better than a used trailer, get the new one.

The first 2012 EB were produced alongside 2011 models. They may be lacking interior light dimmers, china toilet, propane/electric water heater, larger tv's, blu ray player/HDMI cables, more LED lighting, propane hookup, that are on the 2012 production.

We wanted the EB model until we actually performed the transition from dining to hauling mode. Stowing the dining table is ridiculously difficult, along with the rest of it. Table is not steady and likely to get worse. Where do you cook, dine, and lounge when traveling when this is a hauler? They are heavy. All this nuisance for $10,000 more than the Flying Cloud.

Get a loaded Flying Cloud for thousands less, optional bike rack on the back of it, put you adventure gear in the back of the F150 under a topper, and you will have a more usable setup.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our first Airstream was a 2007 demo, and we now have a factory-fresh 2012 Flying Cloud 25B. The demo unit is no better than a used trailer, get the new one.

The first 2012 EB were produced alongside 2011 models. They may be lacking interior light dimmers, china toilet, propane/electric water heater, larger tv's, blu ray player/HDMI cables, more LED lighting, propane hookup, that are on the 2012 production.

We wanted the EB model until we actually performed the transition from dining to hauling mode. Stowing the dining table is ridiculously difficult, along with the rest of it. Table is not steady and likely to get worse. Where do you cook, dine, and lounge when traveling when this is a hauler? They are heavy. All this nuisance for $10,000 more than the Flying Cloud.

Get a loaded Flying Cloud for thousands less, optional bike rack on the back of it, put you adventure gear in the back of the F150 under a topper, and you will have a more usable setup.

doug k
Much as I hate to admit it, Doug K makes a lot of good points - especially what a FUBAR the table is in the Eddie Bauer. The table top is supposed to store under the bed. "If you don't have a hernia - stow and unstow that top one time". Seriously - throw it out. Buy an aluminum one that rolls up. Forget about using the dinette for a bed.

OTOH - The EB is so sexy - and I really love the CCD style upper cabinets with the leaf motif on the plexi doors. And if you do want to haul a kayak or bikes, it's handy. You do lose the under the seat storage though. (I'd get the Serenity over the EB, but that's just me.

You get what YOU like! See you down the road.

Paula
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Aptos , California
Everyone has their own preferences. My wife and I looked at the Eddie Bauer this past weekend and we thought it was great. The table is a bit wiggly, but I don't think it is a big deal personally. You could always try installing some removable pins that lock the legs to the table top when in use. I didn't find the table to be a problem to move. I would make some feet for it so that it could be used outside as well.

We also loved the idea of having the screen for the cargo door so you can leave it open. Really lightens up the interior.

If it weren't for the school tuition that I have to pay for the kids, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The 27EB looks good on the plans too. Good luck with your purchase. It is going to be your trailer, so get the one that makes you happy.
Dave
farmerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Doug K -- Your advice "The demo unit is no better than a used trailer, get the new one" was sage and on target. We were feeling queasy on the demo unit and your comments and previous experience with a demo unit was the final push to do what we really wanted - get the new one.

Thank you Paula and Dave... more great advice (get the one you want) which we took! And Dave I feel your pain on the school tuition. We've been shopping this for about 10 years and could final make it happen.

We are now the proud owners of the 25' Eddie Bauer. All the comments about the EB are fair but in the end the gull door made us whimper. We love the large screened opening to the outdoors and the door is perfect for securing 8' surfboards. Or bikes. Or whatever.

We started years ago looking at the 16' then spent a few years looking at the 19'. We saw one Airstream dealer go out of business. We fretted that Airstream would go out of business in 2008 or 2009 in the Great Recession. Ultimately and after reading many forums with all of your fantastic comments we really gave serious thought to how we intend to use it. We'd like to eventually spend months or more at a time on the road and landed at the 25'. I figured if I waited any longer my wife continue to expand her dreams and would fall in love with one that was 30' or longer.

Next step: tow vehicle. We now own a 25' foot Airstream with nothing better than a Prius to haul it. Since everyone on the forums said the dealer would tell tall tales about capabilities of tow vehicles we had a bit of fun with it. We asked (with a straight face) if the Prius, outfitted with a proper hitch and weight distributing, could pull the Airstream. In fairness to Airstream Northwest (who did a great job with us), they very professionally and firmly said "no."

