Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Question Hello ..what size generator should I use?

We have just joined the forum and intend to start using our 31' 1981 Excella II that my brother bought new.
We are intending to buy a generator to carry in the back of the truck for running the A/C when we are at a campground that does not have power. the A/C on the roof is a Coleman Mach 3 Rotary. the owners manual says it runs on 115v on a 20amp circuit breaker.

What size generator should I buy? 1000w, 2000w, 3000W???
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob And Gail
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
If you want more info, do a search for generators, but briefly, here are some key points.
Honda and Yamaha are the quiet ones.
Honda 1000, or 2000 by itself will not run A/C
You need either a 3000 or two 2000s connected in parallel
The 2000 can be carried by most folks
the 3000 can be carried by some folks (140# or so)
I don't know much about the Yamaha series, other than they are also well liked.
If you don't need to run A/C, either the 1000 or 2000 will keep batteries charged and light use but for the $300 or so difference, I would get the 2000 in that scenario.
Good luck,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Bob & Gail -- and welcome to the Forums!

This will take some degree of research and learning. I have the quiet 40# Honda eu2000i that will not run the A/C unless paralleled with a 2nd. One step up in the Honda line will run the A/C but you seem to realize it is too heavy to readily move from a truck bed. Yamaha makes the other capable, modern & quiet genset. These both have very clean output that would be ideal for running a computer or flat screen TV.

Quiet as they are, they auto-throttle to a fairly significant noise level when demand is put on them by a convection microwave or A/C. I'd think about fuel supply and endurance when operating at this level -- it might take a pretty significant effort to operate for 24 hours. Others have rigged their Hondas to run on propane only -- there's a kit for that. Yamahas can come from the factory already rigged for LP ... don't know if they're dual fuel. Anybody?

I find that I use campsites with electric hookups about 2/3ds of the time. I do some state & national forest camping without hookups and other times I just don't reserve far enough in advance to get a hookup site at state parks. You'll probably find almost all commercial campgrounds will have electric hookups. I only use my generator to recharge my batteries every day or so or when I'm running the convection microwave.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Ditto with what FYRZOWT says.

I use a 3500 watt unit. It is a bit heavy to the point that as I am getting older I need to ask my sons to help me put it in the bed of the truck. While at the site, I keep it in the bed and run it from there. There are some with wheels but the trick would be to get it up into the bed.

Even with a 3500 you still won't be able to run both the AC and the Microwave at the same time.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I just got theYamaha 2400is. It gives you all the power of a 20 amp circuit. Runs my 11,000btu air conditioner just fine. It's a bit bigger and heavier than the Honda (it's 70lbs) but not too bad. The tri-fuel conversion lets you run it off your LP tanks so you don't have to carry gasoline.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
I have the Yamaha 3000 with battery boost and electric start. I picked this one because it allows you to install a remote switch to start it. On those cold mornings it would be nice to kick of the coffee without ever leaving the bed. If it were not for this I would have gone with a pair of Honda 2000's simply for the scalability and reduced weight.

Our first trip in our AS was this last weekend. Wifes first order, "install the remote for the generator". ...Yes Ma'am!

BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Boatboy, cool photo and location. Is that on private land?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatBoy
I have the Yamaha 3000 with battery boost and electric start. I picked this one because it allows you to install a remote switch to start it. On those cold mornings it would be nice to kick of the coffee without ever leaving the bed. If it were not for this I would have gone with a pair of Honda 2000's simply for the scalability and reduced weight.

Our first trip in our AS was this last weekend. Wifes first order, "install the remote for the generator". ...Yes Ma'am!

Boatboy,

I have the Yamaha too...let me know where you got your remote start and how it works out for you....great generator, I leave mine in the truck just like you and it actually cuts the sound (not much noise to begin with) even more.

John
Old 06-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Many thanks for the replies and food for thought.

I want all to know that I appreciate the input. Thanks again.
Bob and Gail
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Boatboy, cool photo and location. Is that on private land?
Yes, it is my parents. CDF requires they have a pond for forest fires which as it turns out is a great place to camp.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Boatboy,

I have the Yamaha too...let me know where you got your remote start and how it works out for you....great generator, I leave mine in the truck just like you and it actually cuts the sound (not much noise to begin with) even more.

John
$399 plus $25 shipping from: Wireless remote start System kit for electric start portable generators from Honda, Yamaha Robin Subaru and more.
My friend has it installed on the same gen and he loves it. The price seems a bit high but it comes included with the unadvertised bonus factor...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole81
the A/C on the roof is a Coleman Mach 3 Rotary. the owners manual says it runs on 115v on a 20amp circuit breaker.

What size generator should I buy? 1000w, 2000w, 3000W???
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob And Gail
This is not an easy question. For single phase A/C loads, the formula is
P = E X I X .8
P = power. E = voltage, I = amps, .8 = power factor. so, for example, if E = 110, I = 15, and PF = .8 you have:
110 X 15 x .8 = 1,380 watts or 1.38 KW
But, this formula dose not consider resistance in the circuit and resistance in the circuit causes E to drop from the generator to the load (the A/C). If the resistance causes the load voltage to drop to 100V then you have:
100 X 20 X .8 = 1,600 watts
( note, I went up as E went down.)

