Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #21
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Congrats on the new trailer. The newness hasn't worn off for me yet - 8 months later! Hope there are many happy days ahead for you.

If you haven't put based the F150 yet I suggest you inquire about getting one with the max payload package, in addition to the max trailer tow package. The truck will come with upgraded tires, shocks and leaf springs. The axle limits on the standard F150's do not leave you much room for stuff in the bed when the trailer tongue weight is accounted for.

Don
Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
If I recall correctly, the differences between the 2011/2012 model and the updated 2012.5 include the HDMI cables, dimmable LEDs inside (instead of halogen?) and a porcelain toilet (not plastic). We went with the 2012.5 even though it was a little bit more expensive.

Great choice on the trailer! I would not be my first choice for a full time or long trip because of lack of storage, but we use it with two dogs and two kids. The EB has really durable fabric and flooring that works great with the way we use it.

Our TV is a 1/2 ton Suburban. It's adequate but not stellar.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
A huge thank you to all of you for your great wisdom!

CrawfordGene – Love the Prius freight train concept!

Goal15 – yep… good luck with the de-winterizing.

Mojo – we’ve enjoyed your many thoughtful posts, especially about the Touareg. We love the Touareg (what’s not to love) but in the end decided to go with a full size truck after we settled on the 25.

Calair – Congrats on your EB!!! Agree that the table isn’t that big of a deal. The ľ Duramax is a great choice. My wife in I, before kids, used to do some work with CSU Chico… you live in a great town. Hope to get back down there some day. And yes will look out for you on the road.

Cloudflier – Hey fellow Covington Airstream buyer! Say “Hi” to Craig/Nick/Steve when you pick your up tomorrow. Which one did you get? Totally agree with Paula on the insomnia!

DMT – Great suggestion on the F-150. We looked at this but alas it only comes in the 6 ˝ bed, which would be the smarter way to tow especially with the max payload package. In the end we compromised (as in my wife and I) and went with the 5 ˝ bed and max tow. We live in Seattle… narrow streets, alley etc and optimized for daily driving.

Phbarnhart – Agree with all of your comments. And congrats on the EB! Hope to see yours on the road too.

My wife picked up the F-150 today. It looks great. Alas life conspires against us and it will be a week or two before we pick up our Airstream for good. We’ll post “baby pictures” for sure once we get all sorted out.

Again, thank you all for the support!

BC

Ok … one last question. Weight distributing hitch or no? I’ve had mixed advice. Some “you’d be stupid not to” and some “if the F-150 is properly set up you don’t need it.” Any experiences with current model F-150 shortbed and a 25’ or longer Airstream?

Thanks again!

Barry
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
My wife picked up the F-150 today. It looks great. Alas life conspires against us and it will be a week or two before we pick up our Airstream for good. We’ll post “baby pictures” for sure once we get all sorted out.

Again, thank you all for the support!

BC

Ok … one last question. Weight distributing hitch or no? I’ve had mixed advice. Some “you’d be stupid not to” and some “if the F-150 is properly set up you don’t need it.” Any experiences with current model F-150 shortbed and a 25’ or longer Airstream?

Thanks again!

Barry
Hi, I would recommend that you do use a WD hitch; And I believe that Ford still recommends driving your new truck for at least 1,000 miles for break-in before towing. This is mainly for breaking-in the differential ring and pinion gears.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What Bob said. The WD hitch will give you an extra margin of safety as to sway and equalize the weight on your front and rear truck axles.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
What Bob said. The WD hitch will give you an extra margin of safety as to sway and equalize the weight on your front and rear truck axles.

Gene
+ 1

Also, think about one of the sway elimination hitches like Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride. You've just spent a good amount of money on a great set up, another $2500 for a pro pride will (from what I've heard, mine is on order) finalize the experience.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Brand new EB Airstream, brand new Ford TV....

A quality WD hitch with sway control is a no brainer...not only for you, but also for your fellow travelers.
Well worth the peace-of-mind.

Bob
Old 03-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
If we win a little piece of the lottery tonight, we'll be at the dealer tomorrow to order an EB. The flip up door with full screen really brings the outside in - when we saw an EB at the dealer, we decided that's the one for us, someday. Make sure you take time to enjoy it - no excuses.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Had your maiden voyage yet?

We live in the same neck of the woods, hope to catch you on the road some time. We just took ours out for the first time last weekend to Deception Pass state park. Easy, flat drive and a spectacular place to visit. I'd highly reccomend for a first time trip. I cant remember the last time we had so much fun camping.

PS - I tow with an "08 F150 SCrew 5.4 (tow package) with a Equalizer WD hitch and it was great - but again, no hills yet!
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
btowntincan - great recommendation on Deception Pass! We took our maiden voyage this past weekend there and had a spectacular time. Love the Airstream (what's not to love) and the EB 25' fit us and our 16 year old perfectly. We joined another family what we're friends with and had a blast. Some pics (finally):

Boondocked. Used all the systems (except TV radio). Including the oven. Dumped without making a mess. Of course made a bunch of silly first timer mistakes but survived it all and got back in one piece.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice... see you on the road soon.

BC
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
That's a good looking rig

Great pictures, very reminiscent of our trip. I think that's a great campground. Glad things turned out so well on your first trip.

Did you end up using the rear clamshell door much? Any hassle with it?
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Thank you!

Rear clamshell stayed closed this trip. It was cold at night so we kept the AS buttoned up and warm. We were out-and-about during the day and left it closed. Our take on the clamshell is that it is a) easy to open b) the table wiggles a bit more than the same model without and c) the under-bench situation is different. We're hoping for some warm weather trips that will include surfboards that will bring the whole clamshell situation into play.