Thank you all!!!! And hopefully we'll soon see many of you on the road.

BC
Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Aptos , California
congratulations

Good luck with your new trailer. That cargo door has me hooked as well. For what its worth, I have a Ford Expedition Limited EL with air suspension and it is a great tow vehicle.
Dave
farmerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Insomnia - will hit 4 days before you take delivery.

Camping - should happen on the dealer's lot or a nearby campground the day you take delivery.

"New Car Syndrome" - you'll only get over it by doing #2 in it. Sooner or later that WILL happen no matter what you plan, so just DO IT.

Regrets - humans always tend to second guess themselves - and sometimes we DO actually make more mature decisions as a result of making premature ones, but making your HEART happy IS a good decision - practicality be damned! So do more, see more, live more!

Happy Trails and see you down the road! Paula
Old 03-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Insomnia - will hit 4 days before you take delivery. .........
Paula
No kidding! I was going nuts waiting the last few days..... It is so worth waiting for though.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A big Forums congratulations on your new baby! You've done your research. Now go out and have some great Airstream adventures. We would love to see some baby pictures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
OK, so I am jealous, I can handle that. You have a beautiful 25 ft. Eddie Bauer and now you are going to get a new, or new to you, TV. I am a fan of Toyota but you will have lots of things to think through before you decide on your truck or SUV.

I have an '08 Tundra with the 5.7 and the tow package. This thing pulls my 25 FB like a champ. Been all through the Cascades, the North Cascades, the dreaded Vantage hill and a lot of Northern California and the mountains of Montana and have never had a problem. It is a great match for your trailer.

But.......think long and hard about how you travel and what you plan to put in the bed of the truck. The Tundra is a half ton and doesn't have payload like a 3/4 ton does. We travel light with a couple of bikes, a generator a little wood and that is about it. Our half ton works very well for us.

Today there are a lot of great vehicles out there and you will have many to choose from. My "other" car is a Prius. I get about 42mpg in the winter and 49 in the summer. My Tundra gets 17 on the highway when not towing so I figure my "fleet average" is just above 30mpg! I can live with that.

Welcome to the forum.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What aftermath said about the Tundra.

Or chain a 2 or 3 Prii together and tow with that combination—like a freight train with several locomotives.

Congratulations on the new toy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
What aftermath said about the Tundra.

Or chain a 2 or 3 Prii together and tow with that combination—like a freight train with several locomotives.

Congratulations on the new toy.

Gene
I love my Tundra 5.7 pulls my 06 Safari 23 like it isn't even there. Dewinterizing this weekend.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Just to confirm your buying decisions, you made some nice choices with the EB 25 & EB 150. I tow with both a Touareg and Ecoboost and since it sounds like you will be hauling extra play toys, having the pickup will the best choice. Especially since you may discover hauling muddy mountain bikes and sandy surfboards inside your new trailer a messy trade off, even though that's what the trailer was designed for. But you'll be able to make that decision on your own. Congratulations, and you should be very happy with the Ecoboost!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Chico , California
Love our 2012 Eddie Bauer

My husband just brought home our 2012 EB. I've spent all day learning the ins and outs of the trailer, including setting up and tearing down the table. Our table isn't shaky, but maybe we just got lucky. I also didn't find stowing the table a hassle. Trailers are tight on space, and I think the stow space is really smart. It's worth the ability to carry bikes and a kayak in the trailer for us.
We pull ours with a 3/4 ton Duramax pickup. It did a stellar job pulling through some rough winter conditions through New Mexico and Arizona.
Regardless, I hope you're happy with whatever trailer you choose.
bikemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Arlington , Washington
Congratulations, BC! I can only imagine the look on the sales team's face when you asked about towing with the Prius. Priceless. We also bought our new Airstream at the Covington location and they were great--we pick it up on Friday!!! I totally agree with Paula--I can't wait to pick up our new coach and I'm sure insomnia will hit tonight.
cloudflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Chico , California
Congratulations! Maybe our Eddie Bauers will meet on I-5! I hope you have a great time with your new addition.
bikemom is offline   Reply With Quote