But, During the starting time when the unit is coming up to speed it takes like
seven times the runing current so 20 X 7 = 140 amps for five to ten seconds.

Some of the engineers may dispute my numbers - I've had a good bottle of wine with dinner, but the message is the same - Buy a small generator for boondocking with no A/C and save the A/C for hook ups
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have the EF3000iSEB which is the 3000 watt inverter unit with an additional 500 watt boost from the battery if required. It is extremely quiet. My AC is a 13,500 Dometic Penguin which the Yamaha runs just fine. The Yamaha weighs around 151 lbs and I either have someone help me pick it up and roll it into the truck or I place aluminum arched ramps to roll the generator into the truck.

If you are not concerned about how loud the generator is because you are camping on private land with no one near you then buy any of the contractor generators with a 30 amp twist receptacle and at least a 3,500 watt capability. Park near others with that type of unit and someone will eventually put sugar in your gas tank.

If you want quiet along with backup 12 v. battery charging capability, buy a couple Honda 2000 units with the parallel setup with 30 amp trailer receptacle like that sold by Gentran or Honda. These generators weigh around 48-50 lbs. each and are easy to haul around. You may want to also think about DuraPowers 5 gal. gas container set up to fuel the generators at the same time.

If you want electric start and don't mind moving around a 151 lb. generator then buy the Yamaha 3000iSEB rather than the Honda 3000. Shop around for the best deal. I bought my Yamaha through Wise Equipment off ebay for a little over $1800 shipping included. A good friend just bought two Honda 2000's with 30 amp parallel kit for a little over $1,300 at a grand opening of a Northern Tool outlet. Sweet deal.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Hm, well this is Texas...thus a good deal of the summer camping without power or a sizable AC is just out of the question. Rest of the year though one can leave the power behind and not anticipate frying in the bunk.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Gensets

I'm with you on that one rmpray... summer camping anywhere in Texas requires AC not only to cool but in central & east Texas, to help with the humidity. So far this summer, it's been in the mid to late 90's and with 80% humidity, heat index is in the 100's (doesn't matter how much shade you have with that humidity!). August & September are on their way, too... ohboy... need a lake close by...

Good discussion on gensets - we've been entertaining the notion so as to have more camping options. Sometimes, lined up side by side in a park leaves ALOT to be desired, esp. when playin' music with buds around a fire. The 2 Honda 2000's sounds like a good idea - (or perhaps 2 Yamaha 2400is), leaves you with options when you need some power for battery charging but not the AC like in fall or winter camping. The 2000 would be sufficient for firing up the furnace, right? Coffee maker & microwave...(emphasis on coffee)?

Speaking of playin' music around a fire... last summer at Pedernales State Park, we were doing some jamin' around the fire and drinking some, uh... adult beverages and soon enough, there were a host of people all around having fun. We'd earlier grilled up some beef and had some fixin's for fajitas. Emptied a jar of jalapenos during dinner, which was left sitting sitting on the park bench table. At the end of the evening, we were cleaning up and found the jar stuffed with money in it - guess folks thought it was a tip jar (gotta remember that one!). Anyway, the jar still had the jalapeno juice in it... (small price to pay for drying out those bills, I guess). Can't imagine though, what those bills must of smelled like sitting in someone's wallet after they got in circulation...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The main advantage to the Honda 2000I is that you can run two with an optional 6 gal tank sitting on the ground next to it or them. This would allow you to make it through the night if you are running the air to sleep with it. I bought mine from Wise Gen. sales. I received it 3 days after I placed the order and I think it was 865. with shipping and no tax! I think the 6 gal tank and the connectors where about 125. I also like the flexibility of being able to just take one small one like for cool whether where you just need it for coffee, blender microwave etc.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I'm just about sold on the Yamaha EF3000iSEB. It's got the boost feature, wheels are included, it's quiet, reliable, and hey -- it's also blue.

If anyone sees a screamin' deal on the Yamaha, please let me know. I'm in the market to buy IMMEDIATELY (like before our summer migration to Yellowstone).
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' International
Hello,
I just finished the install of the remote start on my Yamaha. I was shocked at the price but after I received the kit I began to understand why. The kit is very well done and the instructions are thorough. I was able to start my Generator in my garage from the top of my driveway! The kit includes a single key fob, the remote receiver, an auto choke mechanism, and a very cleanly built wiring harness.

There is no need to turn the key on or mess with the choke. It does have an on/off switch (which you mount on the switch panel of the generator) for disabling the receiver when not in use or for storage. This prevents the batt from draining.

The entire project took one hour. Not including the 30 minutes of trying to find someone to impress afterwards.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Boatboy,
Where did you get your remote system?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Where to get Remote system

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatBoy
$399 plus $25 shipping from: Wireless remote start System kit for electric start portable generators from Honda, Yamaha Robin Subaru and more.
My friend has it installed on the same gen and he loves it. The price seems a bit high but it comes included with the unadvertised bonus factor...
Boat boy gave us the detail in an earlier post.

John