Old 06-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
jackson , Tennessee
Hello to all

Hello everyone,
I have recently acquired a 1973 26ft Airstream Argosy that I will be living in for about six months in order to have a place to live while I finish school. I am currently in the process of earning a degree in aviation management and have experience as an Aviation Mechanic, so I guess rivets and aluminum are kinda in my blood. I am came here originally to learn about what to look for when buying a airstream and also things to watch out for like floor rot among other things. Now that I that have become a full member and not just a lurker I intend to glean knowledge and ask for help with any problems I may encounter along the way. I also intend to share my knowledge of aluminum and rivets with anyone who needs help in these areas, and also the slight knowledge I have in electricity. Thanks again,
Nat

Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Hello right back at you! I have ridden on airplanes but thats as far as it goes I have blood on my rivets too! As a matter of fact I think that I have bled on the frame the floor and a few places on the shell! But as they say it works better after you bleed on it! again welcome to the forums. Now if it is not too much trouble could you post some pictures? We all like pictures!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
jackson , Tennessee
I don't know if this is going to work or not but I only have one picture of the Argosy at this moment on my phone so here it is..... That's the tow pig as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	189200  
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the forum!
Nice looking rig!
What kind of weight distribution are you using? The front of the truck looks a little high! Be careful and go slow.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
jackson , Tennessee
I think it is the hitch that came with the airstream although I am not 100% certain about that. I do know that i didn't have the hitch hooked up right in this as I just had it hooked up to the truck without the weight distribution bars attached. I have since learned how to use the weight distribution bars properly and will be using them on my next haul I think this will make a difference. Another reason may be that the leaf springs are probably due to be changed or at least have some helper springs installed as my truck has hauled its fair share of tractors, boats, lawnmowers, mulch, sod and other things in the past as it has over 170,000 miles on it. I was wondering though if it is the hitch that came with the argosy are these decent hitches or are there better options out there today?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
You are in the right place to get all your questions answered. I was in the same spot less than two years ago. The AirForums are rich with info and the membership very willing to be helpful. You'll find some threads have lots of different opinions, so ultimately you will have to make a call. Check out the thread on "tires" and you'll see what I mean!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
There are better hitches than just a few years back. I still use a 40 year old weight distribution hitch after trying a few newer ones.
Look near the top of this page and find the Forum tab. There are subsections under that tab, one being hitches. Look/search there and you will find several discussion. Pro Pride and Hensley Arrow hitches seem to be the hottest right now, because they are best at stopping sway. But hold on the your $, you may get sticker shock!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
ProPride gets my vote for hitch. It gets rid of the sway for sure. We have towed with lots of different things.
And NO, we are not related to ProPride's super Sean Woodruff!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
jackson , Tennessee
You weren't kidding those things are ridiculously expensive, that is highway robbery. I will stick to the hitch that is on there right now hooked up the right way and see how that works for the time being. Thanks for the advice though A W Warn and loudruff
Old 06-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hello to all

Greetings ncrenshaw33!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrenshaw33 View Post
I think it is the hitch that came with the airstream although I am not 100% certain about that. I do know that i didn't have the hitch hooked up right in this as I just had it hooked up to the truck without the weight distribution bars attached. I have since learned how to use the weight distribution bars properly and will be using them on my next haul I think this will make a difference. Another reason may be that the leaf springs are probably due to be changed or at least have some helper springs installed as my truck has hauled its fair share of tractors, boats, lawnmowers, mulch, sod and other things in the past as it has over 170,000 miles on it. I was wondering though if it is the hitch that came with the argosy are these decent hitches or are there better options out there today?
There are a number of hitches that may have been installed on your Argosy by the original selling dealer, and yours may be the one the started life on the trailer or a later model. Some of the possibilities include:
  • Reese Weight Distribution Hitch (Trunion)
  • Reese Straight Line with Dual Cam Sway Control (Classic Clamp-On)
  • Reese Weight Distribution -- Round Bar
  • EAZ--Lift Round Bar Weight Distributing Hitch
  • EAZ--lift Weight Distributing Hitch -- Trunion
  • Draw Tite Trunion Style Weight Distribution Hitch
  • Draw Tite Round Bar Style Weight Distributing Hitch
  • Equal-I-zer Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Control
There are likely others that I have left out, but I believe all of the above offered versions of their current hitches.

Good luck with your new rig!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
jackson , Tennessee
Thanks overlander64, I will have to check this out when i get home for the 4th and see which one I have for sure, but if I am thinking if I remember right that it looks very similar to Reese Straight line with dual cam control. I also made a screw up when looking at this trailer which is that it is not a 1973 model like I had originally thought but it is indeed a 1974 with the grey tank installed in it. I would have figured this out sooner but i had to leave the next day to go back to school, and there is only so much you can figure out over the phone.